Old school barber shops dying off

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by callihan_44, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

I use an old fashioned barber shop also, run by a retired Navy E-8 who cut hair in the service. Lot of Army/Navy/Air Force/Marine Corps posters around with pictures of the ships on which he served. American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo magazines for your reading pleasure. He even CCWs under his white barber's jacket. I showed him my Glock, and he showed me his. (They looked a lot alike...LOL.)

Refuse to go to a "salon" or have sissy Mr. Bruce run his fingers through what hair I have left.

nursetim, tuica, Ramjet38 and 2 others like this.
  2. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Plenty of shops up here in New England...Of course I don't think any of them are open more than 3 or 4 days a week...then it's half days...

A few years ago I was getting a cut from a lady barber, happened to look at her arms. They were covered in in self harm scars...nothing fresh, thank God....but still....you could see she had been through something at some point in her life....Anyway, I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best when she picked up the razor.

pizza_pablo and tuica like this.

3. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

You get your haircut from Chris Cuomo?

pizza_pablo, nursetim and tuica like this.
  4. Caver 60

Caver 60

They just raised their price from 10 to 11 bucks a cut. But still well worth it.

nursetim, deputy tom and G26-Has-my-6 like this.
  5. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

Years ago my grandfather had to change barbers after this unfortunate incident.
    albert-anastasia-former-lord-everett.jpg

norton, tuica and deputy tom like this.
  6. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

My shop just raised the price from $12.00 to $13.00. I told the owner why bother, you should have raised it to $15.00 and be done with it. tom. :dunno:

7. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

We had quite a resurgence of them here a few years ago. Many have closed but a few of the new ones are doing well.

The shops with girls in bikinis have all gone.

nursetim likes this.
  8. 63Bravo

63Bravo

My barber died in July.
    Sigh
    Hope to find a replacement...
    Stopped in one shop and a woman was doing the cutting..
    Sigh
    What are your hrs, ? I asked.
    9-5 she replied. Mon -Fri ? I asked, yupp she replied.
    The hunt for a new barber goes on..

nursetim likes this.
  9. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

That's why you should have your gun on your lap under the cloth like the gunslingers used to. tom. :cowboy:

10. bdcochran

bdcochran

I go to a Vietnamese family run organization.

There are reasons why the old shops have disappeared. The reasons are explainable in a $50,000 study commissioned by McDonald's before that franchise operation took off. So, let's go back in time before 7-11, franchised real estate offices, Burger King, etc. You are going back at least 60 years.

McDonald's wanted to know who would choose a restaurant and why. They paid $50,000. The answer were: the mother chose the restaurant, the restaurant was chosen on the basis of cleanliness, and consistency of the food.

Go to a franchise barber shop. The cuts are consistent. The floors are constantly swept. The places are well lit. The magazines aren't piled up. The walls don't need painting. The furniture isn't falling apart. They have always taken credit cards.

I will go to my place in a few minutes. The place could use a thorough cleaning and a new paint job. I will pay cash. Speak to the older people in French. Just like my late father in law spoke in Italian to the barbers back east.

sombunya and tuica like this.
  11. Bradley T

Bradley T

Sometimes those beauty shops are the way to go. Shapely girl carefully clipping away while rubbing up against your arms and shoulders the whole time. I may be nuts, but I'll take that over buzz clippers, fishin' lures and deer heads any day of the week!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  12. PBCounty

PBCounty

Our large Cuban population keeps the "traditional" barber shop thing going. It's pretty big with them. Lots of young guys in the business too. That said, salon is where it's at. Not only do you meet plenty of women in there (employees, other clients), but a good hair girl will go out of her way to set you up with some of her clients. Also if you go around closing time it's pretty easy to get one of the girls to meet you for a drink down the road.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  13. flyover

flyover

As long as she is not married or involved with somebody.

14. oldmick

oldmick

We still have an old time barbershop a few miles from here. Great place! Still uses hot towels and shaves the back of your neck with a straight razor. Went in there one time and the barber asked me to take off my winter sweatshirt if it was more comfortable. I explained that I had a carry pistol on my hip. He said, "don't worry about it, nobody will complain."

Sadly, I started shaving my head a few years ago, so no need for a barber any more.

15. Dave514

Dave514

My 3 chair walk-in shop, with it's 50's old car vibe, just went to $12 a cut(still razors the sideburns and neck). I always give $15 but I'm afraid even at that price the old shops will be dying off. Part of the problem is that the newer barber shops do charge more but they're not old dudes with grown kids and paid off houses. Their young guys starting a family and they can't make it on $12/cut. Plus the young barbers stay up on the more modern cuts that kids want with different fades, hard parts, whackadoo bangs, etc.. and are dealing with a clientele that wants an appointment time.

nursetim likes this.
  16. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Mine is 78 years old and don't know how much longer he will be cutting my hair. Don't know what I'll do after that.

callihan_44 and Caver 60 like this.
  17. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

No spittoon? That would make it complete. Ya don't see that much anymore, even if only for decoration.

18. tuica

tuica

Yep. Nice to find them. I don’t have much hair on top. And not a celebrity outside of my family. How much hair saloning do I need? Guy I went to for years recently retired. $7 a cut. In the chair for 7 minutes. Great basic haircut. Looking for a new place.

pizza_pablo likes this.
  19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

They are all gone in my area. Going to grandmas ment a visit to Red's barber shop many times. He's been gone 40+ yrs. small town barber shops are now the Police station, and a substance abuse meeting place.
    Solon I went to I mentioned headed to CO. " Could you bring back some weed?" And she did have white scar marks on her wrists.....
    I have had gal in Solon really brush against me. In my 30's I might be vein enough to think she had the hits for me. Now I know she either dosent care, wants to get better angle to cut, or hoping for a bigger tip. ;(

tuica and pizza_pablo like this.
  20. norton

norton

For the past decade or so a 2 chair barber shop in the town where I live is my go to place. My barber is younger then me, and he just brought in a barber younger then he is.
    For a few years I visited a local beauty salon, and one of the ladies I knew from church cut my hair. She did a good job, but sadly passed away from cancer.