Glock Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· live free or die
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, about 2 months ago I got re-interested in a few of my grandpa’s old hand-me-down 22’s in my gun safe…

1st one is an old Winchester model 1906… it’s was in pretty ruff shape so I stripped it all down to its single components & cleaned probably 80 years worth of crud out of her… it was also missing it’s sights so I went ahead & retrofitted some irons I had lying around, hence the reason for the front fiber optic! (Not really fitting on this gun but it’ll due till I can find some original-type remakes.) The inside of the barrel is pretty bad, but yet it still seems to shoot pretty well… some time or another I’d like to have it re-lined.

Courtesy pic:

Next up is an old Savage Arms Springfield Model 84-C… as a boy I refinished it’s stock so that was already good to go… It’s original magazine wouldn’t feed very well so I picked up the cheapest 22-lr mag I could find & installed it’s spring in it… works GREAT now! While I was looking at magazines I noticed these 10-round (original mag only holds 5-rounds) Savage mags at the store that looked like they could be made to work in the 84-C so I picked them up… a little grinding/filing later & they work GREAT! Next up I added a few sling swivel studs… the trigger on this gun had a lot of side to side movement which was annoying to an otherwise nice trigger… I ended up wrapping the trigger itself with tape to tighten it’s fit up it the stocks trigger opening which works GREAT for a fast/easy fix! This gun REALLY likes Remington’s ‘target’ loads… so much so that I’m gonna have this 84-C drilled & tapped for a scope here soon!

Courtesy pic:

Last one is an old Savage Arms Springfield Model 120… as a boy I also refinished it’s stock so that was already good to go as well… this one had a broken front sight… while looking it over to see about making a new front sight I noticed that it had a scope rail! I ended up getting a GREAT deal on a Nikon 4x ’rimfire’ scope so I grabbed it & mounted her up! (Nice optic!) The trigger on this gun also had a lot of side to side movement which was annoying to an otherwise pretty nice trigger… I ended up wrapping the trigger itself with tape to tighten it’s fit up it the stocks trigger opening which works GREAT on this rifle as well! Now seeing how this 120 is a single shot with no magazine I started thinking about how a could make sure I always had extra ammo close by for quick reloads…thought about modifying the sling to hold ammo, or trying to find a 22-lr butt-stock ammo pouch… also though about just have a belt pouch with extra ammo… what I finally came up with was to drill ten (10) slightly larger than 22-lr sized holes along the top of the butt-stock… I use a strip of good (VERY sticky) black tape to keep the rounds secure but not so secure that they can’t be easily retrieved! This gun REALLY likes CCI’s ‘green tag’ loads!

Courtesy pic:

Close-up of the butt-stock shell holder:

So what ‘old school’ 22’s do you guys have?

· Handgunner
2,397 Posts
I like the ammo in the stock! That's nifty.

· live free or die
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the ammo in the stock! That's nifty.
Thanks... seeing how the gun (none of them are) wasn't worth much, except to me, I figured why the heck not as I knew it would be easy enough to do.

I could have done a better job at getting everything centered & spaced out equally but I was lazy... I also have room to add 5 (making 15 total) more spots & do believe I’ll do that soon as you can’t ever have enough ammo on hand, right? :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.