Ok - kinda gross

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by ppk/sfan, Aug 14, 2007.

1. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Guest

I've gotten my new puppy off of Puppy Chow and onto Solid Gold. The problem now is that Molly has the WORST gas. I'm serious. She's killing me! Is this just going to take her body a little bit of time to adjust to the good nutrition, or is this a side effect I just need to deal with? HELP!

2. Tazlima

Tazlima Guest

Different dogs can react to the same foods differently, particularly if they have a sensitive stomach (I have two dogs with guts of steel and one who gets the runs if you look at him cross-eyed). If the gas problem doesn't go away after a week or so, I'd try a different food. That doesn't mean the food you're giving him is bad, just that he doesn't react well to it.

Also don't switch foods immediately if you can avoid it. Take a few days of mixing increasing amounts of the new food to decreasing amounts of the old to allow the dog's body time to adjust.

There's no reason to go through a lifetime of horrendous dog farts in the name of nutrition, it can be avoided, lol.

3. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Also try adding some plain yogurt to her diet. This doesn't get rid of the farts, but it usually helps.

4. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Guest

Thanks everyone. IT's a little better today. I found out that she had been sneeking the other dogs (my mom's dogs) crappy food. THAT could have something to do with it! I will try some yogurt later today.

5. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Guest

I'm seriously thinking about trying another premium food. Molly's gas is getting worse - she currently whimpering in my lap from belly pain. She's had a little bit of looser than normal stools. I fed her some plain yogurt today - about a tablespoon or 2.

One thing I noticed about the solid gold vs innova vs canidae, etc is that most of the other foods I'm looking at have "beneficial microorganisms" like lactobacillus, etc.

Maybe she needs the benefits of the yogurt with every meal? She's almost out of food (Solid gold) now...I might pick up a bag of Innova or Canidae tomorrow and see what happens. I'm also going to put a call into the vet tomorrow if her stools aren't back to normal.

She DID just get her 1st puppy shots last week including Bordatella. She should have some immune response after 1 week though.

Hmm...all I know is she's miserable & the smell is TERRIBLE!!!

(please note, this is not a bad mark on the food Solid gold. I highly recommend it. It just may be that it doesn't agree with Molly)

6. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Maybe a worm? I know they are mostly common in cats, but a stiff belly and a sad kitty + smelliness were always signs of an "anal intruder" to our vet....:rofl:

7. G20man32904

G20man32904 Guest

ppk,
    Totally normal. Give her a "beano" in her food, and you can also mix in some plain white rice.
    :wavey: :supergrin:

8. DepChief

DepChief Get Tous's Rope

Well, I ended up calling my vet before I did anything...

Her concern was that after almost a month on the solid gold, it may be the lamb and/or high level of flax seeds isn't agreeing with her. She recommended trying the Innova Evo that doesn't have lamb and give 50/50 solid gold/innova for a few weeks (until her vet appointment on 9/4).

If THAT doesn't work then we will look at adding some beano, or checking for some sort of food intolerance.

I'm not TOOO upset about the gas, besides it being uncomfortable for her & smelly for me. Its the loose stools that bother her the most. She ACTS fine & doesn't seem to be sick other than occassional loose stools & horrible gas.

I will keep you posted.

9. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Guest

OOOPS - sorry. That wasn't Depchief posting that was me!!!!!!!

10. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

Ahhh the dog farts!!!

Some dogs are just fart machines. And most of the gas is the silent but deadly stuff. My boss has a dog that likes to greet customers by putting his paws up on the shelf behind our counter. Every single time he does, he farts!! Its almost like the gravity pulls the gas out. Funny sometimes.

But getting back to the, ahem, farts, some dogs stomachs dont ajust well to certain types of food. Usually any type of el-cheapo dog food will do it. And sometimes well water with a lot of sulphur will make the poots. Changing the food to a different will also do it. My pooch had the Pedigree farts so bad I thought he crapped inside a few times.

I switched him to this stuff called River Run. Well a dog is going to fart no matter what, but since I put him on this, he doesnt do it as much. It also seems that a food that is higher in protein sometimes help curb some of the rancid booty. But good foods are somewhat pricey and people have a tendency to buy the cheap stuff. For your sake and sanity, experiment with the food. Somebody mention gradually changing the food. This is a good idea.

By the way, dogs have no shame to breaking wind. Mine sniffs around when he doesnt and sometimes leaves the room. Like did I do that dang that stinks...