Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Huge Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up this Ruger Security Six today in a trade. Always liked them better than the SP and GP pistols Ruger has out now. It was made in 1982 and at some point in it's life a previous owner polished it all up.

Just thought I would share. :D

·
Huge Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A security six wasn't my first service pistol but it was the first 357 mag pistol I bought when I got a job on a small rural police dept in 1976. It was a stainless 4" as well. Paid $120 for it and had to borrow $100 from my brother. I eventually sold it to my regret. I've been looking for another SS 4" for years but couldn't pass this one up.

·
10MM WOOOOOOT
5,832 Posts
Very cool. I have long had an appreciation for snubbie 357s. Both the River and Smith have that do anything functionality and good looks.Enjoy!

·
Señor Member
282 Posts
I guess it’s the barrel that makes it a snubby, but that’s a chunky gun.

The first two firearms I ever owned were a Ruger 10/22 and a 4” stainless Security Six. Hands down my favorite revolver I’ve ever even handled or shot, much less owned. I made a gift of it to my brother who very much appreciated it.

Reactions: alwaysshootin

·
Señor Member
282 Posts
...and that is nice shiny stainless Ruger you got there...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing!

I think the profile of the Security Six is more graceful than the GP. I do have a fondness for the SP though.

·
Huge Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing is that during the virus I started reloading again. Been loading 44 mags and 357 mags to test in my Ruger Redhawk, Dan Wesson 357 revolvers and a couple rifles in those calibers. Been chronographing loads. Been missing a Security Six and ran across one in a local gun forum. Swapped a gun I got in trade years ago. I rarely shoot and had little interest in it. Win, win.

Reactions: Ross-in-Pa

·
18,929 Posts
I like the Security six better than the GP100 or the SP101. both those guns are oversized for their capacity (the 7 shot GP makes more sense and the SP is too big for a 5 shot) but the security six was just right and it was still a stronger gun than the K-frame smith.

The 2 3/4" fixed sight Speed-six was the best 357 snubby made, but I also like the Kahr K-6. It's about the size of an SP-101 but holds six shots. It's also a better defensive gun than an Airweight S&W J-frame for more controllable repeat shots due to the added weight.

·
Huge Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...and that is nice shiny stainless Ruger you got there...
A bit too shiny for my taste but whataya gonna do? Bring the bling!

·
Huge Member
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the Security six better than the GP100 or teh SP101. both Those guns are oversized for their capacity (the 7 shot GP makes more sense and the SP is too big for a 5 shot) but the security six was just right and it was still a stronger gun than the K-frame smith.

The 2 3/4" fixed sight Speed-six was the best 357 snubby made, but I also like the Kahr K-6. It's about the size of an SP-101 but holds six shots. It's also a better defensive gun than an Airweight S&W J-frame for more controllable repeat shots due to the added weight.
I agree with you about the Speed Six. I had a blue 4" Service Six I gave to my son. The Security Six has a better looking profile however with the adjustable sights. I would have taken a Speed Six but had to settle for the Security Six.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Just picked up this Ruger Security Six today in a trade. Always liked them better than the SP and GP pistols Ruger has out now. It was made in 1982 and at some point in it's life a previous owner polished it all up.

Just thought I would share. :D
I had a security 6 and a speed 6 many moons ago. Wish I still had them.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Ruger perfected the 357 revolver with the Security Six, which is identical to the Redhawk in design, my personal favorite revolver. Yours looks great, brings back memories, my first revolver was that same model, actually traded it away for my first Redhawk. Enjoy!

·
bene vivere
2,126 Posts
mac66,
What a classic beauty! Here is a photo of mine.
1AD18DB1-D251-486A-A437-C35A6756C3B3.jpeg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts