Glock Talk banner

OK, I am going to buy a Glock 45 ACP...

5000 Views 77 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  spatin
I was thinking the 30S however it seems there is more recoil with that being lighter than the 30SF or the 30 gen 4 which is is essentially the same as the 30SF with a few enhancements.
Whichever one will be an edc and I will compete with it for practice and to gain competency.

My question now is about powder. I have a 43 & 19/4 and have only used TG to reload my practice and competition rounds due to the deal I got on it, and have a ton left... If TG is a top choice then fine however I don't want to use it just because I have so much if there is better..?
Opinions please...
Thanks in advance from G!
Reactions: friej
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

· Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Example of density, WST, Ramshot Comp are about the same burn rate as TG but both are 1.5x more loft, meaning they take up 1.5x the space in the case as the same charge of TG. Both are a liver grey color too, makes seeing the charge just easier. Yeah, yeah, I know, powder check die, blah, blah, I still visually verify each powder drop.
So taking up more space is good for performance or just being able to see the charge in the case easier?
Only 9 but I have been reloading for about three years so not brand new to it. What would make a soft shooting load for practice & competition and meter well in my 650?

· Registered
40,450 Posts
So taking up more space is good for performance or just being able to see the charge in the case easier?
Only 9 but I have been reloading for about three years so not brand new to it. What would make a soft shooting load for practice & competition and meter well in my 650?
Well generally both, but TG is supposed to be less position sensitive. If you like it keep using it, I just do not. I tried 1# years ago, shot it up & never bought more. Bullseye is about as bad for diff reasons; super dirty & small volume charges, but not the heat that TG puts out.
There are several other choices but loading data is skinny or non existent for powders I have substituted for 9mm & 40 minor loads, like WST, Ramshot Comp, RedDot/Promo, Clays. BTW, RedDot/Promo is just as cheap or cheaper then TG, more loft, very accurate with lead or coated lead. Ramshot Comp is kind of a sleeper too, cheap & there is loading data on line for it.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
I just left my barbershop my barber carries a G30 and always brags on it as the best of everything, I took my Shield and 2 mags of swc 200 gr, I was the last customer so I asked him go out back and lets shoot a few I got ammo. I gave him 5 200 gr swc's. He could not get 1 to chamber without dropping it in by hand and then the next round never fed, I took all and he shot them in my Shield. He never said a word then. This is the same as my G36 does every time. No issue as I shoot Fed 200 gr HP in it which it has been 100%.

· DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,230 Posts
I just left my barbershop my barber carries a G30 and always brags on it as the best of everything, I took my Shield and 2 mags of swc 200 gr, I was the last customer so I asked him go out back and lets shoot a few I got ammo. I gave him 5 200 gr swc's. He could not get 1 to chamber without dropping it in by hand and then the next round never fed, I took all and he shot them in my Shield. He never said a word then. This is the same as my G36 does every time. No issue as I shoot Fed 200 gr HP in it which it has been 100%.
That is what we have been saying because of the angle of the ramp all Glock 30 models and the G36 do not like SWC ammo. only pertains to those models. Yes some people can get them to work But then why go through all the trouble to find out what works. Unless that is your thing.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
Actually it isn't quite as simple, but load density is a factor in how efficient some powders work. With faster powders (like we have been discussing in this thread), most will work fine at any load density (how much the case is filled). As you move to slower powders load density becomes a bigger factor in performance (efficiency).

· Consummate Reloader
1,557 Posts
I use Bullseye with a 230 coated for a moderate 45 load, naturally, that works great in my 30S, 30, 41. I've given up on SWC for those same guns. My Colt wad gun however loves a LSWC.

I've found that AA5 works very well if you want a full power load. I was using HS-6 but I think AA5 is better.

I have used Tight Group and HP38 with 200gr RNFP coated and they work well but they do seem to give more of sharper recoil and are not as accurate as Bullseye.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
I tried I learned and adapted
my 36 is not a range toy anyway all it gets now is ball or 200gr Fed hp, I have shot almost 300 through my Shield and 36 with 100% reliability, I tried aluminum, steel cased and anything I could find just to see all good.

· Registered
3,625 Posts
Glocks are often rumored at not very tolerant of sharp shouldered SWC bullets, not so much with feeding issues, but during extraction, as often the shoulder catches the case of the round being extracted, causing stovepipes, etc... (many folks can defeat this by seating the shoulder about flush or almost flush with the case mouth, however...)

the RNFP bullets work great, however, and my Gen 3 GLock 21 requires either 4.8 gr of TG or 5.7 gr of 231 to make 840 fps with a 200 gr bullet. (For more leisurely steel plate/plinking loads at 740 fps, I use 4.0 gr of TG or 5.0 gr of 231)

· Registered
1,090 Posts
My main weapon in my G32 G2, as long as I can still get it, I carry Win Ranger T 2nd choice is Gold Dot, we did have some Black Hills at one time that was excellent but hard to acquire. Same when we had to carry 9mm. I am very quick to use WW Ranger or T version if available. That stuff will do the job.

· Registered
3,625 Posts
231 works great in .45 ACP, but was filthy by comparison compared to TG, both in light plinking loads and in Major PF loadings using 200 gr bullets. (Admittedly, the dirty guns or fired cases is not really a bother, just a casual obervation. But as TG costs about a dollar less per pound than HP38, that's quite a few extra reloads per 8 lb jug)

· Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Actually it isn't quite as simple, but load density is a factor in how efficient some powders work. With faster powders (like we have been discussing in this thread), most will work fine at any load density (how much the case is filled). As you move to slower powders load density becomes a bigger factor in performance (efficiency).
Thanks WW, would you mind a short explanation on the slower powders as noted above in bold?
Thx!

· Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I use Bullseye with a 230 coated for a moderate 45 load, naturally, that works great in my 30S, 30, 41. I've given up on SWC for those same guns. My Colt wad gun however loves a LSWC.

I've found that AA5 works very well if you want a full power load. I was using HS-6 but I think AA5 is better.

I have used Tight Group and HP38 with 200gr RNFP coated and they work well but they do seem to give more of sharper recoil and are not as accurate as Bullseye.
Is this due to being double base powders?

· Registered
1,090 Posts
In reference to 700x I bought it in the 12 lb kegs I liked it so much, clean, dropped perfect every time, easy to get. I loaded with a Star press then and still do so. Never had an issue. I have never had a Dillion.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.