close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Oil workers carrying rifles on private land. illegal?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by paulito, Nov 19, 2002.

1. paulito

paulito

i was out at my cousin's land about a week ago during black powder season and i heard some noise coming form the gate. i got out of my stand and went to investigate. i snuck around the east side of the gate and tried to be as quiet as i could. we i saw what was going on, i spotted two oil workers carrying rifles and walking down the dirt road on our private land. i sat down and watched them walk off leaving the truck at the entrance. i waited for about ten minutes and then called my cousin. he told me there was supposed to nobody around there for about 3 miles. when my cousin bought his land, he didn't get the mineral rights, so legally he has to let the owner of the mineral rights on his land at any time. i got his license plate number and waited for them to come back. they didn't shoot at anything, but they were headed right up where my tree stand was. they came back and got in the truck and drove to the oil rig about fifty yards from my stand. i snuck back around to my stand and waited for a while. i heard them walking through the woods and i wasn't about to get shot, so i just went the opposite direction of them and got in my truck. i drove right past them and they tried to hide their rifles. i told them i had three brothers in the woods stalking deer and to stay at the oil rigs or else they'll probably get shot at because my brothers are crazy like that. i don't have but one brother and he wouldn't be caught dead hunting anything.

were those workers considered poachers or can i even do anything about it?

paulito

2. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

You should call the game warden. Let the law deal with it.

BTW, threatening them was stupid and can get you into some legal problems.

3. Hal9mm

Hal9mm

sounded more like a friendly warning than a threat. "like I have a couple drunk brothers hunting out there so you better watch it."

4. Arbee

Arbee

Could be taken either way, depending on your tone of voice, inflection and body langauge. Regardless, avoiding any confrontation and calling the Game Warden sounds like the best thing to do.

5. paulito

paulito

i misplaced my emphasis on the illegal question. i was wondering if the oil workers carring rifles on private land and walking around the woods was illegal, not what i said.

paulito

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

paulito,

I can tell you this. In Oklahoma, on the ranch i cowboyed on, and the other ranch's brodering us there. We all had oil/gas wells on the land. I can tell you with all assurance, that if i man is leasing the land, "he" has a right to hunt on it". if a man "owns' the land, (no brainer), he has a right to hunt on it. But the 'oil rig workers', that are there regulary working and doing maitanance etc.... "have no right what soever to be there." Period!

There is a difference between, "the guy with the mineral rights," and 'the oil field workers,' and 'the guy that leases.'

I know that here in Okla/Tx, even the guy with the "mineral rights"
    cannot be hunting on your land, 'unless he is leasing' that portion of your land. And he probably would not have the mineral rights in the first place if he did not own or lease some portion of said land, or a deal was made through some other contract etc.

Bottom line in all my carrying on here is this... "if this is your cousin's land", and these guys do not lease it, and are "oil field hands" They (at least where i come from), "got NO RIGHT, on your land"!

We had this trouble on the ranch once before, i was in a tree stand with a 444 marlin, the oil field hand walked right under me, and i already had the muzzle pointing in a downward position anyway. I let him get right under the muzzle and i said...."HEY!" Well, he about had a heart attack.... when he looked up and saw the giant hole pointing at him, i said in a pleasant, yet business sort of way, "who are you, and what are you doing here?"..He said.."I must be lost"
    And then he took off through the tamarack's like a scolded cat! :)

You see, him and some others had been keeping their eyes peeled while out there on the rig.. etc.

That's more than likely what your guys did as well...
    Game warden?, that is fine, i'm all for it!

But in a 'remote area' like ranchland in the panhandle of Oklahoma, you end up with dead calves from road hunters driving 3 hours from the city, 'and' nit wit's that are to lazy and mean to truly hunt. They just want to kill.

So, you have to sorta take care of things yourself out there, and out here as well, in West Tx. If you do it right, your in the right, so don't worry about it. Post the land, and keep it free from intruders.
    Call the game warden and let him know what is going on.. he will be glad to come out and 'spy out the land.' but, don't be afraid to run folks off either. Just Use common sense, and be firm. It's your land man!

CanyonMan

7. Arbee

Arbee

I think CanyonMan is right when it comes to large ranches out in the boonies. But if you are talking about 40 acres near town, then I would lean a bit more toward letting the game waren deal with it, especially since you got a license plate. Also check your local and state laws. Some states have really weird requirements regarding posting. For example, I think in Minnesota you have to post No Hunting, No Fishing and No Tresspassing all on each sign. If you don't then you are giving permission to do whatever you left out.

8. paulito

paulito

There is a difference between, "the guy with the mineral rights," and 'the oil field workers,' and 'the guy that leases.'

~~~~~~
    thanks for the input. no, there is nobody leasing the land. only family is allowed to hunt out there. that's it, not even friends. the owner of the mineral rights has never been allowed out there to do anything else than oil rig work. my cousin has had some problems in the past with oil workers, but you see he's in africa right now. he ran three guys off his land about five years ago. i'm not sure if those are the same people as the ones out there again or not. i'll give my game warden a call and see what he says.

paulito;Q

9. smeet5150

smeet5150 Southern Son

who says these guys were hunting?? they were probably carrying the rifles for protection. I know I hate being out in the woods without a firearm.

10. paulito

paulito

i go walking around on private land i don't own during deer season with a rifle no reason all the time. i'm sure they were just checking it and making sure all the bad guys were gone. you know, just in case superman and batman didn't catch them.

paulito;g

11. mike from philly

mike from philly

They are poachers and you should have called the cops/game warden. Most mineral leases only allow activities on the surface property neccessary to extract the minerals. They have broad rights in that regard. For example they could move your house to get at the oil, of course that is an extreme.

If I was you, I'd call the oil company that hired the workers and complain. Tell them that you consider this a breach of the lease agreement and that they need to make this right. They are responsible for the actions of their contractors. Since their contractors are engaged in unlawful behavior, so is the company. Thus, you could get a court order terminating the lease. That should stop this from happening. BTW most oil companies forbid their employees/contractors to bear arms, regardless of the neccessity. Don't waste time with the contractor, go right to the oil company.

12. paulito

paulito

i just got a hold of my uncle and he's going to talk to the contractor. right now he's looking for the actual lease papers to see if he might of overlooked the point about bearing arms. he's pretty hacked off about this. he just got out of the hospital so i don't know how long it's going to take him to find it.

no, it's not 40 acres just out of town. it's just under 500 acres about 25 miles from the nearest gas station. there is a house that's about five miles down the road, but a bunch of crackheads live there so i don't talk to them ever.

paulito ;)