Oiling the finish of a Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mr00jimbo, Feb 19, 2010.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

Hi all,

I never oiled the outside finish of my Glock when I got it, I figured hey, might as well now.
    Will any run of the mill gun oil to prevent rust do? Or should I say F it and leave it?
    Thanks

2. den888

den888

When I clean mine after range outings, I clean the slide with CLP, and then wipe it off (too slick for me). I usually don't leave oil or CLP on the slide...

3. Zexel

Zexel

Just leave it. I clean mine every few hundred rounds and mine still looks pretty new. Since I got my CB Supertuck, the Kydex is showing some wear on it, but besides that it's all good.

4. voyager4520

voyager4520

I oil the outside of the slide with Hoppe's oil then wipe it relatively dry, but when wiping dry I don't rub too hard because I don't want to rub the finish off over time. I don't do it too often either. I also take special care to make sure the oil doesn't get onto the breech face or into the internals of the slide. Oil on the breech face can contaminate primers of chambered rounds, causing them not to fire properly or at all. Oil in the internals of the slide can collect more gunk and debris than normal, causing all sorts of malfunctions.

It's fine if you don't do it. With the Tennifer treatment on the metal underneath the finish, it won't rust anyway. At least not in your lifetime.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  5. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

I clean the ribbing at the back and that's about all. The finish is fine clean and dry, it doesnt need oil for proection, anything more just makes it slimy and slippery to me

6. Glock20Power

Glock20Power

I use silicone cloth whipes, gives is the oiled look without the oil mess.

7. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

does it need to be oiled? i just clean it with alcohol and buff it with a sock. should I be oiling it?

8. RYNOCG201

RYNOCG201

+1 Hoppes Silocone Gun and Reel Cloth

9. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

You're never gonna "rub the finish off" of a Glock slide by just applying a bit of oil and rubbing lightly. After cleanings, I apply a very thin coat of RemOil, wipe it dry. That should be just fine. Glock slides don't rust anyways; it just gives the slide a nice sheen.

10. cciman

cciman

I wash my G19 with a toothbrush and Dawn after every session. Dry with paper towels, lots of shaking then air dry. Then only oil the recommended points. Motor oil for lube.

I have been doing this since 1998.

No rust so far. Periodically completely disassemble to check.

That surface coating (black) is not the Tenifer.

You do not need to oil the surface of the gun. If you are truly anal, try car polish on the outer surface, better than oil.

11. ju993rnaut

ju993rnaut

Since 1998? You must be using that high mileage stuff. :rofl:

I wipe mine with a little rem oil every time its cleaned. It makes for a cleaner looking gun, May not do anything, but it dosent hurt either.

12. xm21

xm21

I never put oil on the outside of a Glock slide and cannot figure out why anyone would.

13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Just wipe it of with what you have, wipe off any excess.

14. 04LS1GTO

04LS1GTO

I used to wipe a little CLP on my slides or use a rod and reel cloth, but in my opinion it left the slide a little too slippery for my tasted. Now all I do is clean serrations with a toothbrush and maybe a little alcohol.

15. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Wipe some Break Free CLP on it, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wipe it off. It will leave a nice shiney finish that is not slippery, and a little added rust protection.

16. 125K9

125K9

Although they really don't need it, I go over the outside of my G19/22 with Eezox. Got used to doing that with my SIGs so it's just carried over to the Glocks. That, or CorrosionX works great.

17. h&kbama

h&kbama

Rem oil or Slick 50 outdoor products oil will do the trick, but as previously mentioned, Glocks really don't need any help with corrosion. The tenifer finish on pistol is just fine on its own. I cean the exterior of my Glocks with Hoppes #9, then wipe it off afterwards. Hope this helps.

18. smokin762

smokin762

I bought my G23 new back in the early 90’s. Since buying it I have used it as my main Home Defense weapon, for practice at the range, some IDPA Competitions, I have used it in Gun Safety Classes and now it is in my CCW rotation of firearms that I carry and this spring it will be used in the Practical Pistol Competitions at my Club. I am also on my second set of Night Sights.

I have always wiped oil on the outside surface of all of my firearms. I used Remington Rem Oil for years and I never had a problem but I feel it dissipates faster than CLP’s do, so I switched to Breakfree. I clean my carry gun after every trip to the range so, after it is cleaned I wipe it down with CLP inside and out and I wipe down the outside with paper towels to clean off excess oil. I feel lightly wiping it down with oil keeps it looking nice for a long time. I prefer to take care of the things that I own.

[​IMG]

19. WarMachine

WarMachine

Unless you have some deep gouge in your slide, the thing isn't going to rust. I oil the internals, and leave the outside alone for the most part.

I guess it helps to give you that "sheen" if that matters to you...