Old timers on crotch rockets!!!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Mar 29, 2005.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

This last Sunday 27 March, I went and scouted out Latigo Canyon Road in my car because I've heard that it's quite a tightie. And it was quite a tightie. I am going to ride it this weekend coming up and it should be pretty fun. Not as much moto traffic as Muholland Hwy because in my humble opinion, it's more challenging and longer of a ride (or at least it seems like the twisties go on forever!!!). Lots of tight curves, lots of whoopdedoos, decreasing radius 90-degree turns, all in all, a very demanding ride.

There were quite a few sports cars out there: A bunch of Porsche 911 (turbo and regular flavor), Boxster, Honda S2000, a couple of Lotus Elises, three BMW Z4s (including mine), and a bunch of modified Mini Coopers. But I digress.

So, there I was, running down Latigo Canyon Road at a pretty good pace in my Z and I saw a group of crotch rockets (CBR1000s, R1s, Gixxers and one lone Hayabusa) approaching from behind, so I slowed down and let them pass then I followed them down. These riders were quite good, entering the corners silky smooth at pretty darn high speeds (my car was averaging about 40+MPH in these tight corners) and just the way they handle the bikes, it's a beautiful scene to behold.

It's also a good thing that traffic was non-existent because I was scared to push my car much faster fearing to run slightly wide and clip a motorcyclist coming up the hill.

At the end of the run, I went up to the riders and when they popped off their helmets, they were all in their early to mid-fifties. BadASS!!!

I didn't think that the Hayabusa would handle so well because it's a heavy and long bike, but that old pop made it dance like a ballerina. Skills and experiences, baby ^c

I'm gonna ride this road but I think that I'll stick to the speed limits. ;J

Others will ask why I don't have objections with people riding crazily out here while I was so vehemently opposed to stupid street ridings.

Out here, everybody knows the name of the game. You don't have to worry about soccer mom broadsiding you or drunkards pulling out in front of you, or running into children crossing the street. Here is where you do your speed runs and your wheelies/stoppies.

2. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Back in the day(not too long ago)I used to do the Sunday Morning Run up Hwy 1 North of San Francisco from Marin to Pt. Reyes. Although it was a very good group and a fun ride there was a small group of crazies that ran ahead of the pack. I'm sure they were good riders but it was just crazy. As I came around a turn and started down a hill I saw one of them coming out of the bushes and picking up his bike. Didn't even check its condition just jumped on and went like a bat out of Hell!!!
    I'm a cruiser now(well almost).:cool:

3. FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

the guy that lives 2 doors down from me is in his late 40s possibly 50 but i doubt it and he still ride crotch rockets. he teaches trackdays. he keeps telling me i need to go and i know i need to go but i havnt had the funds to rent the leathers and had the time to go a whole day to play on the track on my "financed" bike. insurance wouldnt like it if i brought them a mangled wreck fresh off the track ;) but hey if i ever get the time and money to match up the bike is all ready for it!

4. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

You're funny. My wife and I both ride Hayabusas. I will be 56 in May and my wife is .......older!

The only people that don't understand how well a Busa handles are people that have never ridden one. It is somewhat heavy (compared to liter bikes) but it goes around corners better than I.

Did I mention the power?;f

5. FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

;z
    lol thats funny. no offense but all i can think about is the walking cane complete with horn that i got my grandpa for a gag gift last year. but dont worry he is in his 70s lol u gotta long way to go.

id love to go up to a hayabusa for the lower seat height. makes for a comfortable long distance tourer. i love the power!

6. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

My Dad has 3, and he's 56. He'll never stop riding them. He is very fast (i.e smooth with the controls). I'm helping him build his 1100 Katana 1216cc, 38mm carbs, ignition, yada yada.
    He also has a beautiful '84 GPZ 1100 and a '00 TL1000S. Just goes to show that age has nothing to do with what bike you choose. If you want a Goldwing buy one, just don't make excuses like "I'm too old to ride a sportbike, so I bought a cruiser/tourer". All of his friends are over 50 and ride the hell out of their sportbikes. Alot of them ride dirt bikes too. Never under estimate your elders! I always learn something.

7. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

My dad got his motorcycle license 2 years ago. He is now 84.

He rides a... (cause I know you all will ask) ..........Vespa!

:cool:

8. markos

markos

9. FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

whats crazy us u look at them and u dont think anything about it but truth be told i bet they could ride circles around me lol. experiance pays! i will be the first to admit that i may have put some milage on my bike but i know i will always learn something new from someone who is "older" than me. ;)

10. skorpio

skorpio Arsenal? Me?

Geezersquids got some taste. RC45 there on the right.

BTW, everyone I ride with on a regular basis is older than I am (31), nearest being 36 and the oldest is around 57. All on sport bikes.

11. 38special Ed

38special Ed

Not yet an old timer(I hope) but i ride and old time crotch rocket. I quess I kinda like doing things backwards, When i get old im sure i'll buy a NEW crotch rocket. My bike was made when I was only 11. good lord is she still fast tho. 86 zx900(pic taken last week) had her 6 years, stock and all original
    [​IMG]
    :cool:

12. sgtslwilson

sgtslwilson

Is it just me or were some of the best bikes in the world made in 1986?

For me?...the '86 VFR Interceptor!

13. norton

norton

Is that GPZ fuel injected? Mine was, and I had lots of trouble with it. Maybe I just had a bad one.

14. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Yep and Yup (he's my dad too).

I am probably going to buy it off of him so I can ride this summer. That FI is going in the garbage (1984 bike FI, hmmmm doesn't sound good), then on come some decent carbs.