close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Okay who makes their own stock?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by noway, Feb 28, 2005.

1. noway

noway

Title says it all. I was talking to a few chefs and they told me the pre-made package stock is good but if you want better flavor for you soups, to make your own stock vrs the can/box stock.

2. Roogalator

Roogalator Senior Grackle

Another equally compelling reason to make your own stock is that the commercial ones invariably have obscene amounts of sodium. We're talking like 1000mg for 8oz. of stock. Bleah.

If you like your stock salty then by all means salt til you drop. But if you're more moderate in your tastes, or you're trying to reduce the amount of sodium in your diet, then you pretty much have to roll your own.

And that's not a bad thing. Stocks are one of the simplest things to make -- in terms of elapsed time they take a little while, but the amount of actual effort involved is trivial. They're essential for soups, useful for all kinds of sauces, and can be used to liven up grains like rice, cous cous, and bulgar.

It's the perfect rainy Sunday afternoon project. Get a big *** stock pot, make a ton of it, and freeze it in various small containers for incredibly convenient use later. When you're ready to use it nuke it for a few minutes to thaw and there you go. Another good idea is to freeze it in ice cube trays -- this gives you a lot of flexibility for later use.

3. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

It is worth it. I make stock and demi-glace routinely and freeze it in food saver bags. Like Roo said, it is time consuming, yet low effort. Properly roasting the bones and a tall stock pot make a big difference. The amount of sodium in commercial stocks is crazy -- especially if the recipe calls for reducing X amount of stock by half -- then that 8 ounces of stock contains 2 grams of sodium.

4. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

When I toss a big fat 8-9 pound roasting chicken in a big pot of water with a few quartered onions,
    celery, carrots, peppercorns, some salt, herbs, and simmer it for 3 hours, I get a few things...

I get juicy, flavorful, fallin' apart chicken that I can do lots with, hot and cold...
    Fresh chicken salad baby!

I get chicken soup, that I add shredded chicken and tiny pasta to and make my wife happy...

I also get the stock/broth that I can use to make Polenta, Risotto, or my famous Menudo...

This is one week of good eatin'!
    ...and, it's been a while... thanks!

;c

5. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I keep some ready mix around for when I run low or out of my stock. I usually freeze the bones until I get 5 chickens then make my stock in a 10 gal pot.

6. moeman

moeman

I think having a lot of browned bones makes for the best tasting stock. I use a lot of mushrooms as well as the normal veggies.

I like to cook the bottom of the pot into demiglase adding wine and fresh herbs and cooking until thick. Strain by pushing thru mesh and refridgerating that for a nice addition to sauces.

7. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I make my own stock as well, Chicken and Beef.

I like the post above, like to bake and brown the beef bones before I make the stock.

I also like to roast a chicken, sometimes, before I make stock with it, not always.

Can't beat homemade, no brainer stock. Freezes great!

8. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Chicken, beef (use some oxtails), veal, game (deer), and duck stock are the ones I make on a regular basis. I usually reduce the veal stock to a demi-glace and freeze it in ice cube trays-->makes a wonderful pan sauce. I always brown the bones and I make all of my stocks in a PRESSURE COOKER! Takes only ~30 minutes per batch and extracts maximum flavor from the bones, etc. Try the pressure cooker method, it will not disappoint.

9. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

you guys inpsired me to make my own chicken broth. i always just buy the chicken stock from the store. even though i buy the reduced sodium, i'm still shocking the amount of it has!! yickes! but now i have a question. hope you don't mind. i filled up my 18 quart stock pot about 3/4 or a little more full and threw in a whole chicken. added some celery, carrots, parsley, garlic and peppercorns. how long should i let it cook for? can you cook it too long? i'd think the longer the better but i'm a newbie so i could be wrong.

thanks.

:)

10. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I think 2 hours is enough for chicken stock, but you can go longer if you want. The longer it simmers, the more water will boil off, so the stock will become richer, the longer you cook it.

11. Jaegergirl

i cooked it for several hours last night so i'm sure it's done. the only thing is i cooked it with the lid on. hope that ok. next time i'd keep the lid off though.

thanks for the reply. :)

12. Romadoc

Romadoc

Garweh is correct. A pressure cooker is the way to go. I've one that I've been using for more than 30 years..an 8 liter model,bought when I lived in Italy, along with a newer 6 qt model. They save an awful lot of time and can be used as a normal pot if required.

13. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Jaegergirl:

An 18 qt stockpot 3/4 full of H2O with one chicken will lead to a very watery stock. I would strain the liquid and reduce it to about 2 to 3 quarts, this is about the right amount of liquid for 1 chicken. The best way to make chicken stock is to use a mixture of backs and wings (when you cut up chicken, save and freeze the backs and wings, when you get about 3 lbs, time to make stock). I like to brown the backs and wings before I add carrot, onion, celery, bay leaf, peppercorns, and garlic. Add enough H2Oto COVER(usually 5 to 6 quarts) and allow to simmer for 3 to 4 hours. Strain the stock, chill till the fat solidifies, remove the fat and use in your favorite recipes. Use a similar procedure for the pressure cooker, but only need to cook at pressure for 30 minutes.

14. Jaegergirl

thanks for the tips. i'll have to try that the next time. you see, my husband forgot to put what i made in the fridge (he took a vacation day and was home and i didn't time to put it away before i went to work so i asked him to) so it sat in a 70 degree house all night and all day (burner turned off) and i didn't think it would be good to use it. didn't want to chance us all getting sick. so i threw it out. needless to say, i was quite bummed.

i'll definately try the back and wings next time. i usually give the backs to my dog (he loves them raw) but i'll have to start saving them. :)

15. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Has anyone found, or ever used a fish stock from a can, like you buy chicken or beef stock?

If so, was it any good?

16. Garweh

Garweh CLM

Str8shootr:

I have tried the "fruits de mer" by More Than Gourmet. Nice seafood stock; it is expensive (~$26/pound), but makes alot and worth the price considering what a PITA making a good fish fumet is. I have also used the lobster base by Better than Bouillon. Has good lobster flavor and is available in many supermarkets for ~$5/jar.

17. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Thanks for the comeback Garweh