OIS in Grand Rapids

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Bushido5150, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

Going into PT yesterday we hear the call for this... they haven't cleared the officer yet but they are saying it looks good.

I am surprised by the lady on the suspects moped and the comments by the locals....they were actually positive!!:wow:

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=119635&catid=14

Armed man killed in shooting involving Grand Rapids officer

Lambrini Lukidis Chris Zoladz

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) - Grand Rapids Police say an officer killed a man who pulled out a gun during a foot chase. The shooting happened around 4:30 p.m. Thursday in the 1700 block of Center Avenue near Ann Street NE.
    Grand Rapids Police Chief Kevin Belk says a 33-year-old man and a woman passenger were on a moped. After the officer pulled the moped over for a traffic violation, he discovered the man was operating the vehicle without a driver's license.
    "The cop had a hold of his hand or his arm but he wiggled out and took off running," said witness Deb Moll.
    Once the foot chase ensued Moll says the officer followed the suspect next to her home and a neighbor's, and a few seconds later Moll says she heard several shots.
    Another witness, Ronald Danneffel also reported hearing multiple shots, "Five or six shots is what I heard, and I told my wife I think that was gunshots so I stuck my head out and then I saw officers running up between two houses."
    The suspect was cornered and could not get over a fence.
    "He then turned toward the officer with the handgun in his hand, raised it, the officer at that time fearing for his life, firing at the guy multiple times," Chief Belk said.
    Chief Belk says according to the officer, the officer told the man to drop his weapon several times. Police spoke with the passenger on the moped, her story matched that of the officer. According to police she also heard the officer tell the suspect to drop his weapon several times before shooting.
    It is not confirmed if the suspect fired his handgun. Chief Belk says officers recovered a nine-millimeter handgun from the scene.
    The suspect was pronounced dead at Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital. He was also wanted for violations of his parole and had a previous conviction for armed robbery.
    The Grand Rapids Police Department's internal affairs unit is now part of the investigation to determine if the officer followed procedure.
    By Lambrini Lukidis

2. COBRA90GT

COBRA90GT

Good guys = 1
    Bad guys = 0

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Good news for a change.

4. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

The radio traffic audio is available if you dig around for it

But, what's really interesting is that Chief Belk took this as an opportunity to talk about the state's ongoing efforts to release prisoners early to reduce costs.

I was surprised to see he talked about the issue after the shooting. I'm glad he's talking about what the state's doing, hopefully a lot of people hear his message. I think this incident shows pretty plainly that the risks to the public and officers are very real and very dangerous.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Shooting-blamed-on-state-budget-crunch

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Who-is-Gabriel-Hood

Sucks he put the officer in a position where he'd have to take a life, but judging from this, it sounds like that officer saved countless people in the area from being future victims of this guy's actions.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  6. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Every time one of our guys has something like this happen to him, we should go kick the **** out of a defense atty.

Just sayin'.

7. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

One of the guys in my squad was in the dispatch when the call came out. He said the audio was pretty nuts....

I am just glad that the Grand Rapids community is continuing its support of its officers, that is has been showing since we lost Officer Koz. I am pretty sure I won't be working here but its great to see..

8. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

I remember the community turned out pretty well, along with the media, for Officer Kozminski. They even cover the benefits for his daughter when they come up.

I was working at home with a radio on for background noise when that went down, it was very chilling to hear dispatch call for him and get no response.

I thought it was tragic to see another officer let go after the incident as well, to lose two guys because of one jackhole. Another reason Michigan needs the death penalty, for 'people' (and i use that term loosely) who decide to ambush and kill an officer.