Old funny police training videos

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Padre, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Padre

Padre

Trying to find some of the old police training videos....the funny ones.
    I remember there was one with a Sergeant...can't remember his name....long mustache. Seemed to be able to screw up everything. Had a certain swagger (I know, like all of them).
    Lot's of good information presented in a good way.
    Any ideas?

glock1097 likes this.
  2. Gombey

Gombey

Buck Savage is the stage name.

Ftttu, wreckless, CAcop and 2 others like this.

3. 1L26

1L26

You may all go to Hell and I will go to TEXAS!
    Buck Savage was wild... lol! I met him years ago. Can't remember his real name. Good guy!

glock1097 likes this.
  4. Padre

Padre

YES....that's him
    Buck Savage!!!! Used to fall on my face laughing at him.
    Thank you very much folks. Now let me see if YouTube has any video's
    <Padre>

5. Ohsheepdog

Ohsheepdog

Dave Smith of Arizona DPS. He's still an excellent trainer!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    CAcop, Gombey, ranger1968 and 2 others like this.
  6. papajohn

papajohn

7. CAcop

CAcop

He is out there still training. Got a younger wife, or at least aged better than him, who does training too.

If you do the social media thing he is out there too.

ranger1968 likes this.
  8. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

9. L-1

L-1

From 44 years ago. I'm actually in this one. I just looked at it and was reminded of how many of my then coworkers are now dead. (Sigh)

cbetts1, larry_minn and MinervaDoe like this.
  10. wreckless

wreckless

Our agency had a LETV subscription that we were forced to watch at rollcall. It was worthless except for the Buck Savage segments. They were hilarious and kept us attentive. They were comedy gold with a grain of truth in them. We could always identify with some officer based upon Buck Savage's antics.

11. CAcop

CAcop

Was this done at the State Fairgrounds?

An old timer told me about going to the State Police course on executive protection and remembered racing around the fairgrounds. He left our agency for UCSC and with Angela Davis teaching up there the odds of radicals being up there was high.

12. L-1

L-1

No, it was done in the hills of Oakland and Berkeley. We rented space at the CHP Academy to run our dignitary protection school. The track you see in the video is the Oakland coluseum parking lot. We were really embarrassed that rather than have us drive fast, they just sped up the film, making the cars on the freeway in the background look like ants on speed.

It was believed that radicals were going to stage a revolution in connection with the 1976 Bicentennial, so the California State Police obtained a Federal grant to enhance dignitary protection for State and local officials. As part of that grant, the Feds required us to make three training films on dignitary protection that were to be dubbed in foreign languages and distributed to foreign dignitary protection agencies throughout the world. The first was on vehicle ambush, the secnod on residence security and the third on working your protectee in crowds.

On the day filming started, this hole in the wall production company shows up accompanied by a "technical advisor" who claimed he worked for a "police equipment firm." He had no business cards or sales catalogs and would never give us the name of exactly who he worked for. He was immediately made as someone who worked for "The Company" and he was needled to no end by everyone all the time we were there.

As a side note, the grant included a new, statewide UHF radio system. It was really neat for that time period and you could stand at the Mexican Border in San Diego with a walkie talkie and speak with someone who had another walkie talkie 700 miles north in Redding. The grant also covered training all State Police personnel in dignitary protection and not just those assigned to the detail, training 150 CHP personnel in dignitary protection, setting up an academy to teach dignitary protection to local agencies and and setting up hidden bunkers throughout the state containing vehicles, firearms and communications equipment that would be available to state and locally trained dignitary protection personnel should the revolution begin.

The revolution never came and we never learned where those bunkers, extra vehicles, radios and weapons were hidden.

13. CAcop

CAcop

Knowing the state the bunkers are out in places like Firebaugh. Some janitor comes out and dusts the place with no idea what's in the crates.

14. Sgt127

Sgt127

15. CAcop

CAcop

One of our now retired Sergeants worked for LASO at the time. Before the internet he brought in his tape of it. To say it is legendary in that agency is an understatement.

1L26 and Sgt127 like this.
  16. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

17. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Sgt127 likes this.