close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Oil life monitors...do you trust them?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ClydeG19, Jun 18, 2017.

1. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

I've always changed my oil every 3500 miles. I got a 2014 vehicle a few months ago and in the manual it says to do an oil change about every 7500 miles. I've driven it about 4k miles and the oil life monitor still says 66%.

It's a little unnerving for me to let the car go that long. Has anyone had problems letting the car determine when it needs an oil change? The oil looks used but really dark yet.

196series likes this.
  2. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I have 184,000 miles on a 2008 Malibu LT with a 3.6 V6. I have relied on the Oil Life Monitor since new. At 5,000 miles I had the first oil change (before the monitor said I needed it), and have since been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil with Mobil 1 oil filters. Last oil change at 180,000 miles I switched to the Mobil 1 high mileage engine synthetic oil. I have had zero problems with this engine and it still runs strong. It is more expensive but cheap engine insurance.

3. Jon_R

Jon_R

Generally vehicles can go longer. 7500 is probably pretty conservative. The monitor is not doing any analysis of the oil just the computer guessing based on whatever factors it considers. Probably miles, speeds, temps, stop and go traffic, etc..

To answer the question I follow the percentage but I also use amsoil in the car and do the change pretty close to 0% and the oil generally looks fine. Usually runs me about 50-60 bucks a change doing it myself.

LEO/Dad and sixgun2 like this.
  4. mildot

mildot

I have one in my Ford Explorer, been using it for 3yrs now, my only "cravat" is that I use synthetic oil. There was a long and fairly detailed discussion with "end users" and factory folks on the Ford forum. The computer manages and monitors all the engines conditions and adjusts the oil life accordingly. Given the new "technology" in motors, I don't think the standard "5000" mile oil change is relevant anymore. I get about 10000kms or roughly 6000 miles on average between oil changes. YMMV. Cheers

5. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

All new model car manufacturers subscribe to the same thinking. Research in newer chemicals an additives combined with better metallurgical properties of the bearings make it possible now. Few things to keep in mind. What percentage of your driving is highway/ local. Mostly paved roads or gravel. Envirement around you such as the summer/winter air temps. Quality of oil also makes a difference between standard an synthetic. My F-150 holds 7.3 qrts of oil an the manual says I'm good for 8000 miles between an if I use synthetic I'm good for 10 thousand miles. You'll be good to go.

Bill Keith and LEO/Dad like this.
  6. Adub

Adub

I have not. But I have observed bad results when not changing oil as frequently as the system recommends.

7. handyman

handyman

Every 5000 miles oil change and rotate. It works and easy for people to remember. Not a fan of them.

10or45, Caver 60, Maxx702 and 3 others like this.
  8. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

On my F150 the recommended change interval is 7,500 miles but I change it at 5,500. You can always send a oil sample out and have it analyzed for piece of mind if you want, it only costs $25. They can tell if you are wasting money by changing it too soon or waiting too long. As John said on just about all vehicles all the computer is providing is a best guess based on how you drive, temps, etc.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

9. Agonizer

Agonizer .

I have a 2013 Ford F150. (5.0 V8)

I change oil when the monitor tells me to. This means usually at about 10,000 miles. This change interval is only good if you run full synthetic oil.

If you change oil more frequently, you are wasting money.

OGW, Kentucky Shooter and sixgun2 like this.
  10. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

I used to change my oil every 5000 miles because it was easy to remember but now rely on the car's built in reminder.

When was the last time you heard of someone having to get a ring or valve job? Even vehicles owned by people that totally neglect routine maintenance hold up much better now than they did 40 years ago. I still see an occasional car obviously burning oil but it is pretty rare these days.

Caver 60, treg, RetMil and 4 others like this.
  11. tags

tags Yes, I am a lady

I'm in the same boat my 2014 model will sometimes go in excess of 8000-9000 miles before the oil change indicator comes on... this is definitely not natural for me. I just let it tell me though as I really have found over the years when I have trouble with a vehicle it's almost never the internal components of the motor that are the problem. I'm just using normal conventional oil and changing at the car's beckoning. Feels weird...

12. Agonizer

Agonizer .

I wouldn't use conventional oil and go that long.

What does the owners manual recommend?

Caver 60 likes this.
  13. DonD

DonD

I have two GM cars both with Corvette or Corvette derived engines, a 2009 Pontiac G8GT and the successor to it and the GTO, a Chevy SS.

The SS's algorithym is newer and all new GM cars oil life monitor (OLM) will tell you to change the oil after a year even if it is never driven and sits in the garage.

I've never bought a used car and change the oil at 500 miles after purchase. I have always used synthetic oil and despite all that and never abusing the cars, I simply can't get my head around to running a car for a year on an oil fill. I generally change the oil at 8 mo or so no matter what the OLM says. Very cheap insurance for the most expensive part of your car. Don

Toby196 and janice6 like this.
  14. redrick

redrick

I agree that you don't need to change your oil as much as you use too . I remember working for my dad in the 70's and you changed your oil every 3000 miles .

I change my own oil and I know this is over kill , but I change my oil every 5000 miles and use Mobile 1 . It is just easy for me to keep up with and I don't drive that much so it gets changed about every 7 to 8 months . My uncle uses the used oil in his garage stove .

Caver 60 and DonD like this.
  15. moeman

moeman

Changing oil at 3500 miles is like trying to hit your car with a buggy whip to make it go faster.

HarlDane and Paul53 like this.
  16. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

They take into account driving habits, start ups, short trips, idle time, etc. They work, and the last half of life goes much faster on average than the first half. Keep an eye on it, but don't obsess. My Mini would go 18K on my driving habits, but I wouldn't. My Toyota would go around 12K on the same habits but just shy of 10K after they changed some.
    Just use good quality stuff and change it at 7500 miles, the days of the 3K change are long past, and may not have been necessary even then. The oil additive packages, filters, and engine efficiency are far better than in the past.

Toby196 likes this.
  17. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I don't. I usually change mine before it comes. I've had it come on a couple of times on my truck and my Suburban if I've been doing a lot of heavy towing through the mountains, but that's about it.

18. rogn

rogn

Back in the 70's when I was working on heavy trucks, I would send oil out for analysis at 10K and we could invariably run 25K with good results. We would reassign the over the road units at about 3-500K because the rest of the truck would be aging out. This was using DeloRPM dinosaur oil. I started using Amsoil in my personal vehicles about '75 and coupled with random oil analysis ran 25K. Remember when most of these standards became established most passenger cars needed a valve job about 40-50K miles. Oils and engines are not the same as they once were. I now use Mobil 1 in all units including inboard engines. I got tired of Amsoils pyramid marketing scheme.

janice6 likes this.
  19. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

I ignore them completely, use a piece of tape on windshield just like 30 years ago. :dancing:
    Stuck in the past, I change the oil every 3,000 miles, wasting $$ with a smile on my face.
    I know what people are going to say ;) as I've been through this before.
    I don't need no oil analysis its about muh feels!!!
    Could it go longer? Maybe, but going longer would bug my aged mind.
    How much is peace of mind worth? "Cheaper to change the oil than the engine"
    I can change the oil & filter myself with full synthetic for about $30
    Oh yea, Vavoline does offer a guarantee, so there is that:
    https://valvoline.promo.eprize.com/engineguarantee/

I think I've covered the typical insults in advance. :dancingbanana:

20. Anicius Julianus

Anicius Julianus

what do you do if your 'oil life monitor' breaks?
    what do you do if your tire pressure sensor breaks?
    I don't trust most gadgets on cars - I check all fluids, pressure, ... on my vehicles weekly.