close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Okay, go easy on me guys...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Catbird, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I AM NOT where a lot of you are regarding your knowledge of computers.

Here's the deal:
    I've had my Gateway laptop since Jan. '01 and it's basically been satisfactory for my "lightweight" needs (e-mail, word processing, web browsing, etc). My fan motor has been humming for a while and I can feel a very slight vibration in the keypad/base area. I've tried to blow any dust(bunnies) out with a can of compressed air. NO go. I want to do something before it overheats and dies. Gateway wants $300 to fix it. Noway Gateway!

I want to buy a new computer for my simple needs. I went to Best Buy and looked at their desktops (don't need a laptop now). They had an e-machines brand computer in the ~$500 range which seems like it would be okay for me. Almost anything is a step up from what I have now. My laptop only has a 10 gig hard drive and I'm only consuming 5 in all these years. Also, it can only read CDs and DVDs.

I'm looking at the e-machines computer listed in Best Buy's current sale flyer page 5. I realize that the e-machines brand may not be sophisticated enough for the techies, but it may be okay for me.

Give me your honest opinions/recommendations, please.

2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I just got off the telephone with a buddy’s son who works in the computer department at Best Buy. He said that e-machines are returned more then any other brand that they sell. He suggested that you go to the nearest Best Buy and look in their repair shop … at his location he said that there were 14 computers in for various problems and that 9 of them were e-machines.

3. silky

silky

My wife has had an e-machines desktop for so long it's still running W98. I think it was all of $350 when we bought it. It crashes four times a year. She refuses to update anything. My fancy Sony Vaio laptop running completely up-to-date XP has improved to the point that it only crashes four times a day. I'd buy another e-machines.

4. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

take the computer apart, find the model number of the fan, order a new one, fan costs less than $10

5. calestus

calestus

Whats the model number on your laptop? I can look up the part number for you hopefully. Another option is just calling gateway again and ordering the part. There is no reason they shouldnt be able to send you the part. I work on dell laptops occasionally and i never have a problem ordering random parts. They might give you the if you open this it will void your warrenty...blah blah blah speech, but in your case it doesnt matter. I would avoid an emachine and go with something from dell. Although i don't like dell either.

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I have 2 Dells, a lap top and a desk top and I love both. I can't say I have had any experience with the E-Machine but I would stay away from "Best Buy" like the plague. Their reputation isso poor it's off the charts here in my area. The two places I will NEVER make any computer purchase is "Best Buy" and "Comp USA". You can get a nice Dell direct from their web site for about the same price you quote for the E-Machine. It's nothing fancy but a good basic computer.

7. modgun

modgun CLM

You dont need a new computer. If you are happy with the old one just keep it and fix it.
    You need a new fan.
    Either the bearings are going bad or one of the ribs, or blades has broken.
    Open up the machine find the fan and get the number, then buy a new one, replace it.

It seems very daunting if you arent that experienced with computers.

It is not.

Can you change the oil in your car?
    If so you can change the fan.

8. alex954

alex954

get the laptop model so we can find out how muhch is to replace the fan
    but if you still wanna buy a new computer for 500 you can get a nice dell that fills your needs

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Any local shop ought to be able to give your Gateway a 'Spring Cleaning', after which you will probably not need any kind of upgrade if your needs are currently being met by that laptop.

The E-Machine laptops are a little better than their desktops, for the most part, but I'd still go with a Dell Inspiron if you are really the non-techie type.

Just make sure you don't get the cheapest of the cheap models--a Celeron is a nasty CPU; take it from me, you don't want one. Upgrade a little from the base model, or get the $1200 model outright as it comes with a better battery, a faster CPU and better warrranty service.

Good luck!

10. NGWT

NGWT

11. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

WOW, thank you all for your great responses!

modgun commented:
    Yes, I do. Being an old guy, I've probably been doing it longer than many of you have been alive. ^4

I'm not usually very timid about taking things apart and fixing (trying :)) them. My laptop is no exception. A few days ago, I turned it over and removed all of the screws (about 10 or 12) holding the upper and lower base halves together. There was one small area that refused to separate; there must be 1 small internal clip of some sort that needs to be released, but I can't see it. I became afraid of breaking the plastic base housing (chasis ?) so I ended up by putting it all back together again.

I DID get a phone number of a company that does sell replacement fans for my laptop. The technician told me on the phone that the part comes with a heatsink included. When I asked if this fan part had to soldered in, he said "yes". YIKES! I was thinking that this would have been a "plug-in" part. While I am confident in my "handy homeowner" soldering skills, I don't think I'm up to performing surgery on my computer.

Anyway, here's the information some of you asked for:
    My laptop is a Gateway Solo 5300

I hope someone can help me. Thanks again.

12. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Avoid emachines. They are just not very well made or reliable. If you watch on the internet or even Best Buy you can find deals on all of the major brands for close to teh emachine price.

I was shopping for a desktop and went into Best Buy. They had a nice sale going on their HP's. I noticed one of the sale computers was already sold out and asked the manager if I could buy the floor model. Long story short: they sold it to me for an additional 30% off, still gave me the mail in rebate and they took it, totally wiped the hard drive, reformated and reloaded all the sofware and OS!

So, if you time it right, you can get a deal on a much better machine.

13. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Didn't Gateway recently buy e-machines?

When I went to Best Buy last week, I also saw a Gateway desktop system for $750 or so. It had two DVD R/W bays (movie copies ?), 64-bit, hyperthreading, etc. I didn't really think I needed all those features at the time. Maybe I should reconsider??????

14. alex954

alex954

if oyur pocket wont hurt ot invest 750 on a computer then go fo rit
    its not like oyu wont need all those features , you wont have to upgrade oyur new system for a long time. You might also want to check Fry's if theres 1 near you oyull get better deals on computers. Best Buys is a good store but thye overpirce their computers IMHO

15. lomfs24

lomfs24

I think, on your computer, there are little tabs between some of the keys at the bottom of your keyboard that you have to stick a toothpick or something small between the keys to slide those little tabs up. Then you just lift your keyboard out and you should be able to get to the screws that are still holding your computer together.
    If you can attach a picture of the whole top you your keyboard I may be able to show you where the "take down" points are for the top of your laptop.

16. lomfs24

lomfs24

17. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

My friend has an e-machines and seems to love it. However, a lady I worked for had one for her daughter. I turned it on one time and thought it was going to explode. The thing is so freakin' loud it's unbelievable. I'm used to my Dell which is pretty dang quiet. I thought my dad's Gateway was excessively noisy until I heard the e-machines.

HP seems to have a good price-to-quality ratio going. Some people will bash them, but my girlfriend's laptop has been very nice. They may not be the best for heavy-duty applications, but email, word processing, internet browsing, and the like are no problem.

18. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

I used to work for a gateway repair location before they shut them all down, and build my own comps. Where are you at in VA? I'll be in the tidewater area next week, and if you're close enough I can take a look and maybe do the repair for you.

19. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

That would be fantastic! The only problem is my location is about 75 miles north of Richmond and 50 miles south of D.C. I would love to hook up with you though.

BTW, my Gateway laptop's fan has completely quit now. The fan blades will turn manually if I give them a shot of compressed air (not seized up) but the motor doesn't run by itself at all. What really seems bizarre to me is that it doesn't feel like it's getting hot at all...just a little bit warm - just a tad over room temperature - nothing that would concern me. ^8