close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Old slow notebook - do a system restore? Is this PC worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Z71bill, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

I just bought a new HP notebook PC with the Intel i5 CPU - dam it is fast :shocked:

It replaced an old Gateway 7330GZ - that has

Processor Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 532 with HT Technology
    (1MB L2 Cache | 3.06GHz | 533MHz FSB)

Chip set Intel® 852GME

Memory 512 MB DDR (1 × 512 MB), 333 MHz, DDR
    Expandable to 1.5 GB (I upgraded the memory to the max a few years ago)

It has an 80 GB hard drive.

It its day it was an OK machine - but it now takes 4 or 5 seconds just to load IE - 45 seconds to load AOL 9.5 (still use AOL for Email:embarassed:)

If you want the complete specs :dunno:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/7000Series/4997sp3.shtml

-----------------

If I want to set this PC up just as a way to surf the net - and get Email - maybe check my brokerage account.

Is it even worth messing with?

If I do a complete restore - reset it back to when it was new - will I just be wasting my time?

I doubt I have the skill to do anything too fancy (like load Google Chrome) but I have nothing to lose -

If I don't find a way to make it a little faster - it will end up in the back of the closet.

I have these choices --

1. System Recovery From Hard Drive

2. System Recovery from Recovery CDs (I made these when PC was new - have never used them)

Plus I need to decide

A. Full System Restore (Destructive) or

B. Full System Restore (with Backup)

Any advise appreciated!

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

3/C. http://www.lubuntu.net :)

No time like the present, especially w/ a spare machine. Use AOL's website for your email... I didn't even know they still made their bloat ware "internet software"

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

3. solomansousana

solomansousana

I'd say take it back to the state it was after you bought it. This will reformat the drive and reinstall the OS cleanly

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

Well I tried to do a restore - first from the original back up on the hard drive (partition "D" drive")- that did not work - then from the back up CDs I made when the PC was new.

Both times it looks like everything is going great - asks me to restart -which I do - Windows screen comes up - then it says

Installing Devices - set up is detecting and installing devises on your computer

and the blue bar that indicates progress gets about 1/2 way and it locks up.

I am stuck - looking for options besides target practice.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  5. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

If you have a little spare cash, grab you a small SSD and do a fresh operating system install on it. Should run pretty well after that. I just wish I could afford a SSD big enough to replace my Raid 0 array on my desktop.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Refer to post #2

7. rjrivero

rjrivero

VERY TRUE. It's impressive how well an old machine with lubuntu works. Better than most NETBOOKS on the retail floor with that VIRUS called WINDOWS.

8. mgo

mgo

Since your attempt to restore the machine to factory original failed, perhaps you might want to do:

1: defragment the hard drive

2: add more RAM, since 512 mb is very puny, and your linked specs page shows the machine will handle up to 1.5 gig of RAM

3: see if the machine will run Windows 7. Microsoft has a online site that will check to see if it has the hardware capability for that.

4: HP would likely have drivers and other things for the machine that you can get by downloading them. (you probably already know that)

9. Z71bill

Z71bill

The PC will not even start up completely now - it gets stuck - can't even move the mouse -on WINDOWS XP SETUP

I added the RAM to 1.5 a few years ago - I am wondering if I need to TAKE it out - do the recovery - then add it back - the extra memory is the only change to the PC.

10. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Personally, it sounds infected.

Many HiJacks will not allow a reinstall to complete for one reason or another... you need to run Darik's Boot N Nuke on it, then try the reinstallatioin.

Sudden, or even gradual slow downs on Windows computers are a clue that they should be maintenanced - Backed up, Delete temp files, Deep Virus Scan (in SAFE MODE), Deep Malware Scan (while you are still in SAFE MODE), CHKDSK, the Defrag.

Lots of this can be setup as batchfiles and automated for the weekend or other down time.

I'm betting you were HiJacked, or the disk is out of "spare sectors". Try Darik's Boot and Nuke and let us know what happens.

HTH

11. Z71bill

Z71bill

I am a novice at PC stuff - I figured if I did a complete destructive restore it would reformat the hard drive - KILLING anything that could be hiding on it - and then reinstall the factory software.

I had no idea that a virus could survive this -

I burned a DVD of Darik's Boot and Nuke will give it a try.

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

Can't get Boot & Nuke - to boot up

I put the CD in the drive - turn on the PC - hit F10 - select CD/DVD - hit enter - and it still tries to boot from the hard drive.

Do I get better penetration on a notebook using 9MM +P+ or 45 ACP?

I tried to do another boot - it locks up and then a LOUD SIREN goes off WTF is that?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I still don't think that's a target notebook.. Especially if it actually has 1.5gig of ram, as opposed to 512mb.

Download regular Ubuntu if thats the case... A virus isn't going to keep you from doing a restore. If boot and nuke (which isn't going to help you in this case I don't think). How did you burn Boot and Nuke?

My first thought, is you didn't burn the disk properly.

1. Download ISO Recorder -- http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

2. Follow the instructions here to use ISO recorder to burn the ISO to disk-- http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

That should at least get boot and nuke to boot... unless your CD drive is messed up.

If you've got 1.5gigs of Ram, download the full featured Ubuntu, rather than Lubuntu. Don't limit yourself to Gatesian nonsense. :)

http://www.ubuntu.com

14. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

*oUcH*

Did you burn the ISO to the CD? You do want to download the ISO so that it will burn as a bootable disk - Which CD/DVD burning application are you using?

You also may wish to pull the battery and re-seat the hard drive. Should be pretty simple, and may require a philips head screwdriver if it won't pull out easily.

Viruses usually don't survive a format, but HiJacking tools are actually built that way at times. They want to *own* your computer!

Keep working on it, or throw caution to the wind and try Linux. I am an openSUSE kinda guy myself...

HTH

15. Z71bill

Z71bill

I just saved the boot & nuke file on a DVD - and then on a CD -

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That's the problem.

You need to follow the instructions "How to burn an ISO" in my above post. An ISO has to be burned as an image, so it can be made bootable.

IGF

17. Z71bill

Z71bill

Got the CD downloaded and IT NOW boots up my broken notebook - now all I need to do is figure out how to run it. :embarassed:

Looks like it is wiping the hard drive - says it will take 3 hours and 45 minutes.

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That I can't help you with... just pay attention, that software I believe is designed to nuke entire drives. Your drive contains your restore partition, and you need that to restore Windows.

IGF

19. Z71bill

Z71bill

I have the CDs to do a restore - I am nuking the whole hard drive - hope that is not a BIG mistake. :upeyes:

20. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Seems to me you already 'tested' the CD's out, it just hung on drivers or something odd...

Sounds like you are on the way to having hard drive that is *clean as a whistle*...

HTH