Ok, wrong is wrong

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Dirty bird, Jun 5, 2020.

1. g30nut

g30nut

Yep, I have a 73 year old father in law that's full grown man. I'm 47 and in pretty good shape but I'd be very careful if I had to deal with him.

2. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

3. Left wing rioting created all these situations and bears the true responsibility. Mistakes happen in war, but someone usually starts the war. Our society needs to remember very soon that someone needs to finish it, too.

nrajeff and rock_castle like this.

3. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

I would have to look up what had happened previously in that city to really have an opinion.

The video makes it clear that it was not a hard shove. the actions of the police force is political and I can't quantify what "the public" thinks. Certainly, there are enough people making a fuss for the police to think they have less to lose by getting rid of the guys than by sticking up for them. That doesn't mean they did anything wrong. If they have then I trust they will be charged and get their day in court because that would assault.

4. mrdann

mrdann

Yet, again, people who have never done the job, people who have no training, experience, or the related knowledge and wisdom that comes with training and experience, are telling cops "you're doing it wrong!!!"

And, yet, again those people offer no alternative. No solution. No better way. You don't think cops around the country...AROUND THE WORLD...are constantly trying to improve training, tactics, tools, and hiring? You don't think policing in America is BETTER than in the past? Every Chief, every Sheriff, every county, city, town, and state WAN'T the "secret answer" of "how to do policing best", but apparently only non-cops know that secret and they refuse to share it with us.

ironhead7544 and g30nut like this.
  5. mrdann

mrdann

1) You keep implying that the cops SHOULD BEHAVE differently because they are being recorded. Please STOP. Professionals do "accepted best practice" whether being watched or not.

2) You still haven't answered, "What should they have done?" If dispersal orders were given, best practices were followed, and THE LAW was being enforced, should the cops simply NOT enforce the law for some people? Does the law apply differently to different people? At what age is one exempt from obeying the law? Again, if YOU were lawfully ordered to remove people from an area, and they simply refused to leave, what would you do?

g30nut and ranger1968 like this.
  6. WillyM

WillyM

7. mrdann

mrdann

So...we shouldn't HAVE laws in America, or we shouldn't ENFORCE laws in America?

g30nut, K. Foster and Sharkey like this.
  8. mrdann

mrdann

OHHHHH......kaaaaaay, then why is it so hard to understand that THESE COPS, were doing exactly THAT? They were enforcing the LAWS, written by the representatives, who were elected by the people, and reviewed by the court. You've got all three branches of government "of the people, by the people, for the people", working together for the common good, and along comes somebody that jusssssssst doesn't feel like obeying the law. What would you do, in your perfect world, when people refuse to obey the law?

g30nut and K. Foster like this.
  9. mrdann

mrdann

Oh good grief, why do I bother arguing with the willfully ignorant?

You ARE 100% correct, that a LEO does NOT make the law. But, very typically, a LEO will TELL YOU what the law is. At that point, refusing to obey the law because...you don't know it...you don't understand it....you don't like it...or you just don't feel "free" enough, issssss still breaking the law.

ironhead7544 and g30nut like this.
  10. nrajeff

nrajeff

Thanks. I am just trying to figure the situation(s) out before reaching a conclusion, so I like to see what other people on both sides of an issue think, and then think about it myself for a while.

Oh, and yes, I do believe that I understand private property, thanks for asking.

11. nrajeff

nrajeff

I tend to agree. If fact, I was thinking of the similarities to a war situation as well.

Grabbrass likes this.
  12. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

It wasn't my intention to make such an implication. I completely agree with you, they should be performing in a professional manner at all times, whether or not they're being recorded.
    I have answered, multiple times now. If they felt that the protester was violating a law or order, he should have been arrested not shoved to the ground.

As an aside, I also think the law should apply the same to everyone. If a random person shoved an elderly gentleman causing them to fall and suffer severe injury, they'd unquestionably be arrested.

badge315, hooligan74 and Dragoon44 like this.
  13. Animal Mother

Why would that matter? Should the police be reacting to the situation as it was in that moment or to a situation that took place days previously or on the other side of the city?
    They have been charged.

hooligan74 likes this.
  14. Animal Mother

The mindset that policing is a war is a major part of the problem.

hooligan74 likes this.
  15. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

You arrest them, and if they do not resist arrest you don't get to use unnecessary force against them.

Since when did shoving an elderly man become an acceptable substitute for a lawful arrest?

If he is violating the law, arrest him, cuff or zip tie him and pass him off to following officers. You don't get to simply assault them and move on.

That is why the dept. Has taken action against them and why they have now been charged with a crime.

16. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

How do you characterize the behavior of BLM and Antifa rioters over the last 8-9 days? Civil unrest?? It's a bit too late for that label.

g30nut and nrajeff like this.
  17. Animal Mother

I characterize the behavior of rioters as rioting. I characterize the behavior of the protesters as protesting.

badge315 and hooligan74 like this.
  18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Well your question caused me to wonder.

19. nrajeff

nrajeff

That is probably because it was ambiguous. Anyway, I have been following these heated debates in several threads, and I sometimes see valid points made by guys on both sides. So you may see that arguments from both sides will get "likes" from me. If enough points are made, eventually it seems like one side has a more convincing argument. Which is good, at least IMO.

20. hooligan74

hooligan74

OK, so "out past curfew" = "rioting". I saw the people on the sidewalk across the way and the protesters with signs. Can't say as I agree with that position, but your opinion is noted.

badge315 and Animal Mother like this.