Old school barber shops dying off

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by callihan_44, Aug 22, 2019.

1. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

That's the way GT keeps hold on me! There is some funny, funny stuff here. And some times it might not really be funny to others or wouldn't be to you, at another time, but it's just the moment and the comment that strikes the funny bone.
    The "Stryker" thread, from a few years back, had me laughing so hard, I must have been making strange noises, because three different coworkers came over to check on me, while reading it and posting in it.

Anyways, here's a pic. This is actually the first day it has looked not so bad, but I used a lot of conditioner last night, and wet it, this morning before leaving for work. The dents are not as prevalent, but notice the tufts on both sides, just above my temples. There is more hair there than just above it. It's almost like he did it on purpose, but surely not. It has been more pointy on top. [​IMG]

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  2. illrooster132

illrooster132

not many real men left, hence the popularity of the metro-sexual shops. cant stand it!!!!
    nothing better than a place where you can fell at easy with familiar conversations and smelly men.

3. IvanVic

IvanVic

Started cutting my own hair about 20 years ago and saved thousands of dollars since. My hair is short and straight so it's not difficult. I like to keep my sides very short (military short) and the top is only about 1-2 inches long - so not hard to do at home. I fade the back with a handheld mirror.

Getting a professional cut is relaxing, but I only go once or twice a year. There are lots of manly barber shops left in areas where I've lived, but certainly not as many as their used to be.

4. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

Old school barber shops became popular again here about 15 years ago and are always busy on weekends. In fact, some don't take walk-ins. I gladly pay the $22 plus a $5 tip as I remember the old days when your choices were: Drive across town and wait an hour at one of the few real barber shops at the time, or go to a beauty shop or even worse a place like Supercuts.

5. Caver 60

Caver 60

I went to the barber shop I mentioned in my post 14 this morning for my monthly haircut. In addition to the sign saying 'Guns Welcome On Premises', they now have another sign.

It features a big red backed warning sign that is about 15 inches across. Under the red warning sign, the text in big black capital letters reads:

DUE TO THE PRICE INCREASE OF AMMO;
    DO NOT EXPECT A WARNING SHOT.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  6. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I like them just fine but I've been cutting my own hair since Basic training thirty years ago.

7. huck70

huck70

Same around here, a younger guy bought out his older uncle, and runs the place now. In the past 7 years I have seen 4 other shops close up. I did try sport clips and was pleased with the job the 20 year old young lady did.

8. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

Amen to that. An attractive Vietnamese woman cuts my hair, about once every 3 months. We have some great conversations. I find I need to mention my wife and daughter every so often. Putting it another way; if I was single...

9. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I pretty much cut my own hair but let my hair and beard grow out in anticipation of my son's wedding. On the morning of the wedding I took him and his brother/best man to an old school barber and treated them (and myself) to the works. It was kinda fun.

10. Bow Commander

Bow Commander

I cut my own hair, but I would love to take my son to a proper barbershop. There is a few in town, but they make it damn near impossible to give them my money. You have to schedule weeks in advance, and they only ever have available appointments at noon, 2pm, and 4pm on weekdays. Ummm I work 8-5 M-F like half of the free world. So, to a strip mall salon we go, spur of the moment, at 7pm.

11. indie_rocker

indie_rocker

Just went to the barber today. I drive about 35 minutes to get there. Plenty of other shops around but I have my guy. $20, including tip. Three bald guys run/own the shop and I get the best cuts I've had in years.

12. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

Ever week a barber shop opens in the Phoenix area it seems.