close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ok so I watch an obvious rules violation at Anderson

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by whiskerz, May 4, 2007.

1. whiskerz

whiskerz

Instead of starting with forearms touching his torso . The guy starts crouched with the gun extended in front of his face and on target. RO lets him shoot 3 guns 12 stings this way at the plates. If the guy had hit all of the plates I would be more upset. With 3 RO's at the stage you would think 1 would correct this. The did change a kid and make him move his start position to the correct position so they appeared to know the rules. Opinions ? comments ? Am I just a trouble maker? :supergrin: :tongueout:

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

no worse than letting a shooter continue after an AD. it seems to me from watching other shooters and Ros the GSSF start position is hard to understand and apply, regardless of how simple others might think it is. i liked the orange aiming/starting point.

3. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

ede

Is talking about the bright orange square that was painted on the ground a few feet forward of the firing line a few years back. I have see all different styles of starting positions. I even have seen one shooter hold the gun up so high all he had to do was push straight out and shoot. His forearms you could say where touching his torso just up about as high as one could get them.

What you should have done is politely bring it up to the Ro's right then. The Rules state the shooters and RO's are in charge of knowing and understanding the rules.

Just my two cents.

Pharaoh

4. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

+ $.02 ;) Insures everyone (including the RO's who may be shooting) is shooting the same course of fire.

:patriot:

5. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Should the gun be at a "low ready" or pointing at the ground? Should/could the arms be locked out and elbows still touch ribs?
    At some bowling pin matches I have been to, we had to start with the muzzle touching the table at the shooting point, maybe that is a solution?

I prefer to have my pistol slightly below or at sternum level and pointed at the targets. For the sake of open and friendly discussion, does anybody have any heartburn with that? If so what is the reasoning behind the complaint?

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i've ROed more than a few matches and everyone has their own way. all in all i don't think short of having the gun and sights on target ready to fire there is any real advantage however you do it. i still like the orange square in front of the table, as long as no one shoots the square instead of the targets.

7. fuegoglockjr

fuegoglockjr

I liked the low ready, aimed at the orange spot too. I might be mistaken, but I think they changed the start position, because a couple of the host ranges have rules that all projectiles must hit into the back berm, or as far down range as possible. The orange spot was only about 11 yards down range. In theory, with the elbows touching the torso, and the muzzle parallel with the ground, the discharged round should make the berm. In the low ready, you would hit the ground if you were a little premature on the trigger. Yeah, I know, you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger until the timer buzzes, and you are engaging the target, but we all have seen shooters that have had their finger on the trigger when they are in a ready position. Also, there have been times when the D-1's were mounted a little high on the sticks, to make sure the rounds hit the berms. Another point, I believe you are not supposed to raise your muzzle at an angle above parallel, because you could shoot over the berm.

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Oakdale's "Forest of the Giants" comes to mind.
    :animlol:

9. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

I remember in a match where I was having my elbows at the sides and pointing the gun downward and the RO told me that I could keep it pointed straight. I just had to have the arms and elbows in. I'm just used to pointing it down even with the elbows in. Yep, the organge spot gave everyone a focal point.

10. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

I was the RO running one of the Plate Racks on Saturday, we only had two people working that station on Saturday so I am sure you aren't talking about me... (not that it matters) The interpretation of a 'correct' start position seemed to vary from RO to RO. I shot on Sunday and even knowing the proper start position, on one of the stages on Sunday I had the RO instruct me to pull my elbows in tighter to my sides. I think I liked the orange stick or 'low ready' start position better myself.

11. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

My situation happened last year or the year before, right after the changes in the ready position took effect, so I wasn't pointing any fingers at anyone, I just was giving an example. The RO was nice and telling me that I was actually putting my elbows in and pointing in an extremely low ready position, that I didn't have to go down that far, that's all. I was "scrunch" down and pointing way, way down, with elbows in and he told me I didn't have to point it that low, to just go out in front of me instead of in, down and then out.

12. pnhurst

pnhurst

Go to enough matches, you will see just about everything. It is difficult to police, and arguing with ROs seems to be a fools errand.

At one match they allowed you to start with the gun already up and aimed at the target.

13. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Bring back the orange spot! :)

14. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

Last year at Roseburg I ran into the same problem.

I calmly instructed the RO what the proper start position was, and said he could go get the Chris or the other guy (never can remember his name) to clarify.

I signed up to shoot subcompact this year, and on every stage they kept telling me I needed different score sheets, and could only load something like 7 rounds.

Like the first year with the carbonless scoresheets, we had one group of RO's at Roseburg tell us to put the stickers lower so we could fill out the name portion. I told him I wrote the gun model in and would know which entry my scoresheet was, and he about had a fit because I didn't want to write my name/division info on the scoresheet when I had a preprinted label to use.

15. JonInWA

JonInWA

Roland, I also noticed that we were only loading 10 (instead of 11) an the "5 To Glock" stage. Since the only purpose for 11 is to facilitate speedier reloading, it was of no operational consequence, but it did make me curious enough to re-check the Rulebook when I got home. In a good light, loading 10 certainly precluded anyone from getting that "extra shot fired" 10 second penalty! (And the way that the Roseburg RO's ran the stage it went smoothly enough anyhow-I noticed a huge improvement in the quality and efficiency of the RO's at Roseburg this year as compared to last year).

Best, Jon

16. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Loading 11 also leaves you with a round in case you have to clear a malfunction while shooting a string. Nothing like doing a picture-perfect tap-rack-bang, then end up with only 9 rounds on paper on a 5TG. :embarassed: