close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Old computer won't boot?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by iweb, Dec 2, 2006.

1. iweb

iweb

I have had an old pent 1 computer for years and its been sitting on my desk without being used for a couple of months. Today when I tried to turn it on it made all the sounds of the HDD spinning but nothing shows on the monitor so I got another monitor and still nothing, just dark. Everything was working last time I used it and it has Win 2K.

Any ideas on how to get it to work?

Thanks.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Win2k on a Pentium I? ;) I'd love to see the benchmarks for that.

If the power is coming on, etc, my first thought would be the video card is toast.

IGF

3. iweb

iweb

Not the fastest on earth but I just need to get some stuff off of it.

Would the video card go bad just sitting on the desk for a few months?

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

It shouldn't, but who knows. You're not getting any beep codes, etc., power is getting the PC just fine, as you state you can "hear" the drive accessing.

Video card just seems like the next obvious choice.

What you could do, is take out the hard drive, hook it up as a slave drive to your working PC. Turn PC on, then move the files, or whatever else you need, to your main drive on your working PC....

IGF

5. lens

lens

One possibility is that the video card isn't firmly in the socket or that some dust/dirt/oxidation is causing bad connections and thus no video.

Open it up and remove/replace the video card and see if that changes things. If not, likely the video card is bad.

You could slave the HDD to another machine to get any data files off the old/bad machine.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

A loose video card is most likely.Check cards and connections.even if they look good remove and reseat them.

7. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

If you just need some files off it then go this route:

Go to nearest computer store and buy an external hard drive case. Take the hard drive out of the old computer and put it in the case.

Then you can plug the case/hard drive into your new computer via USB and get all your data off. I order these all the time for people from Newegg - cost about $20.

If you were closer I would offer to use mine and save your data for you.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You know, whoever thought those external enclosers up for IDE hard drives up, is a genius. I think all of us, have an old hard drive laying around in some size or another. Although because I'm impatient, I bought Best Buy's enclosure(Dynex, 49.99), they are cheaper online at Newegg and Tigerdirect, but after shipping, etc, you don't save that much(great idea if you're tacking it on to another order).

Super simple, and a cheap, easy way to have a mass storage backup. An 80gig hard drive I had laying around was perfect for this, and has been awesome.

IGF

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Do Pentium (1) PC's even have USB ports?

10. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

No I dont believe they do...P1s had come and gone before USB caught on.

11. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I remember when laptops were the first PC's to have USB ports.There were no USB devices at the time.Nobody knew why the laptops had those funny ports on them.Now there is Firewire 800.Not really any devices that are that fast.Most of the few devices with Firewire 800 connectors only transfer data at Firewire 400 speed anyway.