close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Okay, who stolen all the quails ?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Dec 8, 2002.

1. noway

noway

How have you're quail season been ?

I whent quail hunting sat/sun with just one bird seen while drive to the hunting grounds. It seems like quail are slowing decreasing in numbers.

Now I understand why most private hunts charge like $350-450 per person for a 1 day hunt. The bad thing are these kinda of hunts are from domestic/commerical quail that have been released into the wild.

2. JLJ

JLJ

Around here they were all over the place when I was a kid. Not so now! My unprofessional opinion: lack of cover; a lot of farmers now farm right to the roads and they have filled in ditches by placing pipes and tiles. There are also more rural homes and more coyotes.

However, I have seem more in the past three years than in 20 years previous combined. Good trend! Pheasants are coming back also and we are getting wild turkeys.

Jess, NE Indiana

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i've gotten a baker's dozen so far this year in 6 trips. openening day i got 5 then my success rate dropped.

it's been colder now than it was last year at this time. i don't see as many birds scratching around in the open. we did have some late rains so i think that will help.

4. iweb

iweb

I have been to all of my regular hunting spots looking for chuckar or quail and there is nothing out there. I saw one bunch of chuckar and thats it. Lack of rain here seems to be the problem. Crap and I love to hunt!

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway,

You and i have talked before, and i know you used to live in Abilene,Tx...and told you about our ranch way west of there. The quail are not around there like they used to be either... not enough to guide a hunt for sure.

Even on the other place in Oklahoma, they have just sorta dissapeared????? (that started some years ago), and it used to be a mecca for quail!

I really have no explaination for this. Our bobcat population is not very high on the ranch in OKlahoma, it is fair at the ranch in Tx.
    but, not enough to denote the sudden thinning of the quail population.

My father-in-law in tenn: (at least in his part) even said, everything seems to be dissapearing! really strange. We have even had a really lousy deer crop at the ranch in Tx, this year..very bad in fact. the turkey are doing well, but that is about it...

drought, has, i believe, accounted for some of the problems.
    Even in Tenn: there is an out break of something they are calling blue tounge disease in the deer there. (in his part of the state). They really check one out of every four or five deer closely for this. On the other hand, as some others here have stated, things look good. Wish i had some answers myself!

hope you got a left over stock of dove in the frig! :)

Later

CanyonMan

6. noway

noway

That's a crying shame that the quails are all gone. I spoke to my parents still living in TX, and they told me the same thing the quail kinda slowly vanish.

Now a side question; Has anybody every seen a Quail nest? I know they build nests out in the fields and my father claims the quail does very well in camo and disgusing it so ground predators don't find it.

just curious.

7. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

no, i haven't. some of the quail where i hunt move out just before sunrise to a "staging area". from there the large covey breaks into several smaller coveys. i've traced them to the staging area, but have had no luck in trying to see any of them getting there or where they come from. they just appear, and start talking, out of the large brush just after sunrise. i know they are not there 30 minutes beforehand.

8. glockster96

glockster96 Moderator Lifetime Member

You guys just need to wheel up here to Kansas. They are thick this year. I even shot one with my truck. :)

9. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I was out in NW Kansas a few weeks ago hunting pheasant and we ran into 4-5 different coveys of the little birds. Largest was about 15 birds and smallest was about 8.

The guide said they were bouncing back pretty good since last year. I guess the drought has had a bad affect on them.

10. getnit1

getnit1 Millennium Member

The reason for the decrease in quail is the increase in fireants. This has been investigated by the TX wildlife dept. They are trying to come up with a cure. The fireants are killing all the young before they are able to get out of the nest. Quail nest in brush and therefore are easy targets for fireants. The adult quail never know its happening or to look for it to prevent it. I wonder if more people started killing the fireant population if we could impact this or not.

11. noway

noway

Yes that's always been a major problem thru out the lower states where the fire ant mounds never seem to go away. Any small baby animal/bird mortality rate is very high due to the african/brazilian fire ant. They can't get out of the way quick enough nor can they get them off.I still think other factors have to be considered. Fire ants are just one factor of many factors.The ants are new and been here for numerous years. Locations 5-10 years ago that use to be plentiful with bobwhites are now empty.

I have a new location reccommend by a FWC officer that I'm trying out for the first time this weekend.Dec 28 is their last day of the season so I have to get their now. Wish me luck.

12. six 4 sure

six 4 sure

Some of the theories I hear include the fire ants and an increase in predators. I bet you've noticed an increase in the number of hawks you've seen in the last ten years. Also consider the increase in the coyote population.

Six

13. TheActor

TheActor unsane

About 15 years ago here in carolina the quail started really dissappearing. When I was a kid I used to whistle up bobwhites to the back porch. Now there simply are none. Coveys went from a cloud of birds to maybe 5 if you were lucky. We used to train bird dogs for trials and hunters. It's been probably 7 years since we had even one dog let alone a kennel. The fact is this was a direct result of pesticide use. I can't recall the name of the particular, now outlawed, chemical but here's the deal. The birds eat grains sprayed with the pesticide. Since it didn't seem to harm the birds everyone thought it was ok. However it caused the eggshells to be very, very thin. So much so that a hen could step on and crush a shell. When hawks, eagles etc ate birds and rodents that had fed on the contaminated grains the same thing happened with their eggs. So it wasn't overhunting or poaching or housecats though those are still factors. It has taken a long time to rebuild the populations and it may be longer still. The Bald Eagle is no longer on the endangered species list, the quail population will return. And that's a fact. Now fireants, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

14. noway

noway

I think you hit the nail on the head,
    DET & DDT (IIRC) was the major chemicals back in the 60s/70s that was ban thru out the farming community pesticides. It was commonly used for crops and such. The grains theory sounds good and the Bald Eagles where also effected by the runoffs into the streams and lakes effecting their number #1 food source "fish".

"Once again we "humans" are suppose to be the smart ones"

15. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Fireants and a increase in Hawks was been the culprit where I hunt near Brownwood. Five years ago there was always a decent population of Bob's around. Then the Fireants moved in and the Quail are gone. Haven't seen a covey in two years.

We also have had good rain for the last three years, so that is not the problem. And DDT has been banned for a long time. Pelicans and Bald Eagles have long since recovered from that, if it was ever a real problem to begin with.

In fact, I am of the opinion that most animals that are small and ground based have been hurt by Fireants. I haven't seen an Armadillo in several years in the area I hunt. Used to see they everytime you went out.

Plenty of Whitetails and doves, as always. We have seen some turkeys too. And of course Coyotes, Raccoons, skunks and opossums always numerous.

16. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

All the quali are here in Southeastern New Mexico.
    I've limited out every time i've gone hunting this year.
    15 birds is the limit, i've gone hunting 5 times, 75 birds for me. 30 in the fridge (possesion limit), 45 cooked and eaten.
    :cool:
    The covey my brother and I busted last Saturday, had well over 40 birds in it.
    I'll be happy to guide any of the GT'ers who make it down my direction.

17. noway

noway

{I'll be happy to guide any of the GT'ers who make it down my direction.}

"I might have to take you up on that?" Are you near Clovis/Portales area? I have friend always iniviting me to come up that way.

I whent quaill hunting this sat/sun, the ground in my hunting zone was pretty much covered in 1"-6" of water. I flush one quail and could have shot it, but I would have had a hard time retrieving it out of the thick palmetto brush, so I let it live. Two other quail where seen. I actually had better luck downing 2 doves and missing a 3rd.

The only other bad thing was, I got axle stuck in soft sand & mud and had to be pulled out by some other hunters twice.

note to myself: Next truck will be 4wd.

18. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

I'm about an hour or so South of Clovis, in Hobbs, NM.
    Season runs until February 15.
    We just had our first snow today, i'm going out first thing tomorrow and tear 'em up.
    Remember that when you come out this direction, we have all Blue Quail, and wide open country, so get your track shoes on, these birds like to run, and run, and run......
    Email me if your headed out my direction.