close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Oil flters

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Lone Wolff, May 7, 2006.

1. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

Where do all buy your oil filters? Dealership, online, other?

I think I've found a fairly decent price online but wasn't sure if there were other sources that I wasn't aware of besides the obvious ones.

2. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

I cross referenced mine (Kawasaki ZX10R) and buy the corresponding Mobil-1 (M110) filter at Autozone for around $5.
    A better filter at half the cost of OEM.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You can buy it either on-line or at the dealership. Oil filters don't cost that much, so it doesn't matter. However, I do recommend do some research on aftermarket oil filter.

On the BMW, I have yet to find an aftermarket filter that's cheaper than OEM. But on the Aprilia, I found an aftermarket oil filter that's 60% of the OEM's price and has higher oil flow rate too.

4. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I have a link on my computer at work for cross referencing filters, if I think of it tomorrow I will post it. I just bought a reusable stainless filter for the WR450 and I am looking forward to seeing how it works out. The WR only takes a quart and a half of oil so I will be changing it often. On the Raptor I am using a Bosch filter which is only $5 compared to $18 for the OEM and the Bosch is better I'm sure.

5. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

My OEM is $13, but the manual says to change it every 3rd oil change so in the end it isn't that expensive.

7. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Do you wipe your butt after 3 poops, or after each one?
    What's the point of changing oil, only to run it right back through a contaminated filter?

8. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

....not a correct analogy, but funny.

9. Dandapani

Dandapani

The suggested change interval is 3K miles. The oil doesn't get that "dirty", but rather breaks down in that interval. The manufacturer knows what works and doesn't or it wouldn't have put it in the manual.

10. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

Sure they want you to buy engine parts/buy a new machine. Oil filters have bypass valves in them. After so much gunk get in them the valve closes and oil doesn't even go through the filter any more. Motorcycle engines get real dirty, real fast. Bottom line if ya like tha bike, change it. Also from my personal experience, if your riding hard or racing, stay away from Fram. They seem to filter too good.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The oil filter may not need to be changed with every oil change, but it's not that expensive either and since that you're in the general area, why not change out the filter too?

12. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I agree. I'm anticipating riding 4k per year in the midwest. At the end of the year last year, I went to synthetic oil and changed the oil filter. I'll change both annually. It's a small price to pay for longevity. I'd just try to find the filter you want at the price you want to pay. I have no preferences regarding filters. I do know that the OEM filter I bought was rather pricy.