OK, tell me if you think I'm being wierd.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M2 Carbine, Oct 25, 2015.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes, I knew there would be some resistance but not as much as I'm getting.
    Being practical I look at it as a sensible way of doing things.
    Get everything planned out before I die and have my "stuff", I worked a lifetime for, go where I want it to go.

2. D-Ric902

D-Ric902

Designate who gets what guns based of your best guesses.

Stipulate that after distribution a "trading session" take place for any adjustments that they wish to make.

That way you decided but after they take ownership, they can trade as they wish for any "fine tuning" needed so they are all happy with what they get. They can do it as a Wake, food and drinks, celebrating your life and love of shooting.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    nursetim likes this.

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes, I'm trying to keep everything I can out of the court's hands. If I have the chance "at death's door" I have plans to dispose of a lot of stuff before I die.
    One reason for the gun list, is so I give away the guns before I actually die (if I have the chance).

My Wife felt fine Friday evening. Saturday she was in intensive care and never woke up again.

So, I'm trying to cover all bases, whether I die suddenly, or have time to get my stuff to my friends before I die.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  4. plp

plp

That's pretty smart, and would eliminate the possibility of them being seized or impounded due to physical or mental incompetence.

5. 2bgop

2bgop

You are doing a great thing, but I also understand your friends not wanting to come over for a shopping spree of your stuff. I think both you and your friends are being respectful, I am sure it will work out.

deputy tom likes this.
  6. David2015

David2015

My brother's mother & father-in-law called their 3 daughters & 3 son-in-laws over for a dinner one night and afterwards, laid out some masking tape & markers... telling them all to put their names on the back of anything they wanted when the elderly parents passed away.

While the 2 sisters, their husbands and his wife were scurrying around the house picking out things like tables, chairs and knickknacks...... my brother wrote his name on a 2" wide strip of masking tape.. went out back and stuck it on the house [which was paid for]. Then came back inside and began watching football. :whistling:

7. jmohme

jmohme

Set up a range day, lay it all out and take notes on what everybody shoots.
    A couple weeks pass, do it again an dee what everyone's first and second choices are.

Now you have the beginning of a list.

BTW, before my Father in law passed, I made it known what guns I liked.
    He gave me those before he died.

8. Adjuster

Adjuster

I am one that thinks you need to dispose of as much of your possessions as possible before you pass. Give those guns to your friends in your last years. There is going to be a time when you cant get out to shoot them all and then a time when you can't properly clean and take care of them all. Make it easier on yourself and them by giving the guns away while your still able.

/

Jake514 likes this.
  9. Jake514

Jake514

I agree, and then you have the satisfaction of knowing your wishes are being carried out like you want.

10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes, this is also part of the plan of "stuff" going where I want it to go.

A while back I was showing a couple lady friend shooters some guns. I told them I was starting a list of who my guns are going to. I told the ladies, don't be timid, if you like a gun say so.
    A couple of the guns they liked were nice laser equipped Kimber Ultras.
    I said, You name is on the list.

Then I thought.
    Why should I deny myself, because I'm dead, the pleasure of seeing these friends enjoying their new Kimbers ?
    So I gave the ladies the two guns. :)

deputy tom and nursetim like this.
  11. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Have you approached them all the same way so far? It might be better just to ask them which of the guns is their favorite without bringing the will into it.

If you have any blank spaces left, I'll be happy to PM you my info. :supergrin:

12. WT

WT Millennium Member

Will this spreadsheet become part of a document filed with the Probate Court? Will doing so essentially 'register' those firearms and their new owners with government authorities?

Personally, I would put a label on each piece with the recipient's name.

deputy tom likes this.
  13. racerford

racerford

When you are talking to your lawyer, you might ask him if there any pitfalls to the pre-death give away. There possibilities of gift taxes, and or inclusion in the estate for tax purposes. The law can sometimes be weird, as the government sees this as actions to evade estate taxes. Also if their heirs involved, make sure you document what you have done, so they don't accuse people of "stealing" their inheritance. Inheritance can cause really bad behaviors.

14. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Actually the Will isn't part of it. The guns, along with other stuff is "off the books".

Yes, I do know some of the guns that friends like. Just yesterday I told a friend the start of his list is two nice Black Powder guns and a 03A4 and 03A3.

Kevin108 likes this.
  15. Bruce M

Bruce M

I will not be so bold as to suggest that you leave one to me. But I will be bold enough to suggest that if one is left over maybe it could go to GT as for a fund raiser. And I will also be bold enough to suggest that as a fund raiser it might bring even more money as a "rental." I would consider it an honor and a privilege to be able to get to shoot a gun of yours and help GT at the same time. But I admit that might not be viable idea or popular.

16. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I think that what you are doing is practical and very thoughtful. It is understandable that some are reticent about choosing a firearm. They feel as if to do so would make them a vulture.

Personally, I think that if you just assign the firearms to those whom you feel are worthy NO ONE would be upset with your choices. To receive something as personal as a firearm from a departed friend would be a warm and lovely gesture in my eyes. They will cherish your thoughtful gift no matter which of your collection you assign to them.

One last thing, when the spreadsheet is done a copy should be appended to your will with full mention of it in the body of the will to ensure your wishes are carried out.

Take care, and hope it isn't needed for a long time, sir.

17. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

No.
    Many of my guns lost their "paper trail" years ago. :)

Thanks for the advice. I'm making a list of what to ask the lawyer tomorrow.
    Actually the lawyer is a Family Court Judge, that I met through one of the lady shooters.

I told her about the guns and I didn't want them in the "estate".
    At first she said they would have to go through a FFL.
    Then I told her the guns would be transferred "face to face" between adults, so no paper trail is necessary. She agreed.

18. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

If you had my in-laws, it would not be a problem. Shortly after my wife's mother passed ( her father was still living ) she went to visit him. He said " Ducky ( what he call her - my SIL ) put yellow sticky notes on the back of everything she wanted - with her husband's approval ( my wife's brother ) ".

Pissed my wife off so much, she looked behind everything and moved all the notes around to things she knew she didn't want/need. :rofl:

Needless to say, when her father passed it got contentious, they sued her.

wp

19. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I've seen people start ripping pictures of the wall and packing up the china and silver while the body was still in the home. It's pretty disgusting, actually.

Hartford likes this.
  20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I only have four step brothers (in Maryland) that I haven't seen in years except on Facebook.
    I haven't seen my Wife's sister since my Wife's funeral (2003). Where her main interest was getting my Wife's diamond rings.

I'm not big on family.

nursetim likes this.