GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
This is not a rumor in my case. I have a Glock 30SF. I understand that the 30S is built on an “SF” frame. As I understand it from the web, the slide to frame geometry is a little different in the SF models than the regular 30 in order to accommodate the shortening of the frame. In any event, my gun will not function with 200 grain lead SWC rounds. It is not a feeding problem but an ejection problem. .
I absolutely believe you, read of this issue with 'SWC bullets impeding extraction' in several GLock .45 ACP pistols over the years, which is why I never even tried the SWC profile....

Precision Bullets' 200 and 230 gr RNFP looks like 95% ball with the last .07" lopped off with a fairly modest rounded flat point; feeds great in everything, including a friend's Tommy Gun.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I have, love, and carry a Glock 30. My first Glock, first gun and I'll never part with it. It's still the gun I carry the most.

I've used TG but it's not my favorite in any caliber let alone 45. It's ok for reduced revolver loads. I don't like the small volume charge weights and the small difference between min and max charges. It burns hot, I don't like the recoil impulse and can pressure spike quick. It can be accurate and isn't position sensitive. If I need a fast powder I tend to use Bullseye, Red Dot or WST. WST is my favorite for target/plinking 45. It's clean, economical, the recoil impulse is awesome and I like how it smells! You won't be able to duplicate factory ball with it though. 4.2 gr. behind a 230 Lead gets me 725 fps out of my G30, 755 fps out of my Blackhawk 5.5" and 850 fps out if my 16" carbine. Unique, CFE Pistol and Power Pistol are good choices for standard power loads.

I have a 45 Shield and am still amazed at how well that little gun shoots. I thought it would be a handful but it isn't. I got it mainly as a smaller gun to carry while mountain biking.
Thx FFM!

·
Registered
235 Posts
My G21 is very tolerant. So much so I use it to shoot up anything that won't feed in any number of other 45 Auto guns I have owned. I bought some copper plated SWC's once and tried everything to get them to feed in any of my 45's, finally just loaded them up and shot them off in my G21. They weren't all that accurate anyway. :)

Quite a few years ago now, a frequent poster on these reloading forums and I (via PM) spent quite a while and quite a few rounds of testing with his G30, to finally get to an OAL that would feed reliably with 200gr LSWC's. He finally nailed it, but it was a slow process.
I am curious, what overall length seemed to improve function? I have a G30SF that doesn't like lead bullets, even round nose 230 grain. I haven't had the time to try and fix the problem, using cheap remanufactured round nose jacketed instead. In the good old bad old days, I loaded 200 grain SWC for my 1911 Colts all the way to the leade with a slightly reduced charge and head spaced off the shoulder of the bullet.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I am curious, what overall length seemed to improve function? I have a G30SF that doesn't like lead bullets, even round nose 230 grain. I haven't had the time to try and fix the problem, using cheap remanufactured round nose jacketed instead. In the good old bad old days, I loaded 200 grain SWC for my 1911 Colts all the way to the leade with a slightly reduced charge and head spaced off the shoulder of the bullet.
I can't remember what the dimension was that finally worked.

I tried to go back and see if the conversation via PM was still available, but it isn't, too many years ago. I believe the member who I worked on it with was "rebs". I have not seen him around the Reloading forums in quite a while, so he may not have even seen this thread. Maybe shoot him a PM and see if he still has the records on the loads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used to run TG in my old G21s. Cast 230s on top of 4.5 grains at 1.250" Chrono'd about 740 fps to make Major. TG is not the first choice for .45acp though, it would be 5 grains of W231, because of the lower density takes up more volume. Slower powders work better in .45acps.

This is the correct answer to your question. I've been using WW-231/HP-38 (same powder) for 40 years and have yet to find a powder that is better

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Well, this will be a different experience for me as my 19 will eat anything...
Glocks are at their best with plated Roundnose bullets. For powders I prefer Bullseye or Unique because those worked for me for 40 years.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Glocks are at their best with plated Roundnose bullets. For powders I prefer Bullseye or Unique because those worked for me for 40 years.
I am relatively new to the reloading game myself. I have found that using plated bullets in my Glock pistols is definitely less accurate than using either FMJ or Polymer coated heads with the exception of the Xtreme double plated bullets. Shooting from a bench to 25 yards has shown me that plated bullets are less accurate through the polygonal barrel than the jacketed rounds. A standard rifled barrel, I don't see as much of a difference.

Zero 185gr. JHP's are my choice for my Gen4-30 and Gen4-21 pistols. They work the best for me in the GSSF matches. I run 5.0gr Titegroup for the competitions and I will run down to 4.8gr Titegroup for practice ammo. I run the higher only to keep malfunctions to a minimum or maybe 1 round out of 1,000 in competition to give me trouble. I'm still in the armature class here in the northeast but have a couple of 1st. place finishes in my class with the Gen4 30 and 2nd. and 3rd. place finishes with both the 30 and 21, all in armature division of course.

As for the SWC heads, I've had good luck with my G 30 as mine will usually feed and eject them without difficulty. My G 21 maybe not so much.

...Ron

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I have been sorting .45 acp brass by lg & sm primer as I'll likely load lg and also have been sorting by head stamp. I have been loading my 9 with CCI primers with no issues loading or firing them.
My question : I recall something about some being harder and some softer; are there brands that performs best for .45 acp and what should I stay away from loading for a G30?
Thx

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've had no real issues with any primers that I can recall. Federal primers seem to fire in any condition and are sought after by those that run very light loads. I find myself that the type and amount of powder in the charge can cause problems.

In GSSF matches I used to use a light charge and would use the low ready stance. This would allow the powder charge of say 4.8gr. of Titegroup to fall to the front of the shell and have ignition issues on occasion. Now I use the compressed elbow stance and have no issues with rounds not igniting. After that change I raised the charge up to 5.0gr. just to be sure of no problems on the firing line.

Use the small primer brass for the competitions since you can't keep it anyway.

...Ron

61 - 78 of 78 Posts