Old and Fat......

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by eagle359, Jun 6, 2020.

1. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

I just got through working on my gutters. We are getting a lot of rain in the next few days. I feel like I was run over by a very large truck. Knees and back are shot. If I may I would like to give you some advice about something that I have learned the hard way. There is nothing that you can do about growing older and hopefully you will gather some knowledge and wisdom along the way. I have never been thin. About 15 years ago I started gaining a few pounds each year. I never broke 300 pounds, but I did push it pretty hard a few times. I am at about 270 right now. My friends please do not get fat. Once on it is a difficult process to get it off. My over 400 pound son-in-law died a day short of turning 45. I turn 70 in July and my goal is to be at 250 by the end of the year.

sombunya, fx77, Glock1963 and 24 others like this.
  2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Good luck and sorry to hear about S-i-L. I need to lose about twenty pounds myself. My metabolism isn't what it used to be.

davedc, Caver 60, Inyo Tim and 2 others like this.

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Fair lady, your chariot awaits.

I can’t speak to the fat part, but I can definitely relate to the old part as I lie here on a heating pad inhaling Icy Hot fumes.

My body just can’t keep up with my physical ambition any more. It’s depressing, but if I’m going down, it’s gonna be fighting.

4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

6' 2" here and never hit 200 pounds although I seem to flirt with it a lot. For me now it seems my gas tank runs out a lot faster than it used to, and also takes me longer to build up the enthusiasm to even start a real task around the house.

davedc, Glock1963, E-2-E and 6 others like this.
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Over the past ten years, my physical activity has declined, and it's been visibly noticeable...I need to get out and move move move, it's my sincere belief that physical activity is the Fountain of Youth.

Sfaql, Inyo Tim and Boo Berry like this.
  6. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Well to my credit I did go for a mile walk this morning then came home and mowed the grass.

Thank God its a John Deere rider.

Pythonman, byf43, Sfaql and 9 others like this.
  7. DAKA

DAKA

Happens to all of us.....get out and walk, cut out the carbs...

8. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

When I decided to diet the cook at the senior center told me to quit eating all bread, crackers and no sugar drinks. I lost 30 lbs. fairly quick and have managed to keep it off.

sombunya, varget, byf43 and 5 others like this.
  9. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

5'10" and never called skinny. At 17 out of boot camp was 175 pounds. That was many years ago. Last November hit 279 and felt every pound of it. I was down to 237 till the lock down. Work schedule was cut back and I got a little lazy. This mourning I was 242. Losing 40 pounds has done wonders for my knees. I sleep much better and the wife says I don't snore like I used to. Getting my diet back in order and would like to see 210 by the end of summer. Not going back to the way it was!

sombunya, varget, Sfaql and 3 others like this.
  10. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

I think low carb is great for losing it quick nut not for a long-term diet. That along with some fasting is amazingly effective. Personally, I find fasting on and off easier than just not eating much. I can go a day without eating easily and I think most people can. Just figure out if you do better eating when you first wake up or later in the day, maybe before you sleep. Fasting is great for you as well.

ithaca_deerslayer and nursetim like this.
  11. 119922

Sigh. Knees are shot from injuries as is back. I'm 5'-10" to 5'-11" unless you lay me on my side then I'm 6'-6". Have no idea how much I weigh. Last time I stepped on the talking scale it said "One at a time please". I said "I'm alone". Scale said "Then please put all four legs on the scale". I said "I only have two legs". Scale said "JESUS CHRIST"!

I mean I don't know what to do. I've tried everything except diet and exercise. Saaay, wait a minute!

12. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

I have never been overweight my entire life, but this pandemic BS helped me add 10 lbs. It doesn't sound like much, but when it all goes to your stomach it is annoying. It has made concealed carrying uncomfortable at a time when I believe I need to be.

Thank goodness my gym opened up this week. I am hoping to drop this weight within the next month.

13. Trademark

Trademark tabula rasa

Right! We gonna slide into home plate battered bruised and dented. WHEW!! What a ride!! Use your body like you stole it. Sure it hurts,
    that’s part of living!
    Nobody gets out alive. Enjoy the days. Don’t waste them. You all know time goes so fast.

varget and Boo Berry like this.
  14. nursetim

nursetim

I don’t know about that. But I CAN say, with a good deal of confidence, that death hates a moving target.

varget, Ramjet38 and 1bigK like this.
  15. as400guy1

as400guy1

Based on the thread title, i thought you were talking about me.

byf43 and Ramjet38 like this.
  16. Dafrank

Dafrank

I'm a very active 73 year old, still working at a job that is sometimes very physically demanding, and I've been fighting weight gain for almost my whole life. In my youth, while I was not a great athlete, nonetheless, I did play a lot of strenuous sports - football, soccer, basketball, wrestling, and pretty high level tennis, plus I trained by running an awful lot. This always helped control my weight, so I could eat more like my "inner pig" seemed to demand, but not get too fat. I even ran a couple of marathon's in my early thirties. Now, with the usual later-in-life maladies, it's no longer easy to burn off so many calories in exercise. In the past, whenever I went through periods of high stress and very long working hours, and my exercise regimen went to hell, I gained weight, sometimes way too much. My low wrestling weight in high school was an emaciated 139 lbs., and I've weighed as much as 215 lbs. at 5' 9". Right now, I'm at 185 and looking to lose 10 or 15 pounds, slowly. Over all these years, I've learned a lot about losing weight. FWIW, here are some rules for weight loss I've learned that might be helpful to others.

Eat good food. Sounds simple enough, but it isn't. Never mind any detailed and nit picky diet plans, although they may work for many people. I just try to stick with the common sense basics. Eat small portions of lean meat, lots of leafy and other green vegetables, and only occasional or very small portions of carbs like bread and pasta. Never drink soft drinks, and drink alcohol only on special occasions, in small quantities. Instead, drink just lots and lots of water plus coffee or tea when you want it. Some fruit is necessary and great, but not a lot, due to its high sugar content. Obviously, skip deserts and snacks altogether. Eat more smaller meals - like maybe three instead of two - each day than you ordinarily do, and don't eat your biggest meal past 5 or 6 pm, or preferably even earlier, depending on when your bedtime is. Exercise as much as is possible for your situation, and if you're past 60, walk, walk, and walk; you don't have to run. Finally, above all else, the simple but hardest thing of all, keep your portions small, eat slowly, and pay attention to when you feel full - not "stuffed" - but minimally satisfied, and stop eating then.

If you conscientiously follow what I outlined above, you will lose weight, slowly and safely. If you don't, you should consult your physician, as you may have an underlying medical problem that hinders your natural ability to control your weight.

bob98247 likes this.
  17. Caver 60

Caver 60

Late seventies. Haven't measured my height lately, but I know I'm shorter than i used to be. I'd guess about 5' 8" now. One hundred sixty five pounds soaking wet.

I've been at that weight now for about 30 years. I was extremely active until my early 70's, but slowing down noticeably now.

I'd love to loose about 25 pounds, but just don't have the will power.

However my 'little' brother, who was a couple inches shorter than me, hit 350 before he died. I could let myself get that way if I didn't watch it.

byf43 and Ramjet38 like this.
  18. slym2none

slym2none

I am 5'9" to 6'2", depending on what convenience store we're in, and used to weigh 170. Shot up to 235 at one point, I am hovering around 200 now. My waist is tiny, and I can't seem to get rid of the belly. I know, it takes work, not just diet...

19. slym2none

slym2none

*EDIT* double tap

20. The Hawk

The Hawk

I can relate. About eight months ago I went on the Keto diet. I have lost 45 pounds and feel great. My Dr. is very happy with my results. Give it a try. It really does work and I don't get hungry between meals. I was amazed at how many carbs I was eating every day.

Collo Rosso, bob98247 and Caver 60 like this.