Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
NRA Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out shooting my new G-19 today at my local range, and one of the other members asked to see my gun. I showed him my G-19, he was shooting an old S&W model 59 in 9mm, he told me that this Glock would not last as long as his S&W, he stated, you know how plastic gets brittle with age, like interiors of cars, that this gun would eventually break, crack like old plastic does. I have read the durability tests done on Glocks, and know there are thousands out there that are pretty old and still shoot and function ok. What are you guys opinion on this?

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,641 Posts
He is crazy:upeyes:

·
Banned
775 Posts
He might be right. Everything so far is just speculation and educated guesses by experts.

If you remember there were educated guesses that the Titanic was unsinkable. Those were made by experts.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Glocks are made from polymer, which is a very high tech plastic that was not around in the old timers day. He is going by his experiences with old timey plastic.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well, 100 years from now we will know for sure.
In the mean time my Glocks are rockin and I don't care if they wear out 75 years from now since I won't be here to worry about it.

Besides, if you're shooting that Glock like you should you might just wear it out in 50,000 rounds or so so you won't have to worry about that "plastic" getting old.

P.S. plenty of metal frame pistols have cracked and worn out in the past.

P.P.S Why is there always some opinionated fool that just wants to rain on someone elses parade. Hey if you don't like someones gun, shutup about it unless he asks your opinion.

·
Banned
775 Posts
Well, 100 years from now we will know for sure.
In the mean time my Glocks are rockin and I don't care if they wear out 75 years from now since I won't be here to worry about it.

Besides, if you're shooting that Glock like you should you might just wear it out in 50,000 rounds or so so you won't have to worry about that "plastic" getting old.

P.S. plenty of metal frame pistols have cracked and worn out in the past.

P.P.S Why is there always some opinionated fool that just wants to rain on someone elses parade. Hey if you don't like someones gun, shutup about it unless he asks your opinion.
My thoughts exactly. I remember when Colt said there LW Commander frames were as good as steel, stainless steel wouldn't gall(sp). That is the thing with the test of time. It takes time.:cool:

·
Registered
344 Posts
While i appreciate the fact that my Glock wont crumble in my life time (per se). I for one hope they last a long time. i want to be able to hand my firearms down the family tree.

·
Tackleberry
895 Posts
The Glock will hold up just fine. Ever notice how old timers are fairly well set in their ways? Well, he's probably earned the right to be so. Just be polite, smile, and keep your rounds in the 10 ring.

The proof is in the paper punching.

·
9,373 Posts
Nobody really knows...

He might be right. It will crack under some circumstances. All plastic is subject to degradation from UV and heat so who knows.

Time will be the only real test. But I would not dismiss his comments just because of our own bias.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Maybe that guy should trade in his 1979 Ford Fairlane for something a little newer. Even if the Glock was made from that type of plastic, which it is not, it would take years of exposer to sunlight to cause that type of brittleness. Which doesn't even happen in cars anymore.

·
Drop those nuts
9,539 Posts
Glocks are made from polymer, which is a very high tech plastic that was not around in the old timers day. He is going by his experiences with old timey plastic.
True, but also not quite true.
I design plastic stuff for a living.

The word Polymer, is a very general term that includes just about any plastic, including the old cheap brittle crap, but also a lot more than just plastics. There are organic compounds in your body that are also polymers.

Glock just uses the word Polymer because it sounds good to the marketing people - like saying petroleum instead is saying gas or oil. It does NOT mean some kind of especially good hi tech plastic. It's a certainty that "Glock Ploymer" is not a secret proprietary material developed by Glock, and is actually just another commercially available grade of Nylon that Du Pont, BASF, GE Plastics, Dow Chemical, or some other plastic manufacturer also sells to other customers, and not just to Glock. And there are many applications for good, quality Nylon that are even more demanding that pistol frames. I know, because I design such parts all the time, and there are literally hundreds of different kinds of Nylon plastic (polymer of it makes you feel better) to choose from, no matter what you are designing. "Glock polymer" is no different and no more "hi tech" than the stuff plastic designers use for lots of things.

But the old timer is dead wrong in thinking that a Glock will get brittle and eventually crack like a car interior. Plastic gets an underserved bad rap from people who only remember that cheap stuff that model cars are made out of, and have no idea how many new plastics have been invented in recent decades that retain their strength for a very long time with no tendency to ever become brittle. PLASTIC is an excellent material for pistol frames, assuming they are designed by someone who knows how to use the material properly. A person who does not know plastics well, could easily design frames that would break no matter what kind of "polymer" you molded them out of.

This obsolete & untrue attitude toward modern plastics is no doubt the reason why some companies like Glock, for marketing reasons, choose to try to distance themselves and their products from those old memories of cheap brittle plastic by calling it "Polymer". But polymer is just a fancier word that doesn't mean anything that "plastic" does not say just as accurately

I've designed plastic parts for lawn and garden equipment that are molded out of Nylon every bit as new and strong and "hi tech" as the stuff that Glock frames are made of, because they needed to be, since the parts were subjected to a much worse beating that a pistol frame ever sees. Compared to the standards of strength & toughness that the plastic manufacturers already had to acheive to serve all the other markets for plastic, (that most people would never think of) coming up with a plastic for a gun frame was certainly no big deal. There are at least a hundred available grades you could choose off the shelf to mold Glock frames, and nobody would ever notice the difference.

Plastic has truely come of age, and after all these years, people are still not really aware of what plastics can do.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,583 Posts
Plastic has truely come of age, and after all these years, people are still not really aware of what plastics can do.
Excellent post Brian!

I don't really know anything about 'plastics', but at first the Glock detractors said the frames wouldn't last ten years, then at ten years they decided to say twenty years.....

Well, my first G17 went 22 years (and about 130,000 rounds) before it broke....the steel slide that is....the frame is still going strong. :)

I bet that guy's Model 59 hasn't got anywhere near that many rounds through it, and it probably never will.

:patriot:

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
They said the same thing about M-16's when they first came out.
How many of these people who claim plastic is junk for guns know that there are cars out there with "plastic" timing gears?
There are a ton of things made out of plastic that most people would not imagine.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts