close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ok, how about Canon quality?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Santa CruZin, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin RIP Mr. Mayor

I give up on my Sony digital camera (DSC-P1). It's a lemon, and Sony customer service (or total lack thereof) can kiss my consumer butt.

Now I'm getting interested in the Canon PowerShot S70 digital camera to replace the Sony hunk o junk:

[​IMG]

Here's a review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons70/

Anyone here use a Canon digital camera? Opinions? Customer service experience stories?

2. Dark_IT_Papa

Dark_IT_Papa

I have a Canon S50. No complaints - great picture quality!

Go for it!!

3. Maiden71

Maiden71 Metal Member

The sooner you can get away from Sony the better. ;)

4. UtahGlocker

UtahGlocker

I've used many Canon digital cameras. Canon cameras have great picture quality and I've had good experiences with Canon technical support. Though you might want to wait for the 1DS mkII. ;f

5. Santa CruZin

Is that the $8,000 16.7 megapixel camera body? Heck, why not get one for each lens in the bag? :cool:

6. JMag

JMag

Canon is top-drawer in quality, IMHO. I have owned several cams and digcams made by those folks.

Sony is pushed HARD at the electronics stores as the salespeople are incentivized more heavily, as I understand it, to sell and hawk Sony.

7. Santa CruZin

A bump for the night time crowd...

;d

8. JinLA

JinLA

Got a Canon S45 4MP.
    I've put it through heck for the past 17 months.
    The symbols on the mode selector are a bit scratched off (just gotta remember what goes where), the finish dented in a couple places, but the pictures still look amazing.

I'm saving for a Canon digital SLR. ;f

9. Specks

Specks

I've used an S230 digital elf for a little over a year and love it for it's compactness and ease of use. I'm no photo expert, but I think its great.

10. Fast Shadow

Fast Shadow Victory is mine

I'm happy with my Canon D-SLR.

11. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Satisfied with my Canon A80.

^c

gman67

12. saluki9

saluki9

I have both an SD110 and a Powershot G5. Both have worked flawlessly.

13. Dragline

Dragline

My film bodies are Canon, EOS 1n as are all my lenses.
    In terms of digital what I have ranges from the lowly little 1.3MP A10 (which is the best $100 I ever spent on a camera) mid range P&S G3, and DSLR 1D (which is simply a magnificent piece of equipt.)

Several newspapers I know of around the country have had their entire photo staff change over (at considerable expense) from Nikon to Canon. That right there should tell you something.

Just watch the photographers at any major sporting event and see how many more white lenses (Canon) you see vs. any others. It's not even close.

14. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I've had several digital cameras, and the only ones worth a darn were the Canons - they seem to have a MUCH better handle on color managment and image quality than anyone else. I'm about to ditch my Minolta 3.4mp Dimage Xi (cute form factor, terrible pictures), in favor of one of the subcompact Canons.

I've strayed for the last time - my SLR bodies are Canon, and I'm going to keep to Canons for digital from now on - the pix are just better.

(note that for regular film I think Canons are easier to use, but not notably better image quality than Nikon - but I'm more likely to get the shot if I'm not fiddling with 27 different buttons - Canon has Nikon beat six ways on ease-of-use, IMHO.)

15. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

16. TA Dave

TA Dave

I've used my Sony DSC-P71 for 3 years (3.2 Meg) and it's been great. However, A month ago I bought a Canon Digital Rebel and gave the Sony away...

The Canon is Awesome, in every respect. I've used a Canon Elan film camera for about 10 years, so I already had a collection of lenses to choose from... ;)

Just get the most Meg's you can afford and you will be happy.

17. Glockman67

Glockman67 #29 Supporter

Played with the Canon G6 last weekend - DAYUM!

That thing is one serious powerful camera.

If you can't spring for the Digi Rebel, get the G6, you won't be dissapointed.

gman67

18. Glock-und-spiel

Glock-und-spiel

I have owned canon products for 30 years. They have never let me down. I own several Canon film cameras from a Model P rangefinder (1959) to an original F1 (1970s) to a Eos In. If you see a sporting event look for all the white long lenses, those guys are using Canons. All that said I also have many Nikons (old ones) and a couple of Leicas (I am still hoping for a digital camera worthy of Leica) .............Maybe the M8...............

Dwight

19. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

The only thing better than a Canon Digital camera is a Canon film camera.

I've owned a Digital Elph S110 for a couple years now and it has never had any issues even after being in several countries and in a ziplock bag while kayaking. I sort of like my EOS-10D as well based on image quatily and all the other typical stuff but it falls short of the EOS 1N-RS film camera occupying the space in the bag next to it.

20. AZ ERIC

AZ ERIC

I've been using Canon products since junior high school. My first camera was a AE-1. I've never had problems with their stuff so far. I recently got a digital Rebel for my first digital camera and really surprised with the quality of shoots. I'm curious how the plastic body will hold up. If you don't mind a larger camera with the ability to change lens and pay more money, that's a great camera. I got mine for $970 and that comes with a Lexar 1 GB 80X card and $130 rebate and 18-55mm lens.

I got that camera mainly for my wife and to keep her away from my EOS 1V.