Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 685 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And anyone who says otherwise is not a thinking person.

Having a gun without a round chambered helps me (compared to not having a gun) when:

I’m being followed in my car
I break down
I arrive home to check on my kids and the front door is open
I’m in the back of the store and I hear a commotion in the front of the store

I can literally think of hundreds of scenarios where carrying without a round chambered, perhaps in my pocket without a holster even, provides exceptional advantages compared to not carrying anything at all.

So please, can we drop the gunboard/gunwriter nonsense that if you aren’t going to carry with a round chambered you might as well not carry at all???

·
Anti-Federalist
23,468 Posts
Just become familiar with your firearm and you'll build up the confidence to carry it ready for use. There's really no good reason to carry without a round in the chamber. There is zero advantage and having the advantage is part of the reason why we carry.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone, I do carry my gun with a round chambered. Often it’s a small 380 in a pocket holster. Sometimes it’s a compact 9mm. Occasionally it has been a 5” 45 1911. But an unloaded gun is better than no gun, and a gun without a round in the chamber is better than a gun with no ammo.

The post was in response to the nonsense we all see on too many boards/threads about how if you don’t carry with a round chambered you might as well not carry at all. When we think about it, it’s clear though that there are MANY situations where carrying without a round chambered is better than having no gun, and many situations (like the arriving home, or breaking down in the car) where there’s no difference between initially chambered and unchambered.

Yes, we might urge others that there are situations they might encounter where un/chambered is critical, but it’s foolishness to say “unchambered, might as well not carry” or “you won’t have time to chamber a round” (except in the situations I named above and many others….). We aren’t Democrats—no need to parrot lines without thinking if they are actually true or not!

·
Anti-Federalist
23,468 Posts
Everyone, I do carry my gun with a round chambered. Often it’s a small 380 in a pocket holster. Sometimes it’s a compact 9mm. Occasionally it has been a 5” 45 1911. But an unloaded gun is better than no gun, and a gun without a round in the chamber is better than a gun with no ammo.

The post was in response to the nonsense we all see on too many boards/threads about how if you don’t carry with a round chambered you might as well not carry at all. When we think about it, it’s clear though that there are MANY situations where carrying without a round chambered is better than having no gun, and many situations (like the arriving home, or breaking down in the car) where there’s no difference between initially chambered and unchambered.

Yes, we might urge others that there are situations they might encounter where un/chambered is critical, but it’s foolishness to say “unchambered, might as well not carry” or “you won’t have time to chamber a round” (except in the situations I named above and many others….). We aren’t Democrats—no need to parrot lines without thinking if they are actually true or not!
Some people will never be confident enough to carry a loaded firearm. That speaks to their competence as well IMO.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In your scenarios, you imagine that you have enough time to rack the slide.

When you are being followed in your car, I guess you will have to take both hands off the wheel to rack the slide.

Hope nobody comes running out of the open door or to the back of the store when you are racking the slide.

None of the scenarios mentioned exclude carrying with a round in the chamber.

Is the only reason not to have a round in the chamber fear? You can always get a fire arm with a manual safety.

·
Previously Jisbell40
776 Posts
Worked a homicide a few years ago where the victim was shot multiple times in the chest. His chamber was empty and he had a full mag behind it. Needless to say not having a cofounder in the chamber contributed to him coming in second.

·
Southern Backwater Mafia & President-Elect
6,935 Posts
I can think of many scenarios where you’re not going to have two hands or the time to manipulate the firearm to get it loaded. Everything should be committed to muscle memory so that you at least would stand a chance. If you don’t have at least that you may as well carry a cinderblock for self defense. If you don’t have the confidence or the skill for what you carry get same professional training and practice practice practice

If you find yourself in a situation where you absolutely need it the last thing you need to be doing is fumbling with the slide trying to get it to chamber a round in a very high stress situation

·
Registered
5,952 Posts

Having a gun without a round chambered helps me (compared to not having a gun) when:

I break down

I can literally think of hundreds of scenarios where carrying without a round chambered, perhaps in my pocket without a holster even, provides exceptional advantages compared to not carrying anything at all.

So please, can we drop the gunboard/gunwriter nonsense that if you aren’t going to carry with a round chambered you might as well not carry at all???
I agree and well stated.

·
NRA Life Member
67,780 Posts

I break down

You are correct. Even having a completely unloaded gun is better than no gun at all. People who argue that carrying without a round chambered is the same as having no gun are making a ridiculous argument . . . except in those circumstances where you really do need to draw and fire fast, in which case they are correct. I would never carry a gun without a round chambered, except when the Army tells me I have to. However I'd rather be carrying one without a round chambered than not carrying one at all.

I do recognize, however, that civilians carrying guns for self-defense don't draw them until they see a deadly force threat present itself. At that point, the odds of needing to draw and fire fast are pretty high and we see that in the news time after time. So, to argue that it is alright to carry with an empty chamber and you will be able to chamber a round when you need to is just about as ridiculous as "carrying without a round chambered is the same as having no gun."

Having thought this out as I write, I'd say carrying with an empty chamber is better than not having a gun about half the time. The other half of the time, it is literally as bad as not having a gun, because the reality of armed self-defense means you don't have time to draw and chamber a round.

Still 50% protected is better than 0% protected.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Or, take a class, get familiar with your gun, dont be scared of it, learn that a holstered firearm never goes off, ever. And just carry it properly.

Watch Active Self Protection on YouTube. He literally has a few videos of people that are now dead, because they carried a gun with no round in the chamber.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

I break down

Sure it is. Sometimes when I carry a striker fired gun without a holster, I will leave it unchambered.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,879 Posts
I'll say the same thing here that I did in the other empty chamber thread...

In these types of threads I usually hear the same things;

• empty chamber carry will get you killed
  • empty chamber carry is slow
  • empty chamber carry is for morons
  • empty chamber carry is for those that feel unsafe with their gun
  • yada yada
Whenever I see these types of statements I instantly know the person is untrained in this method of carry and simply parroting what other untrained people have 'stated'. That isn't said to be harsh, simply that folks that are untrained in the methodology really shouldn't be trying to comment on something they know little to nothing about except from gun boards.

The truth is that you can draw from concealment, chamber a round and fire accurately on target in less than one second if you are properly trained. It adds a negligible amount of time to the draw over chambered carry that is insignificant in the real world. Yes, you can be fighting off an attacker using H2H skills and still draw, chamber and fire. Yes, you can pick up a fallen partner in a fireman's carry. zig-zag backwards running to get him to safety while drawing from concealment, chambering off your belt and engaging multiple targets live fire. Ye, professionals can and do carry this way in hostile environments.

So the bottom line is if you are untrained in the method or uncomfortable with the concept then simply carry with one in the chamber. But also don't presume to tell those that can something you really aren't qualified to comment on. Again. I don't mean to sound harsh, and someone will probably get butt hurt over my comments but so be it. Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations".

Those that can't or won't should refrain from advising those that can or will.

·
Grip n Rip!
135 Posts
Worked a homicide a few years ago where the victim was shot multiple times in the chest. His chamber was empty and he had a full mag behind it. Needless to say not having a cofounder in the chamber contributed to him coming in second.
Was his side arm even pulled? or still holstered in condition 3?

I carry with one in the pipe. Complete confidence in my ccw and my OWN practices. BUT, I have young kids at home, so my biggest fear is coming home one day and not locking it away or removing the chambered round. This worry almost makes me carry without a round chambered. For years it worked out to leave my CCW on top of a tall armoir dresser in my bed room, but 6 and 8 year old kids start to figure things out. They get up on the bed and play like all kids. From this new vantage point they may see something interesting up there on the dresser. Don't get me wrong they are very well versed and trained in gun safety. All guns are loaded all the time! And they DO NOT touch ANY gun without mom or dad there. No exception. And they are great kids too. But I bet a lot of us know how boys act when they have a friend over. They have to show them the coolest things they know. They have to show off. Kids can behave so well when they are being watched. But suppose you step outside to grab the mail and end up saying hello to a neighbor in addition. That's plenty of time for mischief to happen. Again, my kids are wonderful and trustworthy and rule followers, but you can never assume nothing bad will happen.That's why I either remove the chambered round and still "hide it" or, I lock it in the safe every single time I come home, and get it out every single time I leave the house. Too many scenarios where it can be dangerous to have a round chambered at MY home. We can "what if?" EVERYTHING in life to death. There's one of mine.

Another is what if I need it quickly while at home?

1 - 20 of 685 Posts