close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OK Oc'ing Gurus Help Me Out!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RaiderRodney, Sep 1, 2004.

1. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I have a SONY VAIO RX-860 with ASUS P4S533VX motherboard. It is a "branded for SONY VAIO" type board with all advanced bios settings (particularly the FSB speed) locked out, well can't even see them.

I would really like to get that 2.4 up to around 2.9-3 ghz, I already bought some better cooling products :(

I saw on one forum where some recommended taking all memory out and starting up the computer, it would error into the advanced bios. Only thing is you only get one shot, because after you re-install memory the limited bios come back up. Also saw where someone got to it by re-setting the CMOS by taking out battery for a few minutes. I haven't tried any of these yet.

If they work what settings should I set the FSB to & should I mess with the voltages....as you can see I am noob to OC'ing ;g

Has anyone had any luck with one like this? Any and all ideas would be appreciated, thanks :)

Here are specs:

P4 2.4ghz 533 fsb
    1 gb pc2100 mem
    120 gb wd 7,200 rpm hd
    ati x800 pro graphics

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

One word.

Why?

Computers are so fast today I really don't understand why people overclock thier machines.

It was fine when all you could aford was a 300a Celeron but with the FSB's at 800mhz it's safer to buy another processor.

Better yet

Google it!

3. nothing

nothing Advertisement

I don't really see how taking the memory out would let you access the super secret hidden bios features. The computer will not POST when you remove all the ram. Removing the CMOS battery probably won't do it either, but then it's still worth a shot. It will reset the bios and maybe it will prompt you for settings, however I think it probably just autodetects the processor and doesn't allow you to tweak.

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

This is one reason you might want to overclock your machine.
    http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/~htsu/humor/fry_egg.html

I would guess that either way, he will be buying a new processor.

5. Guest

Overclocking is fine, I do it with everything and never had a problem *knock wood*.

As for your situation, if the BIOS settings are locked out I don't think you can adjust them, and the board probably won't handle it which is WHY they are locked out. You might have to pick up a better motherboard if you want to overclock. :)

6. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Hehe, I got it! Taking out the memory and letting it beep about a minute I then cut off and re-installed memory and sure enough.....advanced bios!

I overclocked it to 150 fsb which makes a 2.7ghz, not bad, I was afraid to push it much with my crappy pc2100 memory :(

I installed ati silencer on my X800pro, cut a hole in the side of case and put 80mm fan and installed a Arctic Cooling Super Silent 4lpro on my cpu. I am running cooler on cpu and graphics card with it overclocked to 500/540.

I am pleased with the outcome, it isn't easy playing with these damn OEM computers! I had to take the power supply sleeve off and rig a brace to keep it from laying on my new X800 ;P

My best 3dmark score before was 6,371 and I am pleased to say I just pulled out a 10,328!

Thanks for the comments and help guys

7. Guest

Nice, glad it worked out for you, OEM computers can be "teh svck" to try and overclock/tweak. ;g