close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Old Eyesight, what do I do?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rocken, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Rocken

Rocken

I now have admitted my problem, I am seeking solutions. I cannot see the sights on my pistols anymore. If I try really hard, I can make out the front blade but not the rear, I just guess whats least blurry. I do have bifocals. I have not tryed to shoot with them on yet. I have been leaving them home because I expect they would allow me to see the sights or the target, not both. What does the "older" crowd do? Can you learn to shoot with bifocals? Will I get better at guessing? Should I limit myself to point ,pop , and pray?

2. bentbiker

bentbiker

A laser will certainly solve the problem. I asked the same question about red-dot sights and didn't get an answer? This probably belongs over in the sights forum.

3. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

4. elde

elde Lifetime Member

I had my eye doctor make up a pair of "shooting glasses" for me. They actually are an average of my near vision prescription and my distance vision prescription. I can see the rear sights relatively well and the target up to about 15 yards equally well. They are a compromise, but helped with my target shooting - on a good day I can keep my .45 in 2.5 to 3" @ 25 yards. Prior to these glasses about the best I could do was 4". I use my bifocals for SD practice.

5. Noponer

Noponer

I am a "senior citizen" (per USPSA rules, I am even a "super senior"); I use progressive glasses for most daily wear. However, for shooting, I use the same prescription I had made for computer work... the whole upper part is for mid-range (3-4 feet... like the middle section in tri-focal glasses). I have bi-focals added for reading (12-18 inches). This works best for me in action pistol competition (USPSA). The target is not clear, but it is not too blurry; seeing the front sight clearly is more important for this shooting.

If you are interested in target-only shooting & have plent of time to aim, there is an add-on gizmo for regular glasses that is supposed to let you see sights & target clearly. I do not know if it works, but it would be to slow for USPSA, where rapid target transitions are required & shooting is done from many positions (around barriers, under tables, etc.).

6. jack76590

jack76590

I would look into a bifocal on the top of the len of your master eye that gives you a good sight picture. When firing a pistol it is natural to put your head down a bit. To turn head up is real unnatural.

This would give you glasses you could wear all the time. In a gunfight you don't want to say, "wait until I put on my special glasses."

If anyone asked about you bifocal lens on top, tell them you operate a machine where the gauges are just above eye level.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  7. Noponer

Noponer

Not an old guy, huh?

Lasik will not help presbyopia... what older people get. It's an inablility for the lens to change shape as much as it did when younger. You know... holding things farther away so it can be read?

8. G26ster

G26ster

I'm a Senior too and wear tri-focals. The best investment I made was a Crimson Trace laser grip on my G26. While not rapid fire, I can put 10 rounds in 10 seconds in a 3" bull at 25'. Couldn't do that before :supergrin:

9. VaOkie

VaOkie

I experienced the same blurry sight deal. A trip to the eye doctor and trifocals solved the problem.

10. Noponer

Noponer

As noted above, I use special glasses for shooting USPSA, but for targets within 7-8 yards, I do not need or use the sights... other than as a peripheral reference.

A gunfight would probably be within that range 99% of the time. I believe I am correct in saying that most gunfights occur within a few feet. I would hate to be in a gunfight where I had to carefully align my sights... if the bad guy had a gun, too.

11. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I'm of the opinion that lasers are the best option for the old eyes problem. However, it's not a perfect solution because in direct bright sunlight lasers get pretty hard, if not impossible, to see - even green ones. But if your concern is SD situations that would likely happen under indoor lighting, lasers will solve it for you. Outdoors at night, I'd MUCH rather use a laser than to use night sights, even if I could go back to having young eyes again.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Recently I have had some success with the TruGlo TFO sights which combine fiber optics with a tritium night sight. Eventually I suspect I will have to have a special pair of eyeglasses made for shooting. I have no knowledge of these folks other than what I have read http://www.rxshootingglasses.com/ but when the time comes I will start with them (in between bathroom trips)

13. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

Laser sight Crimson Trace or LaserMax and check batteries often. With bad eyes the best way to insure accurate hits in SHTF situation. I pass this advice from experience I am 62 and have CT on all my Glocks and @ 10 yards at all light levels I can pick up the dot @ twilight and @ nite range goes to 30 yds. And are better than night sights.

14. striker6126

striker6126

Not to long ago we put a crimson trace on my grandfathers g19 for the very reason you described above . It seems to have helped a good bit.

15. Hairy

Hairy

Crimson Trace Lasergrips......point and shoot:dunno:

16. Brucev

Brucev

Go to Wal-Mart. Pick out a pair of reading glasses that will allow you to see your front sight in sharp focus. Go shooting! I have found that I can do very good shooting with a pair of 1x reading glasses using the standard iron sights of my S&W revolvers, my SA 1911 Mil. Spec. and my Glock G-22. These are standard type factory sighs. Using these 1x reading glasses also allows me to shoot my 1903 Springfield and M-1 Garand rifles as well as my KAR-98 rifles. It may be that you will need to choose a different magnification, but hopefully this will be of some help to you. Sincerely. Brucev.

17. wheel

wheel

I'm surprised nobody picked up on this.

Proper aiming involves focusing on the front sight. There is no need for the rear sight to be in sharp focus. You should be concentrating on the front sight only. All you need to see of the rear sight is the daylight on each side of it. Your brain will automatically center the front sight with respect to the rear even if the rear appears fuzzy. So any glasses that allow you to see the front sight decently will solve your problem.

Also, any glasses that allow you to see the front sight clearly will also show you the target clearly at the same time. The focal range for "distance" glasses is roughly 2-3 feet to infinity.

18. Rocken

Rocken

Thanks for the many responces in such a short period of time. Lazers should be the answer, however I want to shoot my pistol like I always have. Nothing against lazers, they have their place and I may revisit it if the bifocals fail.
    From what I hear, I should vring my lineless computer glasses first. I'll give them a try. Heck I'll bring them all. I'll leave the shooting glasses home next time ( All my glasses are ansi z87. Work buys them.).
    Thanks guys

19. JD HHI 6092

JD HHI 6092

20. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

I have a good pair of reading glasses, not the kind you get at the 99 Cent store but from an optometrist (sp?). These are hard plastic, prescription and offer me adequate protection. I can see the gun sights quite well. That's what you want, the front sight in focus, not the target. Plus, I can see the back sight and the space between the two. Focus on the front sight!