Glock Talk banner

Old Cobra for EDC?

1935 52
This one is 1950s. The holster is OWB vintage ( the hammer can’t move in this holster, the cylinder can’t turn). anyone carry one? Would anyone carry one with so many ‘modern’ semis Available?
Gun barrel Revolver Trigger Gun accessory Air gun

Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
1,319 Posts
This one is 1950s. The holster is OWB vintage ( the hammer can’t move in this holster, the cylinder can’t turn). anyone carry one? Would anyone carry one with so many ‘modern’ semis Available? View attachment 1135994
View attachment 1135993
Yes, I would carry it. I love nostalgia. Especially Colt nostalgia.

You have a piece of history there. Nice handgun. :)

· Registered
39,630 Posts
My eyes were first drawn to the holster. An old crossdraw design that was copied (successfully) up through the 80's, at least.

I picked up a New/Old Stock example from an online vendor who specializes in finding old leather. Mine was made by Earl Ginn company, a small leather maker shop I used to patronize as a young cop. He was located in the South SF Bay Area city of Belmont. Many agencies used him for their duty gear, and he did repairs/modifications of other leather gear.

I still have some of my old leather gear from those days, made by him, and I wanted to get the New/Old Stock crossdraw holster that was from his shop.

I have more than half a dozen J's that work with this holster, but this pic was taken using one of my 642-1's.

The crossdraw design's belt tunnel (wider on one side) allowed for the holster to be tipped within a range of angle to suit the wearer.

As far as using the 50's vintage Cobra? Why not, presuming it remains in good working order. If it were me, I'd stick with standard pressure .38SPL, though. No reason to stress such a nice old example of Colt's revolver heydays. ;)

I have a not-quite-so-old snub, front a short production S&W made using an older revision of the 37 Airweight. Produced as a DAO model for a canceled overseas police contract, using an older frame before MIM and some of the newer metallurgy was incorporated. I'll never use +P in it (after discussing it with some people at the factory, as an armorer). I carry it, and run it for range quals/drills, using some assorted standard pressure loads I've come to favor. As a last resort, I'd not feel ill-equipped using standard pressure 158gr LSWC, but would really try to avoid RNL.

Nice Colt. ;)

· Registered
2 Posts
Being old as dirt I have carried a cobra, detective special and chief's specials in the past. Carried the 5 shot on my ankle as a backup to my G22 on the job. Nothing wrong with that wheel gun. It has it's limitations but is a dependable choice. Since the G43 came out, I retired my wheelguns.

· Banned
464 Posts
This one is 1950s. The holster is OWB vintage ( the hammer can’t move in this holster, the cylinder can’t turn). anyone carry one? Would anyone carry one with so many ‘modern’ semis Available? View attachment 1135994
View attachment 1135993
Yeah I 100% would not want that in evidence for a year plus if you get it back at all after a good shoot. Just my opinion. For carry I like Glocks because A.) Under $1,000 and B.) Replaceable.

· NRA Life Member
75,531 Posts
I wouldn't object to carrying a 6-shot revolver for self-defense. It's the caliber that bothers me. If I had a J frame in .357, I'd carry it, but .38 spl is just not enough, when you factor in reload speed.

Reactions: Lola1

· NRA Life Member
75,531 Posts
Being old as dirt I have carried a cobra, detective special and chief's specials in the past. Carried the 5 shot on my ankle as a backup to my G22 on the job. Nothing wrong with that wheel gun. It has it's limitations but is a dependable choice. Since the G43 came out, I retired my wheelguns.
Yep. I was a hair away from buy a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 today, and I'd have carried it, but I really couldn't justify laying out money for it, when I have semi-autos already that will do the job.

Reactions: Hootch56

· Registered
11,022 Posts
Why not?

If it's in working order, it'll do the same job it did in the 1950s. People havent evolved to be more bulletproof.

This "Frankendickspecial" routinely rides in one of my vehicles. Detective Special 1960s barrel on a pre war Police Positive frame. Still goes bang with every pull of the trigger.

Revolver Wood Everyday carry Gun accessory Font

· On the day of your birth death began stalking you
10,784 Posts
I would Carry it.

· Registered
39,630 Posts
A 20+ ounce snub may hang a little heavier in a pocket - or off the belt - than a 11-15oz J-frame, but the slight increase in weight (more than 'slight', if you want to caluclated percentages in weight increase ;) ) can help the average shooter when it comes to felt recoil and muzzle whip.

Speaking of percentage comparisons figures, remember when Colt tried to counter the size and weight disadvantages of the DS snub, compared to the Chiefs Special, by telling prospective customers that the 6th round gave them a 20% increase in available firepower?

Percentages and statistics. :p

Sure, joking aside, if weight and size aren't a concern regarding desirable carry method at any particular time, I find my 3" M65 to offer not only a 6th round advantage over my 5-shot snubs, but able to use .357MAG. (I'm partial to 125gr SJHP, 140gr SJHP and 149gr STHP when it comes to Magnum loads, but I only have a couple boxes of the older 140gr SJHP left from those older times.)

My 3" M65 is also easier to control under the recoil of the Magnum loads than my M&P 340's ... but I can;t stuff my 3" M65 into a pocket holster nestled in a front jeans pocket. ;)

Choices are often about deciding upon the compromises you're willing to accept. :)

· PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
14,999 Posts
Yeah I 100% would not want that in evidence for a year plus if you get it back at all after a good shoot. Just my opinion. For carry I like Glocks because A.) Under $1,000 and B.) Replaceable.
That is an aspect of SD that many folks fail to grasp or are unaware of altogether... folks need to be educated about this...thanks for bringing it up

· Registered
7,802 Posts
That is an aspect of SD that many folks fail to grasp or are unaware of altogether... folks need to be educated about this...thanks for bringing it up
That’s why I have a cobra and the special.

Honestly, if my gun went to impound because I had to use it to save myself or my family, losing the revolver (or any other gun) would be my last concern.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts