Glock Talk banner

Ok, I just spent $710 on a .22 rifle

1712 37
i wanted to buy American and have been repulsed of late at all the plastic stocked cheap crap on the gun shop racks. The trigger on the Ruger American is insulting and it feels like something from Harbor Freight. The CZ options were nice but I dropped the extra $$$ for the Ruger 77, had to order it, will be in on Wednesday. I have a Redfield 2X7 waiting
Wood Flooring Hardwood Font Event
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· USMC 8531
2,571 Posts
I'm interested in a range report on this, I was in the market at the end of last year and went with the CZ 455VPT. I had an eye on this guy however. Never thought this kind of money would be ok to drop on a .22.

· A swamp dude
12,584 Posts
I think it’s a handsome rifle and would expect it to give you years of shooting pleasure. Nice choice.
...nothing can replace the class and warmth of a nice wood stock. Don
My sentiments exactly. Thats a traditional-looking beauty that should perform just like it looks...awesome!

Can this model be ordered with open sights? I'm old school where .22 rifles are concerned, and I'd just like the ability to have the open sight option.

· Banned
45,575 Posts
I think it’s a handsome rifle and would expect it to give you years of shooting pleasure. Nice choice.

While good synthetic stocks have their place in the scheme of things, nothing can replace the class and warmth of a nice wood stock. Don
Good post. Very nice .22

· Registered
3,947 Posts
Do yourself a favor and order a replacement sear from Scott Volquartsen.

The 77/xx triggers are universally awful from the factory.

The American's triggers can be tuned without parts to less than a pound and creep free. I'm not sure what about that you find bad. I will add I've never owned a 77/xx in .22 LR or .22 WMR that shot as well as my Americans. The only rimfire 77/xx rifles I ever had good accuracy from were the two .17HM2s and one .17HMR.

The 77/44 and 77/357 are better but still needed a new sear to make a decent trigger. The 77/22H was not at all accurate ~ my Handi Rifle in .22 Hornet shot better groups.

They are an attractive rifle though.

· Registered
386 Posts
There is no reason that a .22 rimfire should be of any lesser quality than any other rifle. I lusted for one of the Kimber SuperAmerica 22's (big buck$) back when they were offered. You will surely enjoy shooting it.

i wanted to buy American and have been repulsed of late at all the plastic stocked cheap crap on the gun shop racks. The trigger on the Ruger American is insulting and it feels like something from Harbor Freight. The CZ options were nice but I dropped the extra $$$ for the Ruger 77, had to order it, will be in on Wednesday. I have a Redfield 2X7 waiting View attachment 252053

· DEPLORABLE ME!
12,203 Posts
Looks like a nice rifle. I like the simplistic look of wood. Ruger can's seem to force themselves to make a left hand version. One of the upsides to the CZ.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.