OK, tell me if you think I'm being wierd.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M2 Carbine, Oct 25, 2015.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'm updating my Will and "Power of Attorney", etc, etc, so my friend who will be my Executer, etc. will have as little headaches as possible when I die.

One thing is I have a fair amount of guns.
    I want these guns to go to friends.
    The guns are recorded on a Excell file and I want the name of the friend beside the gun.

Simple, Right?

I've hit a road block. No one wants to pick out the guns they want. They tell me to decide. They said they don't feel "right" about it.

I don't want to decide what guns they get. I want them to get what they like. Not what I think they should like.

I told them, I'll be dead. It won't make any difference to me who gets what, I just want them to get the guns they especially like.

Today a friend told me, I want YOU to do what you want with your guns.
    I said, What I want is for you to put your name beside some of these guns. :fist:

I know this is a little unusual and my friends feel like they are picking my bones before I die.
    But this is what I want.

Am I being weird?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    G19Tony and Glockdude1 like this.
  2. plp

plp

When you ask them and get that response, tell them you are just going to draw names out of a hat at random.

This is where Southern manners sometimes go adrift. It would be almost gruesome to call dibs from their standpoint, while you are just being practical and trying to put a favored weapon with a good friend.

I'll bet it wouldn't matter a bit what they got, as it would be from you and that would probably be enough for them.

inthefrey, smith10 and Paul53 like this.

3. KBKEITH

KBKEITH Problem Solver Platinum Member

If that's how you want to handle it, then your friends should honor your request.

Can I be your friend?

:supergrin:

happyguy, nursetim and Paul53 like this.
  4. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

No, not at all. They should respect your wishes. I am thinking along the Same lines. My wife will get mine when I shuffle off, but she has no idea what to do with them. I would rather people get them that would use them.

BTW, if my name is on the spreadsheet, put me down for the M2. :supergrin:

wp

Paul53 likes this.
  5. robbcayman

robbcayman

I am a very logical person, so I get what you are trying to do. I just think it makes people feel weird that they are already picking over your possessions before you are gone.

Plus, people probably don't want to come across as greedy. I mean, I wouldn't want your high point, but I would want your black rifles and higher priced firearms. Also, if you have several kids, one may worry about pissing off another sibling for picking a gun they would want.

They would probably prefer you assign the guns for the aforementioned reasons.

Paul53 likes this.
  6. Detectorist

Detectorist

I'll be glad to pick a few.

nursetim likes this.
  7. napp32

napp32

Hey, old buddy. Just PM me a list of what you have. I'll be more than happy to make a couple of selections.

Your friend, John.

southern thunder likes this.
  8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes, this is what I'm up against.

From my standpoint, making sure the guns go to the friend that likes them makes perfect sense. But I'm getting a lot of resistance.

Paul53 likes this.
  9. Bruce M

Bruce M

My guess is to some extent not choosing a gun may be a mechanism to help them not have to think about you no longer being in their life. That said, as I presume you know, the more you plan and decide now, the easier it will be for those that have to deal with your estate and business.

seanmac45 likes this.
  10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yeah, I thought I'd get a lot of offers. :)

nursetim and Bruce M like this.
  11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes. I'm trying to cover all bases so when I die my friends have as few problems as possible and my "stuff" goes, easily, to the people I want to get it.
    Going to see a lawyer tomorrow.

12. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

My father passed away in Dec 2014. A few months before, we had almost the same conversation about my dads collection. My brother and I, told my dad, to decide who gets what. He said No. He wanted us to decide. Long story short, after he passed we decided on the collection.

:cool:

13. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

M2, Old Pal. Put my name next to each gun. Then tell your other Old Pals that they can have second dibs should I kick before they do. That'll take the pressure off of them thinking that they're being scavengers.

Oh, and I'' be more than happy to take possession of any unclaimed toys. They'll be treated with love and reverence... and then have the snot shot out of them. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    :50cal::animlol:

14. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

No, you are not weird. You just want to share you collection with those who would appreciate and care for firearms the way you do.

Added:
    I had a model train layout from my youth constructed by my father and myself. When I moved I didn't have any room for it, so I gave it to a brother-in-law who is a model train junkie. I was told it was worth about $5,000 - $10,000.

He broke it down for pieces and sold them at train shows. I saw my former stuff at train shows.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Paul53 and KBKEITH like this.
  15. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

You're doing the right thing. And thank you for making it easier for the court and the probate attorney to carry out your wishes. The costs will be less, and more of your generous gifts will reach your friends.

Don't worry. They will feel comfortable voicing their preferences.

nursetim likes this.
  16. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Silver Member

Make a pool of guns. Say you have 20 guns, and 10 friends. When you kick, they pick numbers out of a hat, 1-10. First guy gets 1st pick, etc. Whoever gets #10 gets the 10th & 11th picks, and so on.

Any guns not claimed get donated to a local gun club to auction as a fundraiser.

17. plp

plp

FWIW, after my grandmother passed we found masking tape on the back of every piece of furniture, with a name and telephone number.

On the ones for my mom and dad, the area code had changed twice. She had done this in the 1970's, probably after my grandfather passed and she was trying to keep busy.

18. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

You think you have a fair amount of guns? Nope- this guy has a fair amount of guns :)

Deputies estimate that they've seized between 7,000 and 10,000 stolen guns from a house and warehouse near Pageland. Deputies have arrested Brent Nicholson in connection to the stolen goods.

Chesterfield County Sheriff Jay Brooks says the seized guns, ammunition, and hundreds of other items were all found on a single property off of Highway 9 outside of Pageland city limits. Brooks says the guns alone filled one tractor trailer and ammunition filled another.

"None of us have ever seen anything anywhere close to this," Brooks said. "No telling how many break-ins this will held wrap up."

Rusty Fender told WBTV he had lived next to Nicholson his entire life and never suspected the hoarding of weapons. "He's always been a good cat, but you know, people do things," said Fender.

"What was you thinking? Why was you collecting that many firearms? What was you planning on doing with them? I mean was you planning on starting a riot?" questioned Fender.

Fender said he can't remember a bigger event happening near Pageland during his years living in the area. He explained that ultimately he is happy the weapons have been seized.

"I don't understand why he done the things he done, but I'm glad it's off the streets."

19. R*E

R*E

I was given this option and being on the receiving end I can tell you it is appreciated and rather uncomfortable.

20. plp

plp

I can also suggest what NOT to do. My late BIL had his will done and had asked me several times to be a designated custodian of his collection, should his kids still be minors, as he just knew his ex-wife would sell everything.

Instead, in order to keep his home for his kids to benefit and it not go into foreclosure, I had to be the bad guy and sell off most of it.

I realize this really doesn't apply in your specific case, but it may to others. Don't put that decision on someone else, make your wishes specific, reasonable and in writing.

moeman, amacro and MO Fugga like this.