Okay ... I Just Don't Get Open Carry, Okay?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Lockback, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

I don't get open carry.
    I don't get the whole movement.
    As a long-time gun fan, I had to wait decades for my state (Ohio) to finally pass concealed carry about 6 years ago. Thank Gawd. As most of you know, the whole CCW has swept the country like a tidal wave, something I never would have predicted even a decade ago.
    We've fought a lot of battles ... and won.
    And now comes the this whole Open Carry deal.
    And I'd like the proponents of it to explain to me what is gained from openly carrying their firearms?
    It seems to me to be an aggressive, unnecessarily provocative act. I much prefer being quietly armed. I don't need to show off. I don't need everybody to know I carry a gun. It's only for me to know ... and the Bad Guy if he puts me in mortal danger.
    When you walk into a store or attend a rally or go anywhere with a firearms in plain sight, it seems to me you're only provoking people who otherwise believe in a citizen's right to defend themselves into walking the tightrope, into being put in a position where they simply can't agree with such a blatant show of hardware.
    I want the Good Guys to be armed. I want the Bad Guys to be defeated. And I don't see how Open Carry helps gunowners in any way.
    I've got my flame suit on.
    Have at it, boys. :supergrin:

2. varget

varget

One thing that comes to mind is that if the wind blows and my shirt moves and exposes my pistol then I don't have to worry about being harrassed about "brandishing" or violating the "concealed" part of the law.
    The other thing is that if folks get used to seeing firearms openly displayed then eventually they might come to realize that it is no big deal and that they can stop fainting and hollering every time they see one.
    Just a couple of things off the top of my head. I am sure others will come along and add to this.
    Best, Dave

3. F350

F350

I don't know either; I mean why would anyone openly go to the polls and vote......

4. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Ummmmm, I'm not getting that comparison. :shocked::whistling:

5. Bigpoppie50

Bigpoppie50

Lockback, I am with you on this one. Here in NC is why I took my "Concealed Carry" class because I don't want to walk around openly showinq off my firearm, just like I don't want to walk around openly showing how much money I have in the bank or any other personal matter. Alot of people and I said alot not all people that want to open carry feel empowerment by letting other people see that they have a gun in their possession.

6. RCP

RCP

So then don't open carry. Personally, I don't believe it should be up to the goverment, you or I to dictate to responsible law abiding citizens whether they carry open or concealed. There are plenty of people who if they had it their way would make sure we didn't carry at all, we should be united in defending the right to carry not bickering amongst ourselves over the method we do so. :wavey:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  7. G19aps

G19aps

I think that particularly applies where concealed carry is allowed but open carry is chosen (in urban areas). I know if I had a farm or was out hunting I'd prefer open carry.

And unfortunately at the current rate of people open carrying, the antigunners that are so afraid of guns are never going to "get used" to seeing guns on people's hips.

8. RCP

RCP

Or they may live in a place where it get's pretty hot and uncomfortable to conceal all the time like Texas or Florida. Or maybe they like to wear clothes that actually fit them instead of having to buy pants 1-2" bigger in the waist, or buy shirts 2 sizes bigger than what fits, or wear a goofy looking vest, or are unable to tuck in their shirt to accomodate concealing a firearm. There are lots of reasons I can think when I would prefer to open carry and plenty of times I would still choose to conceal. I believe that choice should be mine and mine alone to make.

9. RCP

RCP

I guess I don't understand how so many people who are supposed to be pro 2nd Amendment and therefore assumingly pro-Constitution think they should be able to tell other law abiding citizens what they can and can't do in accordance to their personal opinions. :dunno:

10. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Its just another freedom people don't want to lose. Theres no practical reason for it, really. But in the gun debate, you can't budge an inch, cuz then they'll try for the circumference of the globe.

11. walkin man

walkin man

I have listened to all the arguments and they have merit.

My feeling is just this. Open carry is just saying "shoot me first" if there is a criminal act going on and an open carrier on scene.

Now concealed carry is, they will only know I have a gun when they see the muzzle flash.
    Yeah it is uncomfortable to conceal and sometimes impractical as well. However carrying a weapon is a responsibility and you can accept it or not. Personally, I'll keep mine hidden.

walkin man

12. Milezenji

Milezenji

I feel uncomfortable OC'ing. Attention is drawn to me when I do it, and I am the introverted type. I do appreciate that others OC, because it helps to inform the populace. People tend to get curious when they see someone with a pistol on their hip and ask about handguns and if it is hard to get a CCW license.

On the other hand,

I have had the police called on me at McDonalds when OC'ing. The officer asked to see my license and apologized for inconveniencing me. He said "I tried to tell the manager that it is not against the law to carry a handgun if you have a license, but she insisted that I check to make sure you are licensed." She didn't even know it was legal to carry a pistol! Thanks to me, all the employees at the Oakland Mickey D's now know that it is legal to OC.

A lady at Walgreens looked like she deficated her pants when she saw my pistol. I was in line behind her and she kept looking back at me, checking to see where my hands were. I just smiled at her and nodded as to say "hi". A GOOD OC'er would have struck up a conversation and let her know that it is legal and good for everyone if the "good guys" are armed, but it just isn't my personality type.

Thank you to everyone that does OC, but for me it will stay hidden.

13. Ersatz

Ersatz

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think the majority of proponents of open carry view it as a Second Amendment struggle. It's not about open carrying because it's a good idea, it's about being able to open carry because a government is telling them they can't.

14. Adjuster

Adjuster

If I am your everyday bad guy I am not going to look at the guy/girl with a .45 on their hip as a possible target.

Some people are under the belief that open carry would make you a more likely first target to a bad guy. Total crap. No bank robber/7-11 robber is going to go anywhere near anyone or consider robbing any establishment with gun toting customers.

Accidentally exposing your concealed weapon argument = total crap. The law in most states reads that you must have intent to intimidate or persuade before you can be charged with exposing or brandishing your weapon. The simple fact your shirt lifts up is not going to get you a charge. Granted it will most likely get you in a conversation with the police when the little old lady that sees your gun screams in the grocery store.

Just my opinions. I could care less either way if open carry passes in Florida or not. But if it did pass I would consider the opportunity to open carry in specific situations.

15. hubbard

hubbard

Geesh! Everyone get over it. Do it or don't do it, your choice if legal.

16. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

I just don't think the Open Carry movement is helpful to gun owners.
    I predict it will backfire on the whole gun movement. As I said, I think it's unnecessarily provocative. I liken it to unzipping your pants and waving your d**k around.
    Sorry. Just my view.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You means with a secret ballot? The same reason smart people with the right to carry a gun keep that out of sight as well.

18. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker SuperOwner

Freedom, something we have not had in so long people cannot recognize it when it is proposed.

19. RCP

RCP

No apology neccessary, thats your view and I respect that. I just don't believe your view (or the view of others for that matter) should dictate to anyone who can legally carry a firearm how they must do so. :wavey:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
  20. JoeCitizen

JoeCitizen

Concealed carry meets both tenants of the second ammendment. To Keep (I got to buy it) and Bear (I have it on me) arms. Problem solved. A huge cross section of the population do not want to feel as though they live in an armed militia camp. I believe they are entitled to that view and frankly, I agree with them. Those very people want to live and let live. As long as those of us that carry mind our P&Q's they stay calm. We shove this whole open carry thing down their throats they may rise up and take it all away. Concealed carry does not infringe on our constitutional right one tiny bit. It may be your preference to open carry but concealed carry meets both tenants of the 2A.