GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Señor Member
8,908 Posts
Hennessy is by far the biggest selling brandy here. Straight or missed with coke, orange juice, Red Bull, milk, sour mix, Henny Martini's, Henny Sunrise's, you name the drink, they will want Henny in it. I even had a couple homeboys who drank Henny and grape or orange soda. One guy would come in and ask for Henny and grape Kool-Aid. We drew the line there. I told him he was in a bar, not a day care center.

Most bar owners in my area got smart and stopped carrying Henny altogether. 80% of the problems went away.
The liquor store I go to has Hennessy behind lock and key. I think it's popular with cranberry.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Dr. Longfinger says I have to avoid alcohol due to the BP meds I'm on...
"Heavy sigh"

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I really love beer, however, when indulging in distilled spirits I tend towards such things as gin and tonic, white rum and tonic, or rum and Coke.

Reactions: Ramjet38

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Picked up some Bulleit Rye today based on comments here. Made fabulous old fashions. Life is good.

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,634 Posts

·
Banned
263 Posts
I have been drinking Jameson for a Month now, Good drink but looking for something new now. Thinking of drinking more wine too. Any recommendation will be very much appreciated.

·
Señor Member
8,908 Posts
I've never had Irish whisky, but a friend's favorite is Black Bush. I only use wine for cooking.

·
Huge Member
11,049 Posts
Reactions: BL33D 4 M3

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I am sort of a fan of Bar Rescue, John Taffer is an asshat.

But know bar biz, his cocktail expert know mixology.

I like straight Bourbon, Brandy, My Beer on ice. As my Beer is $6.99/12.

Good Mexican Beer in frosted glass.

Would like to try s couple of Taffer's special mixed drinks.

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,634 Posts
I have been drinking Jameson for a Month now, Good drink but looking for something new now. Thinking of drinking more wine too. Any recommendation will be very much appreciated.
Have you tried the Jameson Stout Caskmate? I really don't care too much for regular Jameson, but the Stout Caskmate is great. Jameson also makes an IPA Caskmate, if you like IPA's. Redbreast is an excellent Irish whiskey, as is Bushmill's Black Bush. I haven't tried it yet, but have heard good things about Proper 12, too.

Reactions: deputy tom

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,634 Posts
deleted, double post

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,634 Posts
I am sort of a fan of Bar Rescue, John Taffer is an asshat.

But know bar biz, his cocktail expert know mixology.

I like straight Bourbon, Brandy, My Beer on ice. As my Beer is $6.99/12.

Good Mexican Beer in frosted glass.

Would like to try s couple of Taffer's special mixed drinks.
John Taffer used to be the bar manager at Grossinger's Hotel here in Liberty, NY. he lost his job because he was demanding a percentage of the bar tender's and cocktail waitresses tips. I have spoke with several people who worked at bars he "rescued", they all say he is a raging ******* who is good at one thing, promoting himself. As for his special mixed drinks, they can be easily found in any bartender's book or Google.

$6.99 for a 12 pack? Ewww!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Jamesons' is my standard nightcap whiskey; we about as Irish as it gets, and I cannot remember a time growing up that there was not a bottle of it in our house, and it was the whiskey of choice in the bars where my father and his friends, blue collar Irishmen all, drank;

I always appreciated the fact that in addition to being a decent drink, Jamesons' could also be used to clean a carburetor or thin paint.....

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Jamesons' is my standard nightcap whiskey; we about as Irish as it gets, and I cannot remember a time growing up that there was not a bottle of it in our house, and it was the whiskey of choice in the bars where my father and his friends, blue collar Irishmen all, drank;

I always appreciated the fact that in addition to being a decent drink, Jamesons' could also be used to clean a carburetor or thin paint.....
I was taught that Jameson is orange (protestant) and Bushmills is green (catholic). I don't know if thats true or still true but I guess they were pretty serious about religion and spirit.

·
Gringo Viejo
28,733 Posts
Have you tried the Jameson Stout Caskmate? I really don't care too much for regular Jameson, but the Stout Caskmate is great. Jameson also makes an IPA Caskmate, if you like IPA's. Redbreast is an excellent Irish whiskey, as is Bushmill's Black Bush. I haven't tried it yet, but have heard good things about Proper 12, too.

I like Proper Twelve. It's my son's favorite and now it's my go to Irish whisky. tom.

Reactions: clancy

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,634 Posts
You were taught incorrectly, it's the,other way around.
I belong to several bartender forums and FB groups. Every time someone mentions Jameson the self-righteous snowflakes come crawling out of their holes, declaring how they refuse to serve Jameson. Back in 1888 James Jameson, heir to the distillery, was on an expedition with Henry Morton Stanley, in the Congo. Jameson bought a slave girl and gave it to a group of cannibals so he could watch them kill, butcher and eat her. Supposedly he made sketches of it. Gruesome as hell, and off the charts sick and disgusting, but for the life of me I can't see how a company should be held responsible for something someone did 130+ years ago. But, we are talking liberal/progressive snowflakes, and we all know they don't need much to get there panties into a bunch.

·
Banned
263 Posts
No i have not giving it a try, Weekend hideout plan loading.
Thanks buddy.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I belong to several bartender forums and FB groups. Every time someone mentions Jameson the self-righteous snowflakes come crawling out of their holes, declaring how they refuse to serve Jameson. Back in 1888 James Jameson, heir to the distillery, was on an expedition with Henry Morton Stanley, in the Congo. Jameson bought a slave girl and gave it to a group of cannibals so he could watch them kill, butcher and eat her. Supposedly he made sketches of it. Gruesome as hell, and off the charts sick and disgusting, but for the life of me I can't see how a company should be held responsible for something someone did 130+ years ago. But, we are talking liberal/progressive snowflakes, and we all know they don't need much to get there panties into a bunch.
Interesting piece of lore. I guess I need to pick up a bottle.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts