OK, how about this one? Stir fry vegetables and shrimp?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Neal, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

I usually cook this in a no stick skillet with olive oil and add smoked sausage. Season it with the standard seasoned salt and lemon pepper. Yesterday I bought some shrimp to try with it. Any other suggestions on seasoning? Come to think of it, sometimes I add a little Frank's Hot Sauce to spice it up a bit. If there are any other ideas, shout them out. :)

2. DigiDuckie

DigiDuckie Strapped Duck

Sounds like you need a trip to a restaurant that serves Mongolian BBQ.

I personally would possibly add in bean sprouts since they typically aren't include with most stir fry vegetables. Minced garlic and eat it all with white rice. Kim-chee if I has some on hand.

3. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

I have been to a Mongolian bar and loved it! I put the raw meat and vegetables on a plate and picked a sauce(which I know nothing about) and handed to the cook. He stir fried it on a huge griddle and put it on a clean plate and handed it back to me. It was heaven on a plate. ;f

4. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

I marinade the shrimp in my standard: 1 clove of minced garlic, two tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 dashes of white pepper, shot of whiskey, and tablespoon of sugar. I get sesame oil hothothot in a wok, then throw in the shrimp, stir fry to about 60% pink, throw in sliced onion, cook until onions brown, and throw in whatever vegetation I have (carrots, bok choy, celery, bell pepper, etc.) with another tablespoon of soy sauce. Lid goes on for about five minutes, while I mix ~1 tablespoon of corn starch with water in a buttercup. Lid up, corn starch/water in, stir around a bit, and lid on for another five, or until the vegetables are how I likes `em.

If I'm cooking for presentation (not often), I like carrots for color, celery for crunch, and bok choi for generic green vegetables.

5. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Try adding some sesame oil, rice vinegar and sake to your sauce.

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

the spices are "Powdered"cinnamon,garlic, and ginger.
    (the powdered form works best here.

The hard part is to add just enough of each that you can not taste one flavor over the others.

If the shrimp are large cut up to aid cooking. Sprinkle some of the spice mix on the shrimp and stir.

Cut up your vegetables in to small equal sized pieces.

Onions,celery red or green pepers, broccoli(peel the stems and slice them too)sliced carrot and what ever else you feel like throwing it.

Heat your pan hot.

Put some oil in it and when it is hot, add the seasoned shrimp stir-keep them moving.

When they are transluscent take them out of the pan.

Add a little more oil, when it's hot, add your vegetables to the pan
    add some more of the spice mix and stir until cooked but still crisp.

Add back the shrimp and stir.

at this point add some Sesame oil,soy sauce,2tablespoons of ketchup,1tablespoon vineager, a few shakes of hot sauce and stir-it's done

the same spice mix and vegetables and different meat make a whole new taste.

If your vegi mix makes lots of juice you can thicken it (mix corn starch with
    water)

7. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

I'm using frozen grocery store stir fry vegetables and frozen shrimp that have been boiled before they were bagged. I think I may try adding some of your ingredients. We don't have any soy sauce in the house. I wonder if worcestshire sauce can be substituted?

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I use Costco's frozen stir-fry mix often my self.
    I add celery and onions fresh to the mix.
    the wil cook at about the same rate as frozen.

Frozen shrimp I would thaw in a bowl of cold water then spice, bring up to hot in the pan and remove to do the veggies.

If you don't like soy sauce no biggie.

But do get the sesame oil from the Chinese section of grocery store and keep it in the fridge after opening,it goes on at the end because it is for flavor not cooking.

Hint on the spice mix use the least amount of cinnamon too much of it will taste like dirt.

This should give you an authentic taste. Serve with plain rice on the side.

Let us know how it turns out. lethal