Ok so laptops now

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CAcop, Aug 9, 2020.

1. jmohme

jmohme

2. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

MacBook Pro. I have had it since 2013 or so. love it. Still going strong.

3. jmohme

jmohme

I used to buy into that nonsense until 2011 when I tossed my last windows machine out the window.
    So much less drama without windows nonsense to deal with.
    But if you just like Windows, by all means, stick with it.

4. Jon_R

Jon_R

I do IT work for a defense contractor. Been there 20 years and every 3 years I get a new Dell Latitude. They have been great but may not be priced for the student market. The company has started to allow MS Surface laptops but I am happy with the dell latitude series.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  5. Tackle

Tackle

Your kids are 6 & 8. Walk into the nearest Walmart, target, or best buy and purchase anything that fits the budget and form factor requirements. Don't worry about memory or cpu they will all be sufficient. Ssd is nice but still not required. Any $400 budget laptop will last them many years baring no physical damage. Unless you want to spend more of course. They are all reliable and there is not a big span for day to day usage between bottom tier and top tier as there used to be. I say this as an IT guy, FYI.

CAcop likes this.
  6. Westexas

Westexas

I have an ASUS laptop that is just hitting 9 years old. Still works great. I just use it as a backup for my IPad.

7. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

Yes.

MB-G26 likes this.
  8. Aurora

Aurora

I vote for Lenovo. They've been really good to me. Dell has been hit or miss.

Keep an eye on what they sell to business. None of these companies will screw around with a medium to large business customer.

Don't buy the low end machines and don't buy from a big box store.

Don't use the low end or "home" version of any OS.

Buy towards the end of a model's production run. Most or all of the defects will be exposed or corrected by then.

Asus has a reputation for being cutting edge and it's true. Trouble is, sometimes they are so far ahead that they are riddled with bugs and defects that business brands avoid.

V.

9. as400guy1

as400guy1

I know, right?

10. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

My son just bought Lenovo over Dell for his company. He worked them for the best deal. Several million dollar buy.

11. GWG19

GWG19

Basic laptop go with a Lenovo. They are tough and easily repairable. The are standard is for some companies as well School systems.

12. Jonesee

Jonesee

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    jmohme likes this.
  13. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

Agreed...anyone that thinks Microsoft isn’t a leftist Corp is mistaken. Anyone that thinks windows is anywhere near as good as IOS is also sadly mistaken. Windows absolutely sucks. Just gets crammed with cache errors malware etc and becomes horrible within a cpl years.

However a Mac book air for 6-8 year olds is ridiculous. Hell I would think chrome books even would be. I have no idea how any of us adults made it through our childhoods??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resqu2 likes this.
  14. cyphertext

cyphertext

I understand her preference, but I am assuming that at some point, the kids will be going back to public school? If yes, reconsider using Google Docs, even if you go with a laptop. My son used Google Docs all through high school and is continuing to use it in college.

15. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Just don't spill any chlorine trifluoride on it and you'll be fine! :D

On a more serious note, I am typing this on my Asus laptop that I've also had for many years. A while back, one of the Windows 10 updates caused my Wi-Fi to start acting up, so I just started using ethernet. Then, another update hosed up my desktop. After trying several times to recover the system, I said "screw it" and installed Linux. My Wi-Fi works perfectly again and I have all the same functionality I had with Windows. It's more secure and boots up a lot faster, too.

jmohme and Westexas like this.
  16. Westexas

Westexas

I installed the Microsoft Edge browser which they will support until next July. I only access sites I have in favorites. Also running AntiMalwarebytes and Webroot Internet security.

I don’t know if I’ll bother getting another laptop. An IPad does everything I need.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  17. jmohme

jmohme

Yes, I do, and that is how I know that just when you think you have limited them with hardware, they find a way around your limits.
    They are clever little beasts!

Actually, when my daughter asked for a game console, I said no and got her a Mac laptop instead.
    I don't waste money on computers with limited functionality.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  18. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

My wife has an old iPad from many years ago. Still runs like a champ.

Westexas likes this.
  19. Pluto57

Pluto57

The paragraph above confuses me.

Much like guns, regardless of brand, you're going to find some folks who swear by that brand and some folks who think it's crap. I bought two identical HPs a few years back. Both have been problematic, but some folks love HP. I have an ASUS running Vista that has served me well for many years that I use on a daily basis, but some folks wouldn't recommend ASUS. My new desktop all-in-one is a Lenovo. So far, so good, but it's only a few months old.

Without knowing what exactly they're going to use the machines for or how much you want to spend, here are my recommendations:

An i5 processor or equivalent should be okay. An i7 is probably overkill for a kid's machine. I'd avoid i3 machines unless price is a driving factor.

You can never have too much RAM, but there is no need to pay for something you don't need. Minimum anymore is 8GB. That should be sufficient for a kid's machine.

I recommend an SSD. 256GB is the most common size for an SSD and that should be sufficient unless they're going to be storing lots of video files.

As far as brand, you can probably use whatever random selection method you like (pull it out a hat, use a dart board, or maybe a spinning wheel).

20. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Commie!

Resqu2 likes this.