Ruger Old School Cool!! Ruger P89 rocking the range!!

Discussion in 'Ruger Club' started by NitLion, Apr 28, 2015.

1. NitLion

NitLion

Slim , trim, small and light pistols may be chic these days with the explosion of CCW licenses, but when the globe gets "end-of-the-world zombie apocalypse" ugly - and you may have to shoot until the magazine runs dry and then bludgeon undead shamblers with your sidearm, I want this:

P89_20_rnd_mag.jpg

Above is my 1993 (first year production) P89! (note lanyard). I bought this used off a gun auction site for $222.22. They are just not "in fashion" enough to demand much I guess. But if you are a buyer - Wow! What great value!

The three loads I shot today were:
    Tulammo - 115g - FMJ
    Geco - 124g - FMJ

& RWS - 124g - FMJ

Here is 8" round steel at 17 yards:

P89_rockin_8_incher.jpg

(see knockdown target in distance)
    That was steel to the right of me...here was steel to the left of me (17 yards):

april_15_p89_17_yards.jpg

I was using Mec-gar 17 round and extended 20 round mags. Function was flawless with pistol, all ammo and magazines. Here are some gong-shots at 24 yards:

P89_multiple_gong_shots.jpg

Stepping out, I had bowling pins, at about 45 yards, as well as this homemade knockdown tombstone target. I made it a little too touchy and the wind beat me to knocking it over most times. The circled hole is from another pistol but apparently I shoot them about the same way:

45_knock_down_p89.jpg

On the far bank is a steel ram at about 105 yards (you can just see it in above picture). I got on a little roll with the Geco ammo and hit it four times in a row! That ties my record with one of my 357Sigs annnnnd..... my P94 -another P-Series Ruger!....whoda thunk it!!

I had lottsa fun...love me some P89!!!
    Total rounds through this gun(since new to me anyway) =250 representing 5 different loads!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    mrmike7189, weapontrainer and mc1911 like this.
  2. riata2

riata2

Here is mine...

Attached Files:

mrmike7189 likes this.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks for the report.

I like those old Rugers.

4. mc1911

mc1911

I still love the P-series. The aluminum framed ones are my favorites.

mrmike7189 likes this.
  5. ksblazer

ksblazer

I remember about 15yrs ago seeing these in the used section of the gun shops all the time and never thought much of them.

Last year a friend let me fire his P89 (first time with a ruger P series) and his was a shooter as well. Probably the most accurate double action semi autos I've ever shot. I wish I could go back 15yrs and pick one up. If I come across one for a reasonable price. I'll be bringing it home.

6. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

They may be clunky and rattle but the one thing you can not say about the old Rugers is they are unreliable or inaccurate.

I had one of the old P85 guns way back and ended up trading it off on something else. It was a shooter...

My best friend keeps a P90 as his home defense gun. He goes shooting with me a bunch and over a dozen years of so I've never seen that gun malfunction,

mrmike7189 likes this.
  7. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

I had an early P89 DC. That gun is what has convinced me that I will not sell another gun again. Regrets for selling that. The single action trigger was great, and it ran reliably.

Nice range report, by the way!

mrmike7189 and NitLion like this.
  8. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Glad you like it. Nothing wrong with it.

But even back in the day, it was never "cool".
    Revolver = old school cool.
    1911 = old school cool.
    Even the Beretta 92 = old school cool.

9. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

Still have my P89 DC I bought new years ago and took my first shooting classes with it. It sits in the bed side table waiting for a call.

NitLion likes this.
  10. janice6

janice6

Ruger was quite popular in police departments in the past (the P series in .45 caliber I believe). They are very durable and mainly built for reliability.

I had a P85 long ago. I bought it used at a very good price. I never had an issue of any kind with functionality. It had been through 2 or 3 owners by the time it got to me with no company documentation.

It was an easy shooter and as mentioned above and fairly large. I soon found it had a peculiar problem with grouping. It wouldn't.

I tried shooting at distance, and slowly closer and closer. Surprisingly, I couldn't tighten up the group even at close distances.

I handed it off to a few people and they found the same thing. I could shoot my Kimber at each distance, and it was obvious something was wrong with the P85.

I finally got tired of analyzing it and sent it to Ruger with a note, that I wanted it to be capable of performing with the advertised accuracy they stated in their original claims for the pistol. If this was how it was performing I would be satisfied.

the pistol was returned to me by the factory, with a Yellow shop ticket that said a new barrel was "fitted and tested" and now met the functionality it was capable of. It further noted that there was no charge for this service.

That damned thing was a tack driver! I could alternate between the Ruger and the Kimber and would be hard pressed to tell which I used when looking only at the target. It was a superb shooter.

The point of my post is: Ruger backed up their product without any comment, even though it had passed through a few owners hands, had some age on it, and I was not the original purchaser. They didn't say a word about me, the operator, but simply tested and repaired the pistol so it was a testament to the performance claims they made for it.

I can't praise them enough for the attention and dedication to their product even after it had some time on it, and multiple owners. They showed me that they represented a company with integrity and dedication to their product. I couldn't be more pleased with their support of their products.

NitLion and sticks like this.
  11. NitLion

NitLion

Janice6,

I had heard the early P85 were hurriedly put together for military trials and had outsourced barrels.....here is interesting discussions on the P series:

The whole thread I quoted from is here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread...-Ruger-P89&s=c2a1ad8dafc7a89530c6aef5860479d7

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  12. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I do love how Ruger's customer support works.

janice6 likes this.
  13. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

They service everything pretty much and wont charge you either.

14. weapontrainer

weapontrainer

I own a KP89DAO that I bought for a little over $200.00, with Trijicon night sights.
    It is one of the most accurate 9mm's I own.
    I have a target, fired off hand from 7 yards, that put 16 Speer Gold Dot 115gr.+P+ rounds in to a hole the size of a 1/2 dollar. I fired it as quickly as I could get the sights to settle, but not quite mag dump speed.
    The sights need to be re-lamped, but like yours it is a definite keeper!
    I dare say it groups better then my Sig P226 Navy.

15. NitLion

NitLion

Finally got the pictures re-uploaded for this! I need to get more organized! It was a struggle!