Old gun used in a crime

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Folsom_Prison, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Got a call a while back which I missed and got a voicemail.

Hello FP this is detective so and so, I had a few questions for you please call me back at said number.

This was out of the blue with no explanation in the voicemail as to why. Obviously I hadn’t done anything wrong but the wtf moment was there.

I call him back and he’s asking about a glock 30 involved in a crime that got traced back to me. Now I was like WTAF, it’s in the truck as I’m talking to him.

Had to think about it a second and I had one years back I had sold in a FTF Cash transfer. I was bad about buying/selling years ago.

I explained to him what I had did, then he starts to quiz me to who, what did they look like, when was this ect. Shoot beats me that was probably five years ago I sold that thing. The guy had what I though was a legit state ID.

Long story short they got a domestic violence call in the hood. Upon the officers arrival the guy thought it would be fun to play shoot it out with the cops. Lough and behold he was using my old glock.

The gun was taken as evidence, obviously I was in the clear. Before we hung up i asked if I could have it back lol. Nope it will be destroyed, I was thinking yea right one of yours boys got a new glock I bet.

Anybody have a story about a gun you sold?

DocPoison, B C and Lt. Donn like this.
  2. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper Don't Jump!

... how did they trace it back to you?

Folsom_Prison likes this.

3. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

You really think we (the police) got a free gun and we are thieves????

4. railfancwb

railfancwb

Well, I bought an S&W New Departure .38 S&W revolver off GunBroker. An antique, made in the late 1800s, listed as No FFL Required. Seller said send my C&R and he would mail it to me. Have no C&R so he insisted on mailing it to my local FFL.

Annoying but otherwise not that big a deal, so I sent a copy of my dealer’s FFL with the payment. The seller had a C&R but did not enclose a copy with the gun so I had to get him to send one.

When the rest of the paperwork arrived I went to pick up the revolver and the 4473 background check brought information the gun was stolen.

So local Sherrif picked up the gun. After sending a copy of GunBroker’s statement that I was due a full refund, I did get my cash back.

NJ1911, Inyo Tim and Folsom_Prison like this.
  5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

That’s what I’ve wondered honestly, I bought it brand new online iirc but couldn’t tell you who from.

6. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Oh lighten up lol

John_AZ, WPGlocks and Jonesee like this.
  7. mdlott

mdlott

Probably not you, but I'm sure that **** happens everyday.

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

How did they know it was that exact gun since it was so old?

railfancwb likes this.
  9. pgg00

pgg00

You would have filled out a 4473 at some point. That's how they got your information. ATF has tracked down information for us that way

-JCN-, Folsom_Prison, flyover and 6 others like this.
  10. fishhunter3

fishhunter3

had a friend that had a gun shop, one day while I was in talking to him he received a call from the ATF about a gun by SN, he had to look it up in his books and call them back, so I asked what was going on he said they check with the Mfg, and then the distributor, then the gun store it was sold at, to the buyers, he said it happens all the time just to test the system.

11. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

oblivious and insulting! serial number was ran, logged into evidence. Property room custodian tracks it, detective in case also deals with it. Property custodians/detectives submits lists of evidence for destruction and or release. Some are automatic destruction based on crime and or judges orders for review too. Some of the other guns will be purchased by your regional police gun suppliers. Thus getting the dept new guns, ammo and equipment. Thats after sitting in evidence for some time often a few years. I doubt the gun was ever cleaned or oiled since the OP had it which is usually the case. Ive seen some rough glocks, surface rust internally and the slides looked pitted like road rash. The OP was likely the first buyer which was recorded during the sale. Which is usually all i got back is the first buyer from the ffl beyond the distributor. I think once, i had a gun with three prior owners. When trying to track down the proper owners, when you find it dropped from someone running, left in the car when they bailed from or tossed out of a car your chasing.

pgg00 likes this.
  12. railfancwb

railfancwb

Well, I bought an S&W New Departure .38 S&W revolver off GunBroker. An antique, made in the late 1800s, listed as No FFL Required. Seller said send my C&R and he would mail it to me. Have no C&R so he insisted on mailing it to my local FFL.

Annoying but otherwise not that big a deal, so I sent a copy of my dealer’s FFL with the payment. The seller had a C&R but did not enclose a copy with the gun so I had to get him to send one.

When the rest of the paperwork arrived I went to pick up the revolver and the 4473 background check brought information the gun was stolen.

So local Sherrif picked up the gun. After sending a copy of GunBroker’s statement that I was due a full refund, I did get my cash back.

ruffhunter likes this.
  13. railfancwb

railfancwb

Serial number entered on the 4473 and supplied for the background check along with my personal data. The person from whom it was stolen had provided the serial number when reporting the gun stolen.

ruffhunter likes this.
  14. Caver 60

Caver 60

If you bought a gun through a dealer during the last few decades, it's registered to you. Surprise, surprise. That old, I lost 40 guns in a boating accident, thing isn't going to fly.

porschedog and Folsom_Prison like this.
  15. 119922

16. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

If the FFL has the paper records. They don’t provide the serial number to ATF when you buy.
    I knew a guy, deceased now, that would claim destroyed paperwork and books every time there was a hurricane or tropical storm that blew through. He did not like the ATF.

17. 119922

Strange stuff happens with stolen firearms. My Father had a cheap Raven .25 caliber stolen out of a vehicle. He made the report and a few years later he got the call to come and pick it up it had been recovered. He said it was the strangest thing. When it was stolen it was blue with wood grips. When recovered it was nickle plated with fake ivory grips.

He said he tried to tell them it was the wrong gun but they were so nasty he said "Yes Sir" signed for it and took it home. I've been assured that such a thing was impossible even though I've handled the gun.

Folsom_Prison and Caver 60 like this.
  18. Caver 60

Caver 60

Your bold part is a true statement, if the dealers bound book is still in existence in one form or the other. But how many hurricanes come through and destroy the dealers business? Poor guy must have had a terrible time repairing all the hurricane damage.

But a dealer is legally required to keep that bound book for 20 years. If the dealer goes out of business, he's required to send all bound books younger than 20 years to the Fed's. Any guess what they do with the info in the bound book? So there's at least 20 years worth of registration info to the first purchaser.

And the Feds have been known to come after people who have bought large numbers of guns, and then claimed they sold them to someone. Straw man purchases, or dealing without a license.

19. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Yep had a dick spl stolen years ago... actually got it back a few years later... amazingly,no damage

20. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

I had the same thing happen to me years ago. I used to buy and trade guns constantly and had traded a Taurus 92, the Brazilian copy of the Beretta 92. I got a call from the local police department years after I'd traded it saying it had been used in a murder. I told him I no longer owned it, that I had traded it years before and probably had a record of the trade somewhere. I rummaged through my papers but, unfortunately, I couldn't find it. He didn't seem terribly concerned and I never heard another word about it.