Old school barber shops dying off

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by callihan_44, Aug 22, 2019.

1. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

How many still go to traditional barbers? That's all ive ever gone to, tried a "hair salon" once and didn't like it. One of the last few shops around here finally threw in the retirement towel, old air force guy who cut hair in the service as well was a well oiled machine when it come to hair cutting, even at 80+ years old. Not many of them left now days.

2. shootfire

shootfire

Same here in Midland Tx. Last time I got a cut my barber was talking retirement.

callihan_44 likes this.

3. blackjack

blackjack

Probably the main reason I just shave my head now. Most obvious reason - lack of hair and that is quickly augmented with it makes no sense to go to one of the more expensive hair-cutting options for the small amount I have. End result is taking care of it myself with a razor every other day.

4. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

My shop is still going strong with a younger barber taking it over. The original two barbers work part time and two other barbers the same. A new barber shop opened last spring across the street from this one but hasn't taken away any customers. tom. :cowboy:

5. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I recently started going to one. I like it.

MSP Sarge and callihan_44 like this.
  6. WT

WT Millennium Member

I go to a 3 chair, old school shop. It is run by Fredo, a paisan from the old country. Probably in his 60's. #2 clippers with a straight razor around the ears and neck. The guy is always busy.

7. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

You're right!
    I try to go to old school barber shops but there are few that actually are and the barbers are old, with no one to pass the torch down to.
    I can go to the Navy Exchange, which is more production line than old school, but still old school style, for lack of a better term, but it's difficult to get the same barber every time and their staff is seriously hit or miss.
    I'm not terribly picky, as long as it's even, but that's not always the result.
    I'm currently suffering from a bad haircut, possibly the worst, if not, at least in the bottom 3, including "boat cuts" done by fellow sailors. I have dents is my hair, on both sides of center, between the top and sides of head. It's gonna take about 6, weeks total, 4 to go, before I can get another cut to 'fix' this one.
    I have no use for super cuts or any of those similar.
    I'm only 56, with a full head of hair and the best I can recall, my mom's dad had a full head of hair, when he passed, if that's even the true lineage. What are we going to do, in the future, when there are no more barber shops?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

Still go to a traditional barber. He has a warning sign on the front door that you are likely to hear talk about God, guns, hunting, fishing, and conservative politics and if this offends you, please do not enter. He has a couple of mounted deer heads, a bear skin rug, couple of mounted foxes, and a few mounted fish. Magazines are American Rifleman, Guns and Ammo, White Tail, Deer, Horse and Rider. Still gives great haircuts and uses a straight razor on the neck and around the ears. Luckily, he is younger than me by a bit and intends to keep cutting hair for a long time. Cost is now up to $12.

9. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

10. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Same atmosphere at one shop I go to.
    Some lady even cried about the atmosphere in a Yelp review.

11. WT

WT Millennium Member

The difference between a 'bad' haircut and a 'good' haircut is ……….

3 weeks.

tuica likes this.
  12. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I use one of these every week with a #2 (1/4") guide comb.

I'm saving thousands on hair conditioner!

wahl_cordless_designer_195x195@2x.jpg

13. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Every week?!
    Wow, that's diligence!

14. Caver 60

Caver 60

Still have two in our small town. The one I use has a sign on the front door that says guns are welcome, please use them if it ever becomes necessary.

There is an electric revolving barber pole and a big checkerboard with two chairs out front. Three chairs and two barbers. One looks to be in mid forties, the other in mid fifties. Bullet display board and stuffed heads on the walls. Fishing lure display board and mounted fish, etc.

15. flyover

flyover

My barber recently retired due to health reasons. He was one of the last in my area. He was down with a health problem several years ago both Dad and I went to a local gal that had a salon. She was a lot of fun but had to retire because she got arthritis in her hands.

I will end up going to another gal that has a salon in another town near me. I only get my hair cut maybe every 3 or 4 months so it is no big deal.

larry_minn and callihan_44 like this.
  16. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I'd give up my clipper and support these guys if I lived there

17. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

mine charged $10 a cut, hand shakes a bit with a straight razor but once it was on your neck was smooth as silk

18. jmohme

jmohme

The last old school barber I went to was in my home town years ago.
    The guy was older than dirt and had been in the same shop for as long as I can remember.

I quit going to him when I went in for a haircut and saw him getting ready to give a customer a shave with a straight razor, hands shaking so badly that I just knew there was going to be blood on the floor. I couldn't watch so I turned and walked away.

19. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    I like strip mall Italian both for dinner and a haircut (not at the same place). My barber is Tony.

That's him in the back.

upload_2019-8-22_8-13-14.png

If I had more money (and hair) I might go here. The bottom photo is kind of funny. Nothing like paying top dollar to be pampered with your buzz cut.

Hey @Detectivetom, isn't this our friend Tony's old gunsmith shop?

upload_2019-8-22_8-22-8.png

upload_2019-8-22_8-16-4.png

upload_2019-8-22_8-14-10.png

[​IMG]

upload_2019-8-22_8-17-48.png

20. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Yep, that's Tony's old gunsmith shop. He would **** if he saw what they did to his man cave. tom. :alex:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019