Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Novice
1,611 Posts
In my experience an oil filter wrench is only needed for that first oil change after you buy the car. That first change can be a biatch getting the filter off.

After that it’s hand tightening with fingers only. No more need for the wrench. I did just buy a new breaker bar for my new 4Runner to get that filter housing off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Navy Veteran
5,540 Posts
Related:

My wife's Accord is at 40%. I changed last October. About 6K miles on od. Honda recommends changing at 15%.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Related:

My wife's Accord is at 40%. I changed last October. About 6K miles on od. Honda recommends changing at 15%.
What do those percentages mean? I go by mileage or time, depending on the situation.

·
NRA Life Member
67,038 Posts
I prefer these, so I can use a ratchet:

I just use K&N Wrench-Off filters on motorcycles, so I don't need a filter wrench.

BTW, they make those for cars and trucks, too, if you don't want to mess with filter wrenches.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I just jab a screwdriver through it. One size fits all. Kidding of course. I have some oil filter sockets in assorted sizes and a chain-style oil filter wrench I got from J.C. ****** a hundred years ago.

·
Navy Veteran
5,540 Posts
What do those percentages mean? I go by mileage or time, depending on the situation.
Honda has a Maintenance Minder. When you change oil, you set it to 100 percent. Honda software monitors engine use, and counts down the percent to your next oil change. At 40 percent means you have 40 percent of your oil life to use. 60 percent used.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I have changed oil every 5,000 miles regardless of time. As a matter of fact I’m sitting in the garage right now with a beer since I just finished my wife’s 2015 Honda CRV. Since working from home my Civic is lucky to get changed twice a year. Never a problem removing a filter.

Dumb question but do you coat the new filter seal with fresh oil?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts

·
Registered
26,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
Related:

Wife does a lot of short trips -

The RDX usually hits 15% somewhere between 4,100 and 4,300 miles which is about 10 months.

She did not drive as much over the last year because of COVID-19.

It costs me $16.25 to change the oil in her vehicle using Mobile1 0W20 I bought with a rebate.

One a year is normal and short trips are hard on oil.

·
Registered
26,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 · (Edited)
In my experience an oil filter wrench is only needed for that first oil change after you buy the car. That first change can be a biatch getting the filter off.

After that it’s hand tightening with fingers only. No more need for the wrench. I did just buy a new breaker bar for my new 4Runner to get that filter housing off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have always needed a tool for the first 1/2 inch of turn after that they always came off by hand.

Still true except I have been having a harder time moving it that first 1/2 inch.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
26,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I have changed oil every 5,000 miles regardless of time. As a matter of fact I’m sitting in the garage right now with a beer since I just finished my wife’s 2015 Honda CRV. Since working from home my Civic is lucky to get changed twice a year. Never a problem removing a filter.

Yes - fresh oil on the rubber gasket- I always thought that was more to prevent the gasket from being dislodged from the filter during installation than to aid in removal - but I can see it could do both.

I have seen the rubber gasket stay stuck to the vehicle when the filter is removed.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Former "Walmart Shopper"
4,746 Posts

Had a customer demand we use fresh oil on the gasket. I told him we only use the finest imported Italian extra virgin motor oil on filter gaskets.

All your trying to do is keep the old gasket from sticking to the block, so just use a dab of the old oil that comes out when you remove the old filter.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts