Old-school touches, combined with new-era refinement = winning!

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Airborne Infantryman, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

On the LWRC forum, another member's SPR inspired me. It's old-school touches, with new-era refinement made me think- "why not loose the 2 pound PRS stock, sell the AccuPoint, and create a pseudo-A4 DMR?"

So, off I went- I sold the Trijicon 3-9x AccuPoint, and the Aimpoint T1 w/ Offset Mount, and ordered another ACOG TA31ECOS. I prefer the TA31ECOS because of its external adjusters, the ease of zeroing at 100m, and the BDC being good out to 600m, and the fact that the RMR and fixed BUIS on the optic make it guaranteed you'll have *SOME* way to shoot at something, should your ACOG go down (not that it would; personally seen one get blown up in Afghanistan, and besides a few dings, still be intact, and able to be zeroed).

The TA31ECOS also has that sexy Dark Earth Brown finish that I adore so much. It closely matches the Patriot Brown cerakote of my SPR, which is just icing on the proverbial cake.

I outfitted the rifle with a Vortex Flash Hider, as the A2 just doesn't do it for me, and I kinda like the ringing that the Vortex gives off after you fire a shot. :supergrin:

I then ordered a Palmetto State Armory A2 stock kit. All my searching across the web netted me the PSA A2 Stock Kit. Built to Mil-Specs, made in the USA, and overall, not Chi-Com junk. Overall impressions of the stock are positive. It feels very solid, and after putting some CLP on the stock, it darkened considerably.

Now that my SBR is pretty much done (minus a SureFire SR04 switch and MagPul MS3 Sling), and my M6-SPR is done, I've got nothing I wanna tinker with.....the M6A2 DEA is perfect the way it is.....maybe its time to start toying with my handguns? :supergrin:

NOTE: My very first TA31ECOS-G had a darker finish, and more closely resembled Patriot Brown. The new TA31ECOS-G I just got is an EXACT match to MRE. I swapped the older TA31ECOS-G to my SPR, and it matches the Patriot Brown perfectly. The new TA31ECOS-G is now on my M6A2 DEA, and matches the Multi-Regional Earth anodizing perfectly. I got two LaRue LT-100s enroute now. I opted for the LT-100 for my SPR for two reasons- I wanted to keep the rear BUIS where it was, and I shoot NTCH, and the LOP didn't bother me one bit, so I went with the LT-100 for this particular application.

Sorry for the crappy pics; by the time I got home from chasing my UPS package with my A2 stock in it, it was dark out. Will get better pics tomorrow.

I am VERY pleased with how my SPR turned out. It'll be perfect once I get my LaRue LT-100 ACOG mounts. I MAY take the LaRue/Harris Bipod off in favor for a Grip Pod, but I'm not sure yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

I, for the most part, do not like the A2 stocks. But that is a beautiful rifle.

And i'm literally drooling over that barrel. Who makes that?

3. Airborne Infantryman

Thanks for the kind words, sir.

The whole gun is an LWRC M6-SPR MOD 0, and the barrel is an LWRC NiCorr coated 1/7 twist, with spiral fluting.

LWRC has a spiral-fluted option for some of their guns. The fluting definitely helps with weight. Some like it, some do not. If your interested in the barrel, I'm sure the fine folks at LWRC would probably sell you a barrel. :wavey:

4. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

I LOVE the look, and of course the weight issue helps too :supergrin:

Im about to check out their site now. and again, beautiful gun!

5. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

whaaaa, no tear drop FA?

6. Airborne Infantryman

Corrected for the truth. "psuedo-A4 DMR" is what I mean't. :supergrin:

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

As a shorter-armed guy, i hated A2 stocks in armor. The A1's not too much better. Otherwise, nice piece.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

9. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:cool:, your making many on here envious :supergrin:

:50cal:

10. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

I have to agree with this as well, but damn if you didn't pull it off with style. That looks amazing, congrats!

11. bmoore

bmoore

That rifle looks fantastic, it came out great.

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The M16A2 stock isn't worth a damn unless it's time to whack somebody on the head with it, or use it to break your fall when you dive into the ground as hot lead coming your way.

Of course none of these apply at the shooting range.

13. Ruggles

Ruggles

I like the A2 stocks. The collapsable are fine as well but the A2 just feel "right" to me on a 20" barrel. I have one on a 16" mid length gun right now and that balances well for me too.

14. surf

surf

A few years ago with one of my Noveske builds, I went with a "pseudo DMR" but used an A1, then I turned it more into an SPR. I am now looking at options to lighten it up also starting with a minimalist type of tube instead of the Troy Quad and probably exchanging out the Magpul UBR and Harris Bipod for lighter options.

15. Sechott

Sechott

That is a good looking rifle, I think the A2 stock would blend better if it were brown.

16. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

AI. Nice combo of new items and a retro look as well.