Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking the 30S however it seems there is more recoil with that being lighter than the 30SF or the 30 gen 4 which is is essentially the same as the 30SF with a few enhancements.
Whichever one will be an edc and I will compete with it for practice and to gain competency.

My question now is about powder. I have a 43 & 19/4 and have only used TG to reload my practice and competition rounds due to the deal I got on it, and have a ton left... If TG is a top choice then fine however I don't want to use it just because I have so much if there is better..?
Opinions please...
Thanks in advance from G!

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I was thinking the 30S however it seems there is more recoil with that being lighter than the 30SF or the 30 gen 4 which is is essentially the same as the 30SF with a few enhancements.
Whichever one will be an edc and I will compete with it for practice and to gain competency.

My question now is about powder. I have a 43 & 19/4 and have only used TG to reload my practice and competition rounds due to the deal I got on it, and have a ton left... If TG is a top choice then fine however I don't want to use it just because I have so much if there is better..?
Opinions please...
Thanks in advance from IGG!
Just understand, if you decide you want to make nice round holes with those 200gr LSWC's. while possible with a Glock subcompact, the OAL is going to be REALLY fussy.

PS - reading about someone who enthusiastically proclaims they are getting their first 45 Auto handgun makes one feel really old. :(

·
Registered
37,587 Posts
TG is fine, I don't like it for a number of reasons, but it is fine for your needs.

·
Registered
37,587 Posts
Slower powders work better in .45acps.
Not really. I've been loading & shooting the 45acp for about 35yrs, well over 100K rds. It happily runs on faster powders like WST or Ramshot Comp or BE or RedDot, etc. I only go slower powders if trying to get +p loads.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just understand, if you decide you want to make nice round holes with those 200gr LSWC's. while possible with a Glock subcompact, the OAL is going to be REALLY fussy.

PS - reading about someone who enthusiastically proclaims they are getting their first 45 Auto handgun makes one feel really old. :(
Ok, so the 230gr will be easier to load/start with? Also don't feel aged... I shot 45 on the 101st Airborne Pistol team in 1974, so let's not discuss age...
:cool:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to run TG in my old G21s. Cast 230s on top of 4.5 grains at 1.250" Chrono'd about 740 fps to make Major. TG is not the first choice for .45acp though, it would be 5 grains of W231, because of the lower density takes up more volume. Slower powders work better in .45acps.
Thanks 9x45, this is the info I need and can learn from as I need to understand the "why"
Cheers!

·
Registered
24,236 Posts
My Glock 30 is very fussy about the OAL of 200gr SWC ammo.

I've got a Glock 21 that is really fussy about the overall length of 200gr SWC bullets.
I have another Glock 21 that just gobbles them up, regardless of the OAL.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Never a problem with hi-tek coated RN out of my G30 gen 3. As others noted, SWC can be a challenge. I've also found that my G30 didn't play well with loads that are too light (RSA or slide weight issue??), so I use a couple of tenths heavier charge (231) than I can get away with in my 1911s.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never a problem with hi-tek coated RN out of my G30 gen 3. As others noted, SWC can be a challenge. I've also found that my G30 didn't play well with loads that are too light (RSA or slide weight issue??), so I use a couple of tenths heavier charge (231) than I can get away with in my 1911s.
were the loads that wouldn't run it too light or had the gun just not been fired enough?

·
Registered
37,587 Posts
I'm not married to TG. Why do you not like it?
You can search but short form;
burns ridiculously hot
very small charge per weight & dark color makes visual verification challenging

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
were the loads that wouldn't run it too light or had the gun just not been fired enough?
Just too light for my pistol (at that point it had at least 2k rounds through it). It could have been unique to this gun (I'm sure every pistol has its own "personality"), but increasing the powder charge eliminated function issues. Also, perhaps TG has different burn characteristics that would minimize such a problem (??).

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Just too light for my pistol (at that point it had at least 2k rounds through it). It could have been unique to this gun (I'm sure every pistol has its own "personality"), but increasing the powder charge eliminated function issues. Also, perhaps TG has different burn characteristics that would minimize such a problem (??).
I think that is a very common experience with W231. Guns are less sensitive when running at closer to max.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
My Glock 30 is very fussy about the OAL of 200gr SWC ammo.

I've got a Glock 21 that is really fussy about the overall length of 200gr SWC bullets.
I have another Glock 21 that just gobbles them up, regardless of the OAL.
My G21 is very tolerant. So much so I use it to shoot up anything that won't feed in any number of other 45 Auto guns I have owned. I bought some copper plated SWC's once and tried everything to get them to feed in any of my 45's, finally just loaded them up and shot them off in my G21. They weren't all that accurate anyway. :)

Quite a few years ago now, a frequent poster on these reloading forums and I (via PM) spent quite a while and quite a few rounds of testing with his G30, to finally get to an OAL that would feed reliably with 200gr LSWC's. He finally nailed it, but it was a slow process.

·
Registered
37,587 Posts
Thank you fredj338!
Example of density, WST, Ramshot Comp are about the same burn rate as TG but both are 1.5x more loft, meaning they take up 1.5x the space in the case as the same charge of TG. Both are a liver grey color too, makes seeing the charge just easier. Yeah, yeah, I know, powder check die, blah, blah, I still visually verify each powder drop.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.