close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OK Really....Why Night Sights ??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by hearsedriver, Jun 19, 2012.

1. hearsedriver

hearsedriver

I am not real clear as to why anyone would "need" night sights on a handgun. I mean, would you really take the time to put someone in your sights in the dark ? And if it is that dark, how do you know what/who you are shooting at ? I think they are more of a novelty with thier little "tritium filled tubes" and such. To me, a fiber optic sight makes more sense becasue they are bright in daylight and can be seen pretty easily in low light situations. Maybe I am missing something. What say you ?

2. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

I say you've never done any real low light shooting or taken a low light handgun class. Police statistics say more than 80% of shootings happen in low light situations. And yes, I would definately take the time to put someone in my sights in the dark, especially since you should be using it in combination with a light.

3. Green Mountain Boy

Green Mountain Boy

In case I have to shoot at night?:tongueout:

In all seriousness I find the green tritium easier to see in low light than my stock White glock sights. I am currently running my glocks with the stockk sights for now however I could always switch.

I have trouble seeing the glock sights in low light where the son is behind trees or is not at a good angle.

To answer your tatical question

1. Front sight! Front Sight! Front Sight! and oh yeah front sight. A little hard to do if you can barley see the front sight.

2. If you know you feel threatened enough to pull your gun you should know what is threatning you and therefore only be taking safe shots.

I am currently in the process of picking a light laser combo for my G23. That may just become my go to home defense piece.

Regards, GMB

4. hearsedriver

hearsedriver

That all makes sense. I have not been trained in low light shooting. It was just something that I got to thinking about last night when I was messing with my 34 with Dawson sights. I was surprised at how easy the red front fiber optic sight was to see in low light against the plain black rear sight.

5. icelandicstud

icelandicstud

I'd rather have a light and laser on it then rely on night sights but that's me.

I've tried it a number of times where I woke up at 2-3am and the green rear sights seem to make my eyes focus only on the sights and dimishes my night vision. Thus I've personally chosen to only have a front night sight. It works for me your mileage may vary of course.

6. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Have you ever had to clear a bldg at 0dark30? I have and NS help, fiber optics appealed to me but after seeing several broken sets I'll stick with steel sights thanks.

7. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Night sights help you align your sights at night. If it is so dark you can't see your target, what are you shooting at anyway?

8. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Dump The Hump"

Ditto.....TXPO

9. troysglock

troysglock Member

Where I have trained they refer to the sights as "low light sights" because that is where they really "shine". At night you should be using a flashlight technique or dedicated light to positively identify a target at which point a black front sight will suffice. While I prefer to have them, I think the term night sights is a great marketing phrase although that is what they aren't.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  10. wrczx3

wrczx3 Jerry

Thats what I figure too.

11. jph02

jph02

which is why I opted for a light for my G22 gen 4 for HD. The gun is pointed where the light is, so sight visibility is not so critical in that situation, seems to me.

12. HexHead

HexHead

What's the downside to having night sights? You don't have to be in pitch dark for them to work, their glow makes it easier to see your sights in lower light conditions than stock sights.

13. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Target identification is of utmost importance, don't get me wrong, but if your light dies while you are shooting, you are using an off gun technique (recommended for most applications since you shouldn't be pointing your gun at everything while you search), or for other reasons you might have where you don't want to reveal yourself, night sights (make no mistake, night sights are low light but low light isn't necessarily night) will help you align your sights.

In a pinch they might let you orient your pistol if it was below normal presentation sight line.

We can argue nomenclature all day long and we can go back and forth on opinions about equipping your gun with night sights and it won't solve anything. I think that totally disregarding night sights and considering them gimicks is a mistake.

14. Adamz04

Adamz04

I'm kinda with ya on this one. I have 3 glocks all with standard sights and I like them. I just have a hard time spending money to put them on when I think that in a pressure situation it's going to be more just point and shoot not hold on let me line up my green dots first.

I'm not knocking night sights and I understand why people get them. I'm just saying for me I don't feel that I would actually use them in crunch time. I don't think they are a gimmick part but Im just trying to spend my money on practicing more first.

15. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Dump The Hump"

As Bama stated they are to be considered low light sights. In our field of work, depending on your shift of course, they help orient the weapon on a target once it is located and identified.

No one should be shooting at anything where only the sight is visible and not the target. Refer to my post in Night sights or Flashlight as to my use of the flashlight and the night sights supporting role.

There are quite a few situations especially in the LE environment where there is ample light to identify a target, but where you may be in a dark area, or shadow. This make sight alignment more difficult, and night sights aid in that role.

IE a felony traffic stop with a suspect at gunpoint. Everything in front of you is well lit and easily identified. We as officers are in the shadowy area conducting the stop and I want to make sure my sights are in perfect alignment should things go awry. It is hard to see a set of plain black sights in this particular situation.

For me night sights are invaluable on a duty weapon. This is also the main reasoning why most department issued duty weapons have night sights installed. TXPO

16. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

That is the key. You should practice using the sights, A LOT, and then hopefully, you use them when you need them.

ETA- on my personal guns, all I use is a NS front sight and a plain rear. For all the talk of seeing your target, up close the front sight is important and you probably wouldn't be lining up 3 dots that close anyhow. Maybe a 2 dot, dot the i set up would be better, but the NS front only has worked for me...including ambient light/low light qualification stuff.

17. Sgt.K

Sgt.K They Just Work!

Helps me find my G26, G17 or PM9 on the nightstand. Plus I'd rather have and not need than the other way around. Of course JMHO and YMMV.

18. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

X2. Light and laser seem a lot more useful than the tritium sights. ONLY reason I would install Trijicons on a Glock is because they have less chance of getting knocked off than the factory plasticrap sights.

19. sciolist

sciolist

You should take a low-light class if you get the chance.

I have an F/O front on my 34 and a tritium front on my carry gun. It's an interesting exercise to work with a partner, and set up a shoothouse stage in the evening, taking turns “clearing” it with each changing the target positions for the other, as evening light fades into darkness. You can also experiment with sights on different guns.

I like the tritium front when ambient light really starts getting low, and then into darkness, in conjunction with a flashlight.

To me, the tritium functions similarly in low light to the way an F/O functions in daylight. It just helps me pick up the front quickly. In darkness, the tritium allows you to confirm the sight picture before the flashlight illuminates the target. In daylight, my tritium front (Dawson) looks pretty much like a Glock OE front.

For shaded areas of match stages, I agree the F/O helps a lot as a light scavenger.

20. oldman11

oldman11

I was taught night shooting back in the 50's and 60's. We didn't have night sights, but we were taught to how to use a flashlight; 1st to find and identify target, 2nd to use as an aim point. So I really haven't used night sights on a gun at all. Not much help, I know.