close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

okay let's talk deli meats and sandwichs

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by noway, Oct 13, 2004.

1. noway

noway

What's your favorite cuts of deli meats?

I myself was raised on brisket and pastrami but later on start eating more cornbeef. My idea sandwich would be 50/50 of cornbeef with brisket or pastrami with 2 layers of provolone and light mustard on jewish rye. If provolone is not available any good swiss is okay.

My favorite deli for sandwichs has to be hands down Stage in NYC with the Alec Baldwin or Conan sandwich or Manny's in Chicago for their brisket when they have it if not the pastrami is good, slightly greasy but nice.

Give me about a lb of meat and some time and I would finish that sandwich in no time short.
    ;c

2. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I like Boar's Head Deli Meat--the Pepper Ham and the Cajun Turkey or Salsalito Turkey. I also like their Cappy Ham.

I can make one heck of a sandwich out of this stuff on a hogie roll with hogie sauce.

3. nickg

nickg

a great deli sandwich is hard to beat. i've had some tremendous ones at the Carnegie Deli in NY.

but any good deli is worth it's weight in gold, though not all delis are good. just slappin' meat on bread don't necessarily make it a good sandwich!!

4. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

IMHO the best sandwiches are made from your home-made leftovers.
    Turkey, chicken, steak, corned beef...being my favorites. ;)

5. noway

noway

{i've had some tremendous ones at the Carnegie Deli in NY.
    }

Go a few block over to stage and trys theirs choices. They also serve their limited choices of beers in a Glass vrs a "Plastic Mug" that you get at Carneige. BUT you can't beat Carneige Hall Deli New York style cheese cakes. A sml slice weighs about 3lbs and I'm not lying. ( or at least it feels like 3lbs ) ;)

btw, Their Woddy Allen sandwich are a killer. I have yet to finish one. I always joked before the towers came crashing down that one stack of their WoodyAllen was as tall as the WTC. ;)

It's quite a feat to just finish one. I actually skipped breakfast/lunch just to have enough room to attempt this feat once. ;c

6. thaclient

thaclient aequitas

I'm with noway... ;f

There's nothing like a hot Pastrami/Cornbeef with real deli mustard on rye. Stage and Carnegie are both good. I have a great memory of walking thru the bitter cold thru the bright lights of Times Square and going to Stage Door, getting some potato pancakes and pastrami with my girlfriend (it was her first time seeing times square). Good times. Anyway if you want to try something a little more low key then check out Sarge's Deli. They do a big catering business, but they are the same quality as the other two, and not as overpriced.

As for other than that I'm pretty open to anything. Down here I like stopping for Cuban sandwiches at the windows (noway knows what I'm talking about), boarshead ham & cheeses, tuna salad on fresh bread, and even leftovers (open faced turkey, yumm ;f).

7. Tvov

Tvov

Very much agree.

My local grocery store carries "rosemary baked ham", which has an excellent flavor.

The local deli near me (Schoolhouse Deli), makes excellent grinders. Nothing too fancy, but just the right amount of meat, lettuce, cheese, etc.

8. JWP

JWP

wilmington de, cassapula's for italian subs lb of meat/cheese and 3.75

9. noway

noway

{ Down here I like stopping for Cuban sandwiches at the windows (noway knows what I'm talking about),}

Yeap "Pan Con Lecho" ( bread with pork for you non-spanish speakers aka a cuban pork sandwich) 17th ave and about 30st is the place to go for a good sandwich or anywhere along South Beach or 8th street areas. A lot of bread and meat and and it pretty much tasty, follow by your choice of beverage.

Pollo Frito sandwich that cooked up in some of the neighborhoods are nice to, but nothing beats a good Corn Beef w/Pastrami or Beef Brisket. Now that's a meal I could kill for. ;f

10. thaclient

thaclient aequitas

"but nothing beats a good Corn Beef w/Pastrami or Beef Brisket. Now that's a meal I could kill for. ;f"

You can say that again brother ;f. Don't forget sour pickles!

I'm off of Bird Rd, pretty close to 8th, so we've got a decent selection of good Cuban sandwiches. On the other hand, the good deli's are sparse, so you gotta make sacrifices.

In addition, how about good Italian meats (prosciutto is my fave). That's another great thing about NYC, the good Italian deli's.

On a semi-related note, did anyone see that the family of the Earl of Sandwich opened a restaurant in Disney? Had I not moved down here I might have had to check it out. I'm wondering how overpriced it is though, since it is inside WDW... might be interesting.

11. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Hey you Miami guys...
    Are you hip to "The Pastrami Club" a 1/2 hour away in the Lauderhill section of Fort Lauderdale?
    On University near Commercial...

It's a great deli, with juicy piled-high deli sandwiches and stuff...
    I worked up the street for 3 years and ate there almost every day...

They have half pickled pickles on the table, and I lived on "Corned Beef Specials" or "Pastrami Specials"...
    ya know, cole slaw and 1000 Island dressing on the sandwich...

Brisket and Swiss... Tongue and Swiss...

Matzoh Ball soup... Everything is huge and perfect...

Next month, on the 4th, I'll find myself at the Miami airport and I'll be driving back to Tampa alone...

Road food baby!
    Feastage!

;c

12. thaclient

thaclient aequitas

Mild Bill:

You are my new hero! I'm going to have to go check out this place. I've been starved for good deli's around here (that aren't stupidly overpriced). I mean I know about the Rascal House, but who needs the headaches of dealing with the obnoxious old people (I grew up in Palm Beach County, I've put in my time ;g). When I'm at my parents house in PB county there are a few around, but I didn't know about any down this far. There's been so many times when I've been talking to my girlfriend and the old "hey, I wish we had a good deli came up." I don't mind driving a bit to get good deli food. Besides, I think there is a lauderhill exit right off the turnpike on university. There's a black and white with your name on it, if this place is as good as you say ;).

Try not to put on too many pounds eating your way up the coast. You already live too close to one of my favorite restaurants ever: Bern's.:drool: ... Oh man, if I only had a million bucks I'd eat there all the time. Thanks again, and I'll report back ;Y

13. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

Mortadella with provolone. All I need to say............

14. General Sherman

General Sherman

If you want the corned beef of the Carnegie Deli in NY, and happen to be in Atlanta, go to Joey D's which flies in the beef everyday from the Carnegie Deli.
    They even have the Carnegie mustard to go with it. Piled high and enough for two. Served with a pickle slice.

Joey D's is located north of Perimeter Mall about a block west. They have a nice selection of wines and probably the largest choice of liquid refreshments in the city.

It is based on Joey D'Augustinos of New Orleans and have a combination of New Orleans, New York and Italian foods.

Probably the best steaks in a restaurant in Atlanta.

15. Screech

Screech

Big G's deli in Winslow Maine! 100's of sandwiches on the menu. My favorite is the Big G Classic. Homemade bread, pastrami, ham, pepperoni, extra bacon, swiss cheese, mayo, dill pickle, hot mustard, and warmed up till the cheese is melted!!

16. noway

noway

{Are you hip to "The Pastrami Club" a 1/2 hour away in the Lauderhill section of Fort Lauderdale?
    On University near Commercial...
    }

if you are talking about the university and 50st ( IIRC) and near Vega strip club, then yes.

I tried a sandwich from them like 3 years ago while do some work over in the area. Good sandwich but piss poor server and service. I order a pastrami on rye to go and they made the sandwich and placed it behind some bags on the counter and never even told me. I was sitting at the tables in front of their counter thinking they where just plain slow and come to find out the meal was done like 8 mins ago. Then I received the same thing when I whent up front to pay. Pretty much their actions told me not tio come back.

Now a good deli shop that in these parts, is a place I ran across in Hollywood on Sherdian. I don't know the crossroad but it is west bound on sheridan and about 2 miles before you get to 441/SR7. It near the plaza that houses the office max /depot ( I froget which one ). And it faces East and towards sheridan.

They have the right cuts of meats, fresh home made breads and their pickles are crisp and just right, not to vinegary. I can't think of the name but it one of the better deli in this area. I also would avoid any of the fake wanna bees deli shops in downtown Miami on Brickell or downtown Fort Lauderdale.

17. goldflounder

goldflounder death ray

I'm partial to dry salami with swiss and horseradish, mayo and deli mustard, on rye. Pickled pepporchini peppers on the side, or a crisp dill pickle.

Most everything listed above sounds delicious as well.

Another favorite, though I'm not sure if it falls into the cold cuts/deli meats category, is the Vietnamise sandwich on French bread. You can get 'em at most Vietnamise delis or resturaunts for about $2, a steal of a deal. They have bbq pork and assorted veggies, and I usually like to put hot sauce and hoisin sauce on 'em. My mouth is beginning to water... :drool:

18. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Try the "Black Angus Roast Beef" at your Wal-Mart Deli. We get it shaved (or chipped in the north) paper thin. Everybody I have made a samich for loves this stuff.

Hoagie bun
    Lettuce
    'maters
    Onions
    Pickles
    Spicy deli mustard
    Oil & vinegar
    Salt & pepper

Bob's Jalepeno chips on the side.

Think I will go make me one now.

19. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I grew up on sausage sandwiches - and I mean sausage, not revolting chemical refuse like Hillshire et al. In my opinion all one needs for a spectacular sandwich is a high quality sausage (freshly made german/polish/italian stuff that is not meant to be kept indefinitely because its ingredients do not read like a list of a Chemist's Desk Reference) and fresh-baked bread, with real crust, not the rubbery foam ala "wonder" bread (the only wonder is why it is called bread).

Sorry about the rant. I steam when I think of the criminal quality of most deli meats and sausages sold today, thanks primarily to lawyers and FDA.

20. MGomez81

MGomez81 .

Grew up partially in Spain, Mortadella is my absolute favorite sandwich meat.

I haven't had one in a while.

Thanks for the reminder!

Try a Mortadella and thinly-sliced Havarti! Yummmm. Tomorrow that is what I'm getting for lunch.