GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
You add lime and it becomes a Cuba Libre.

You all bring back memories. I was raised in a different era. If you drank, you drank with the family. You did not scurry around trying to buy liquor as a minor and drinking outside the home. Sundays, as a kid, I would drink a mai tai or Old Grand dad when we would have a barbecue. When extended family (upwards of 50 people) would go to a restaurant once a month, the older kids would drink a glass of wine. Those days are gone. You would have the Department of Social Services raiding homes today.

I am of that same era, and we did things the same way. When I was preparing to graduate high school in ’78, a school club of which I was a member had its annual awards banquet. Suits and dresses for everyone, so we looked good.

The after-party was hosted by a graduating club member’s parents. Picture about 75 kids, 18 and under, (drinking age was 21), on the lawn, everyone holding beer, wine and cocktails, with an open bar and professional bartender. Now picture a squad car slowly passing by and 75 kids raising their beverages in a toast to the local PD. Then the cop waves back and drives on.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if you did the same thing today.

I find it ironic that, if you and your family are strict law-abiding citizens, college-bound sons and daughters may take their first drink not in the safety of home under family supervision, but at a college bar encouraged on by their peers. Hardly the more desirable outcome!

Reactions: rotorhead1026

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I went a few rounds with Jose Cuervo a long time ago....

I lost.
I fought that battle myself. Glad you survived the encounter. :flag:

During my encounter I was clever enough to cut the lime up and put the knife away before getting started. I was also clever enough by that age to know to drink about a quart of water every time I woke up to hit the head. Saved my life. Everyone was amazed to see me at work the next day feeling fine. :dancingbanana:

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Hennessy is by far the biggest selling brandy here. Straight or missed with coke, orange juice, Red Bull, milk, sour mix, Henny Martini's, Henny Sunrise's, you name the drink, they will want Henny in it. I even had a couple homeboys who drank Henny and grape or orange soda. One guy would come in and ask for Henny and grape Kool-Aid. We drew the line there. I told him he was in a bar, not a day care center.

Most bar owners in my area got smart and stopped carrying Henny altogether. 80% of the problems went away.
My favorite liquor store is right on the edge of the hood. They have $200 bottles of scotch on the shelf but, the$30 bottles of Hennessy are behind the counter.

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,116 Posts
Some folks seem to put way too much thought into their drink. I'm quite satisfied whenever I put a couple of ice cubes and a couple or three fingers of good bourbon into whatever glass is the cleanest. Usually the glass that's just been taken down from the cabinet over the bar. But, whatever blows your skirt up.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I am mainly a bourbon drinker. Neat or one cube depending. Sometimes a good Manhattan. I recently discovered the Old Fashioned. Discovered is the wrong term. I always knew they were there but wasn't interested in muddled fruit and sugar granules floating around my drink. Always thought of them as the old folks drink up at the lake or out to fish fry. Enter the modern Old Fashioned. Cherry bitters, orange bitters, simple syrup, 2-3 oz bourbon, an orange peel. I'm smitten. Truly a wonderful cocktail. That is all. Carry on.
First real cocktail I ever ordered was an Old Fashioned at some bar in downtown San Antonio. I got that and a Lonestar. Liked it then, but not much of a Bourbon fan anymore.

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,634 Posts
Deleted because Berto beat me to it. :)

Reactions: berto62

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
What sorcery is this?
Prepare an old fashioned in a glass and set it aside. Now, grab a small plank of your favorite smoker hardwood. Hickory, oak, pecan, whatever you enjoy for brisket, ribs or butt.

Take your propane torch and char a small area of the plank until it smokes. Invert a second, empty glass over the smoldering area of the plank and allow the smoke to coat the inside of the glass. After a minute or two right the glass and pour in the old fashioned, add ice, garnish and enjoy. It's really neat! You'll think you're in a north wood supper club by a roaring fire. Just in time for winter.

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,634 Posts
A gimmick for the hipsters
That's pretty much all it is, a gimmick. The pretentiousness of hipsters defies imagination.

This is how one guy described Maker's Mark bourbon one night:

"Intense notes of hazelnut and sage, blessed with a smoky oak woodiness, and topped off by the merest hint of dark chocolate as a finish with a nose reminiscent of well oiled leather."

I replied, "dude, it's ****ing bourbon", and walked away to the other side of the bar. The people he was with seemed impressed. I wasn't.

·
Huge Member
11,048 Posts
Who has enjoyed a smoked old fashioned?
I have. Was in a bar with my hipster aged son, his wife and my daughter. They offered to buy me one. Said I had to try it. I was dubious at first but it was very, very good. And as I said I am not an old fashioned drinker.

Reactions: JohnnyE

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
A gimmick for the hipsters
That's pretty much all it is, a gimmick. The pretentiousness of hipsters defies imagination.

"Intense notes of hazelnut and sage, blessed with a smoky oak woodiness, and topped off by the merest hint of dark chocolate as a finish with a nose reminiscent of well oiled leather."

I replied, "dude, it's ****ing bourbon", and walked away to the other side of the bar. The people he was with seemed impressed. I wasn't.
Yep. “Ain’t nobody got time for that.”

I put JD in my old fashioned. YMMV.

Margaritas are my favorite, though.

·
Registered
11,924 Posts
1. It was difficult to find a clear glass jigger. Fortunately, I found a quality one on eBay and it arrived today.
2. I ordered quality tall and short whiskey glasses. They will be in next week. After Thanksgiving.
3. Still need a stirrer.
4. I found inexpensive Grenadine today. The girlfriend said she used to drink it in France as a child.
5. Darn, but I found 3 plastic bottles of Vodka at $3 each on closeout. Goes into the survival supply. Will put one in the bag in the trunk of the car, unopened.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Ya'll are old.

I'd try a Manhatten or old fashioned but I'll be damned if I know where to find "bitters" in the grocery store. Next to sensodine or malax?

·
First throwing ax bullseye.
2,390 Posts
I've become quite partial to whiskey sours.
I've 'rediscovered' them myself. Years ago I tried making them with purchased "Sweet & Sour" mix. Tasted, okay. But not great. Learned now to make them with fresh squeezed lemon juice. Much better.

I went a few rounds with Jose Cuervo a long time ago....

I lost.
You should try drinking tequila instead. (I will admit I am biased on tequila. If it has the name Cuervo on it I will not touch it.)

·
First throwing ax bullseye.
2,390 Posts

This reminds me of one of my favorite stories. When I was dating my ex-wife I decided to take us on a little wine tasting tour. So we hopped on my motorcycle and headed down to winery country. Turned out every one we went to was having a shindig since it was Memorial Day. We end up in this one winery and they are using similar descriptions for the wines. She and I took our glasses of wine and started sipping them. We started making up wild description. Things like 'it has a hint of road tar' or 'the essence of gum on the bottom of a school bus seat'. We were having a great time and laughing our butts off. People were very distinctly avoiding us. We always thought it was because we were still in our leathers. And we clearly weren't being solemn enough for the occasion.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts