Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
23,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the snow today, going outside reminded me how much I hate slush going down the back of my neck. Had an "Ahhh-Haaa" moment and remembered I had two brimmed hats that I had forgotten about. Also realizing I should keep the sun off the tops of my ears(if it ever comes back out), which I can't do with my normal baseball cap style.

I kind of gave up on them several years ago when my older sister cried seeing me in one and said how much it reminded her of Dad.

Anyway, found the hats, a wool Dorfman Pacific and a canvas Stetson. Both a little squashed. May try steaming them to try to get the dents out, and maybe stretch them just a little bit.
Anybody ever have luck doing that??

·
****** Viejo
29,578 Posts
Yes, steam works well. My great grandfather was a hat maker. That's what they used. tom. :cowboy:

ETA I wear a bush hat for snow removal and in summer's sun. Skin cancer runs in my family.

·
Mentally Frozen
28,590 Posts
HATS?

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
SNOW? What? Quit rubbing it in - it's ~100 here and it's not even June.
How are the real estate prices in Maine? :cheers:

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Hats? It took me over five decades to even want one. Sizing? Dear God, I need at least a 7 7/8. An 8 would be better. Very few Manufacturers make them.

"Propper Boonie" hats have fixed me up for now. I can't/won't do a "baseball" hat. The ears need protecting. The price is still right on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
Hats? It took me over five decades to even want one. Sizing? Dear God, I need at least a 7 7/8. An 8 would be better. Very few Manufacturers make them.

"Propper Boonie" hats have fixed me up for now. I can't/won't do a "baseball" hat. The ears need protecting. The price is still right on Amazon.
I hear ya...one size does NOT 'fit all'....my hat is a size 8...had to contact Tilley on the side, but they make them.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Stetson Bozeman for those cold mornings!

Steam is the way to go. If you've got a Boot Barn or some other Western store where you are they can probably help you out!

Reactions: deputy tom

·
Wolverine
9,993 Posts
A few of my favorites:

2B4EE708-805B-4DAB-A4E3-9B67174D2D93.jpeg
276E88CB-1EE2-43F2-8DB0-0EA504A8FCDF.jpeg
B1A8B230-15DE-4FC6-A6CF-6C07EED5950A.jpeg
B5A74AF9-7505-4993-8418-C6D696213A88.jpeg
57F299E7-20A6-4165-9EC2-7E88E59E290E.jpeg
CA1B3E1C-1441-4D86-8FA5-7AC7CF5EDC75.jpeg
5589873D-C92A-4CC2-84ED-AE03FC259B2F.jpeg

Don’t be afraid of using water. You need to be a little more cautious using steam with wool felt hats as they will shrink. A hat expander is a good investment to turn a vintage hat into a wearable one. Hat Stretcher - Heavy Duty - One Size Fits All - 6 3/4 to 8 1/2 - Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H92F7ZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Ut4TEbMGC5S7F

·
NRA Life Member
66,567 Posts
Anyway, found the hats, a wool Dorfman Pacific and a canvas Stetson. Both a little squashed. May try steaming them to try to get the dents out, and maybe stretch them just a little bit.
You can reshape and get the dents out of a wool felt hat by soaking it with water and hand molding it, same as shaping a leather holster. Should work on canvas just as well. I have reshaped a few cowboy hats to completely different crown styles (which is how they get their shape to begin with).

They can also be stretched, but a real hat stretcher costs more than it's worth. The easy way is to find something round that the hat will barely stretch over, like the bottom of a saucepan or pot from the kitchen, and while it's wet from reshaping pull the hat down on it to dry. In the old days in the Army, back when we ironed our uniforms, we used to stretch our patrol caps on the end of our foam bedroll to get the wrinkles out after washing.

Reactions: FullClip

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,828 Posts
Both a little squashed. May try steaming them to try to get the dents out
I have a crushable straw beach hat I bought in Bonaire that I wear a lot. I can throw it in the suitcase and bring it with me when I travel.
It looks exactly like this:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
A few of my favorites:

View attachment 754636 View attachment 754638 View attachment 754640 View attachment 754642 View attachment 754644 View attachment 754646 View attachment 754648

Don’t be afraid of using water. You need to be a little more cautious using steam with wool felt hats as they will shrink. A hat expander is a good investment to turn a vintage hat into a wearable one. Hat Stretcher - Heavy Duty - One Size Fits All - 6 3/4 to 8 1/2 - Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H92F7ZU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Ut4TEbMGC5S7F
Nice hats. I like the third from the bottom.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
514F8893-A7BD-4195-8C88-7DF5760C8EEE.jpeg

40 year old Austin Reed I used to wear when I drove our snowplow. Now I wear it when I run the snowblower. Warm and keeps the snow from falling down my face. Also flat as a pancake.

·
Wolverine
9,993 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts