Old school barber shops dying off

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by callihan_44, Aug 22, 2019.

1. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Which years, would you say, span the late early 80's?

KingWalleye likes this.
  2. bdcochran

bdcochran

Who takes the kids to the barber? My father never did. The mother takes the kid if she doesn't cut the boy's hair. My mother cut mine for quite a number of years - and poorly at that.

Now, the wife has the choice of a bright place or a dull, smelly man cave.

3. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I went to the "Trophy" Barber Shop about 10 miles from here. The place is FILLED with big game trophies! Check out their web site! One of their guys left and opened his own shop about 1/4 mile from my house so that's where I go, now. They have 3 barbers and it's all pretty laid back.
    [​IMG]

You're kidding about those prices, right? $45?
    A cut is $15 and a shave is $15, here!

Flash

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    callihan_44 and nursetim like this.
  4. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

The last time I went to a barber they had portraits of J Edgar Hoover and JFK on the wall.

bdcochran likes this.
  5. WT

WT Millennium Member

Sure. He missed his true calling by going on TV.

6. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

In my youth I went to an old timey barbershop (aluminum lawn chairs) run by guys who were volunteer firemen. This worked, until the alarm went off .. then the shop emptied out leaving you halfway through your haircut, and no barbers :rofl: (Well they left one old guy to finish everyone off .. but this was slooow if the shop was full ... )

I moved, found another old timey shop (aluminum lawn chairs) run by two brothers .. who had a sideline: Honeybucket truck. :upeyes: ... It got so only one brother was there at a time (other out with the honeybucket truck ..) It got so they were making so much money with the honeybucket truck .. they quit barbering and both honeybucketted full time :upeyes: I walked in the shop one day and it was transformed into a woman's hair dressery place complete with a fat creepy guy who wanted to cut my hair :alex: Walked out ... Found another old timey shop, but had to drive to the next town over ... :frown:

Moved to Texas, found another old timey shop (aluminum lawn chairs ... Gun magazines :supergrin: )
    Father & son .. over 30 years (I think same gun magazines ... :supergrin: ) Father eventually retired ... Son making noises about retiring .. :shocked:
    I may soon be on the hunt again :frown:

pizza_pablo likes this.
  7. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

We have a salon that does traditional hair cuts if you ask for it. Hot shaving cream and everything. Not no $10, though.

8. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I need far more tending than that... i have long hair.

bdcochran likes this.
  9. 9jeeps

9jeeps Avatars, no mas

Last 20 years i've had two lady barbers. Both cut my hair the way they wanted ir or my wife wanted it.

two sundays ago I took my beard trimmer and made a cue ball of me...... very refreshing, indeed!

there will be no more barbers in my life.

10. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

I live in a very rural county in N.C. The old school barbershop is still alive and well here. It’s as much of a part of our culture as Church, NASCAR, deer hunting, family, and patriotism. My barber is 85 and still works three days a week. I never have to tell him what to do. He knows. I ain’t got enough hair to fret over anyway.
    In my younger days I did let a female stylist get her hands on my hair but after I got married I never let a woman cut me again. I guess I’m just a pervert cause if a good looking woman started running her hands all in my hair .... well never mind.
    Barbershops are like Baptist Churches here. There’s one on every corner.

pizza_pablo and callihan_44 like this.
  11. G17Jake

G17Jake

I go to Cost Cutters, but the woman who cuts my hair is in her 50s. Most of the women working there are very young and what I suppose you could call trendy looking.

12. Patchman

Patchman Florist

For almost 2 decades, I went to a 1 chair barber shop owned by Vincent, an old school Sicilian who talked about his early days in the Italian Navy and on cruise ships. His vacation consisted of going to Vegas once a year, to relive the days of Frank Sinatra and the Rat pack.

In 2012 he had a heart attack but never followed his MD's orders, claiming his MDs didn't know what they were talking about because it wasn't a heart attack. I think he went through 2 or 3 MDs before his sudden death in 2014.

He was a great barber. Always only just needed to ask "the usual?" He conversed when I felt like it and kept quiet when i didn't feel like it.

He was a great barber. RIP Vincent.

pizza_pablo and callihan_44 like this.
  13. nursetim

nursetim

Just got my hair cut today at the barber college today. You’ll remember that I liked the place because the students were careful. Well the hair cut is exactly like I wanted it, but it was TWO HOURS in the freaking chair! :alex: still it is a great hair cut and I am very happy with it, but still, 2 FREAKING HOURS! I ain’t mad, and I’ll ask for him next time, I just hope he speeds up.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  14. BradD

BradD

I'd interpret that as 1983 and 1984. Kinda like north northwest. lol

KingWalleye and pizza_pablo like this.
  15. GeoJelly

GeoJelly

Even in high cost northern Virginia we have a nice small shop about a mile away. Three ladies work there - two are very easy on the eyes :). $17 for a professional cut. They stay busy and it’s a nice little shop.

16. poles19

poles19

I cut my own hair but always went to a traditional style barbershop when i had hair. Now i take my 2 year old to that same shop.

17. Jonesee

Jonesee

callihan_44 likes this.
  18. doktarZues

doktarZues

for a reason I don’t fully understand I found this post to be gut busting hilarious. Any chance you could share pics??

pizza_pablo likes this.
  19. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

When I still had hair, I cut my own hair a lot but would occasionaly treat myself to a wisit to the barber. I grew up going to the barber shop with my Grandfather every few weeks or so. It was an event, something I looked forward to and the smell of bay rum is forever in my nose.
    As an adult, for me, it was more than just a haircut. I'd chat with the other patrons and had a good relationship with the barber.
    The last time I went to the barber was nearly ten years ago. That barber's name is/was Bob. It's closed now, he had some health issues. Sadly, I lost touch with him and don't know his status. Maybe I'll try and get back in touch with him.

20. amd65

amd65

I was going to an old school barber, but his health declined. He charged $12, and did a very good job.
    I went to the other shop in town a couple times. At this place, there was a different barber every time, and prices varied. Last time, it was a black guy who charged me $20 for a simple haircut.
    I decided to give Sportclips a try.
    For $25, I get my hair washed, cut, and a head massage, all performed by a very nice, and cute young lady named Rebecca. She is a very hard working young lady who takes her job seriously, and excels at customer service.
    Now that I think about it, I’m just about due.