close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Old shotgun help....

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by a_tack, Jan 15, 2010.

1. a_tack

a_tack

One of my managers at work was given some old shotguns some years ago by his grandfather. He asked me to help him find some info on one of them which he was told was the oldest in the collection, so I come to GT in search of some answers.

The gun is a seemingly old Side by Side 12 ga. My friend was told that it was purchased by his great grandfather in Germany after WWI. The only markings I could find on the gun were:

JP Sauer and Sohn, Sohl and the number 55094 which I am assuming is a serial number. My buddy doesn't really believe the gun is as old as he was told, so he asked me to help prove or disprove the story. The reciever of the gun has alot of engraving on it that appears to be factory. Does anyone know much about these guns?

2. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

UIAM, that's "Suhl" not "Sohl."

JP Sauer and Sohn made a lot of guns, including shotguns and drillings, in that time period.

A picture would help.

Does it have exposed hammers or internal strikers?

Do a 'net search on "JP Sauer Sohn Suhl Shotgun" and you will turn up all sorts of auctions with photos. Compare yours to theirs and you will get an idea of price.

GunBroker is a good source of comparables too....

-ET

3. a_tack

a_tack

I dont think it had exposed hammers. I cant seem to find a picture exactly like the one he has, I searched online for two hours before I posted. I will try to get a picture of his. Is JP Sauer and Sohn any relation to Sig Sauer?

4. Onmilo

Onmilo

Kinda-Sorta yes and no.
    J.P. Sauer was the German middleman for Sig made products.

Sauer made shotguns are of generally high quality.
    They normally had Krupp fluid steel barrels.
    You will know if the gun has exposed hammers, you have to put your thumb on the hammers and manually cock the gun just like a cowboy single action revolver before it will fire.

5. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

J.P. Sauer is the maker of the Sig Sauer pistols that are marked made in Germany or W. Germany.