Okay you boys up north anybody hunt/trap a fisher

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Sep 16, 2005.

1. noway

noway

Title saids it all. Anybody have any experience in trapping or hunting fisher?

2. Castigliano

Castigliano

I think MN has a limited season on them, but I have no experience.
    My brother shot a mink off the top of a beaver lodge at 100 yards with his peep sighted 30-30 once!

Soo... I have no reason to reply other than I am a northern MN boy.

c

3. j6721

j6721

Where are you from in northern MN. I am from the Iron Range.

Jim

4. randyrat

randyrat

I've never trapped them But I have seen Fisher. What a preditor. I know they go after birds ,feral cats , red tree rats. I wondered what kind of pelt they have.Is there a market for them?

5. Castigliano

Castigliano

J,
    I grew up in Bagley (near Bemidji), however now I reside in west central MN. Still do most of hunting around Bagley and plan to go up this weekend grouse hunting. I hope the frost has taken some leaves down.

Nice to hear from a "ranger"

c

6. scooter12589

scooter12589

Right now I am in Calgary, Alberta. So I don't trap but I am going to spend some of my winters and summers with some trappers. I have known quite a few over the years and sometimes I envy them and others I don't.

7. FPS

FPS

I never hunted or trapped one, but one morning while living in Vermont I heard a ruckus in my basement. I opened the door, flicked on the light and much to my surprise a fisher was in my basement. I slammed the door and locked him down there. He eventually left through the window he came in through.

8. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

The "Old Farmer's Almanac" 2006 edition has a story on the fisher. (See "Your Kitty's New Worst Enemy", page 182). Very interesting article, but I found a crucial error. They claim the average weight of a fisher as 6lbs. BALONEY!!! They can reach 20lbs+ around here. I've seen them myself, much bigger than 6 lbs. A friend of mine, who has trapped a few, claims he got a 20 lb fisher once.

The fisher is a large nuisance in my neighborhood. They were "trapped-out" in the mid-20th century, and as they are the chief predator of porcupines, the porky's population exploded. They were re-introduced in the 1980s, as a "protected" species, to control the porkies. It worked.... way too well. Porkies are now few & far between, but fishers are abundant... too abundant, but still "protected". They have now taken to preying on pets. Especially cats & small dogs. I personally know 3 people who have lost a pet to the fisher. These are witnessed and confirmed predations. A few winters ago, I personally witnessed a fisher "stalking" my neighbor (on MY property), as she walked her little dust-mop-type doggie past my house. By the time I got a rifle out of the safe, it was gone.

Locally, their "protected" status is in the "Triple S" category... that is - "shoot, shovel, and shut-up". There is no hunting season, and a very limited trapping season. Have I "hunted" fishers myself? I'll plead the 5th, and won't tell you, but they're not welcome on my property, and are treated like any other noxious trespasser. ;)

9. noway

noway

A good story ;)

I'm curious tho, are the pelts worthy of some fur products? I wasn't aware of a fisher until I was talking to some trappers in my club and they spoke of this animal and it was common animal ouside of a beaver for trapping.

10. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Think of super-sizing a mink. :) According to the Almanac article (which I cannot or will not dispute... other than the fisher's size that they claim), a prime fisher pelt at one time went for as much as $400 each!!! But now they average between $30-50. I see them all the time while deer hunting in the nearby nat'l forest (prime fisher territory). They do have a nice long, luxurious, coat... especially in winter. Regardless of the pelt price, you cannot get rich trapping fishers anymore, because tags are severely limited in number. So not many people trap them anymore around here, too hard to get a tag. The fishers that wander into semi-populated areas (like mine), in search of filet-of-feline, usually succumb (sooner or later) to those who practice the "triple-S" wildlife management. ;)

6-7 years ago, the heavily wooded neighborhood I live in was overrun with grey squirrels. They were freakin' everywhere. They'd try to chew through your window screens if you left any food on the kitchen counters. Then a fisher or two moved in the immediate area. They were suddenly being spotted by all the neighbors (me too). Fishers are also partial to filet-of-squirrel, so the squirrel problem disappeared almost overnight. Not a bad thing at all. :) But a few neighborhood pets were lost too... not a good thing. :(

Those that I see out in the woods while deer hunting have nothing to fear from me. Those that I see in my front yard with house-cat on their menu are just suicidal.