close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ok whats the deal with dogs and bikes?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by noway, Mar 13, 2006.

1. noway

noway

Why is it that every small ankle bitter wants to chase a bike? I nearly ran over a yorkie this weekend after it decided to run after my bike and snip at the pedals. I wish it was in front of me so I could have left a Michelin tire imprint on it's rear-end ;)

2. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

My guess..... PREY DRIVE "It's running from me, so that means I have to chase it and possibly kill and eat it." I don't know for sure, but that's What I would assume.

;g

;8 ;I

3. GLOCK22SHOOTER

GLOCK22SHOOTER NOT A VICTIM

I was riding my bicycle last year in the park and a rotweiler was loose.When he saw me riding he started chasing me and I tried to outrun it.He ended up getting ahead of me and suddenly stopped,I ran right into him and flipped over the bars.The dog just started yelping and limped away and I picked up my bike and rode off as fast as I could.Scary as hell,I thought he was gonna come at me again.I'm glad it ended the way it did.

4. sy2k

sy2k

Prey Drive. Same reason a dog will chase you if you run from it.

5. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

.....And Cars..... And busses.....

;g

;8 ;I

6. Apocalypse_Now

Apocalypse_Now Molon Labe

You are correct. it's the same reason mailmen and UPS/Fedex people are targets.. they show up, the dog barks at them, then they "run away" (this is how the dog sees matters) ;)

7. Apocalypse_Now

Hard to outrun a healthy Rottie. I would estimate they can run from 30 to 40 miles an hour at top speed, depending on the build ;)

8. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

My new dog Bosco jumped up on the UPS man the other day. He didn't run from him though, and Bosco was just saying hello, and didn't bark at him. (Yes. We ARE working on the jumping problem. I mean after all, You can't let a 71 lbs dog jump on every new person he meets, now, can you?)

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

9. marley

marley 17-26-32

I ride often. I have yet to meet a dog that could run at 30 to 40mph. A run of a 1/4 mile at top speed is a long time for most dogs. Even greyhounds only run about a mile. I have had the hardest time out running beagles as they are born to chase deer. My computer on the bike says that about 25 mph is good enough for most dogs. It's not the speed but the angle. You don't want to hit a dog at any speed you will get hurt and then possibly bit. If they have to angle you must stop and speak harshly to them. They have always run home when I have done this. The next time they usually stop at the sound of my voice. Patrick

10. Apocalypse_Now

A fast human can make 22 + MPH

A grizzly bear can make 35 MPH

Greyhounds can make 45 MPH : http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2004/GeetaMalieckal.shtml

A well bred large male Rotte can make 35 to 40 for a short distance.. my males have been about 125 lbs and run like racehorses.. they just can't do it over a long distance

11. marley

marley 17-26-32

I average about 22mph for a 2 hour ride. I must say that I am on a road bike. It is mostly flat here in VA. I can be over 35mph for much longer than any dog. It would be much harder on a mtb. Have you ever been chased by a dog before while on a road bike? Pro's Like in the tour de france ride at 25mph as an average for the whole tour up and down the alps. At a finish of a stage they are going 50 to 60 kph. Or in the 40 +mph range. They do this for hours. Usually four to five hours. That is a fast human. I can do 35mph for a couple of miles. The greyhound info I saw was about 600 yards was their max. No Grizzly's here in VA. I have not know Rotte to chase. I would doubt that a Rotte could run so close to a greyhound in terms of speed. Their build is so diffrent. All of the sight hounds have much diffrent builds than rottes. It is usually the angle that makes the difference. The dog is usually close to the house. They then have to cross the yard. I am already moving at 15-25mph. They can't catch you. I have had dogs that had the angle and I knew it a loud shout was enough to send them home. The glock 26 would have handled any that this did not work on. A dog is not so brave a half mile from his house. I don't think that they see it as their yard anymore. They are only chasing because you are running. I have stopped and turned on them and they have not showed much fight. I have chased them back to thier house tail between legs. I think they realize that I am not afraid of them. They are also confused as no one has done this to them before. YMMV Patrick

12. 3 weelin geezer

3 weelin geezer

SUE, SUE!!:soap: No, not my wife.

13. mlcs

mlcs

i have a beagle mix and his favorite is a ups truck, why i dont know. motorcycles to. he got away from my wife once and bolted for that ups truck head on the poor driver he slammed on his breaks to stop for the runt, and their my dog is barking away in front of him, i think the truck could have cleared him , but im glad he stopped . i have to have him in the house when i start up the ninja or he chases me.

14. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

My dog just looks at you like "Bye". Unless you're one of these people who pull in the driveway, then do a u-turn and head out, then she's ticked.

15. 3 weelin geezer

3 weelin geezer

My old dog used to get out and sit by the front door and wait for someone to open it to get in. If the mailman came during this time, she would bark at him like mad. He told us that if we don't secure the dog he would stop delivering our mail. I wonder if its not the guy the dogs hate. :laughabove: