Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
26,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been changing the oil in my Tahoe every 3,000 miles or 18 months whichever comes first!

Last week changed the oil 2,975 miles and 16 months since the last one - and man was that filter a PITA to remove.

I just did my wife's RDX - 12 months and 3,700 miles and it was also a PITA

I am thinking maybe the long time between changes is causing the filter to be harder to remove. I know I did not over tighten it -I just spin it on then 3/4 turn by hand.

I have always used this type

But they seem to slip and not remove it like they use to -

I am thinking I need a better wrench - what type do you all like?

I would need two different sizes of this type

Something else??

Maybe I am just not as strong as I use to be -

·
Native Mainiac
24,556 Posts
I use a fabric strap wrench and it works fine slipping up onto the filter under my GMC truck. Also comes in hand with snowmobile and ATV clutch work...Can use a 1/2 breaker bar, which is over kill for oil filters.

Need to keep the fabric clean though...

·
Senior Moment
6,983 Posts
For it, I use #3 to get to the cursed cartridge filter.
Yes, what's with that? After all these years we are back to cleaning the goop out of the can. I busted the strap on my filter wrench helping a neighbor kid change the oil in his Prius. No other filter wrench I had would work, so I took a large set of Channel Locks and they worked very well on that tiny filter.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
I use the last two types the OP posted. I've never had one stuck yet but as the gentleman above me posted be sure to put a light coat on the rubber gasket before you screw it back on.

·
Senior Moment
6,983 Posts
Also while talking about oil changes, on the Prius it looked like a crush washer on the drain plug. I'm used to synthetic washers. I re-used the old washer. Done been smashed flat. Is this OK?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have and have used all those displayed here. On the boat, I used the rubber strap ones that you have, and they always worked great. I never could get the fabric strap kind with the breaker bar to work, I guess I am not coordinated enough. On my Toyota I have to use the socket type.

·
Anti-Federalist
22,397 Posts
Also while talking about oil changes, on the Prius it looked like a crush washer on the drain plug. I'm used to synthetic washers. I re-used the old washer. Done been smashed flat. Is this OK?

If it isn't leaking it isn't a problem right? That said, crush washers are a single use item.

·
Registered
26,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use a fabric strap wrench and it works fine slipping up onto the filter under my GMC truck. Also comes in hand with snowmobile and ATV clutch work...Can use a 1/2 breaker bar, which is over kill for oil filters.

Need to keep the fabric clean though...

View attachment 932120
Never seen one like that.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
That strap wrench (#1) that you say is not as good as it was... probably just isn't as good as it was. The strap part is probably rubbed smooth, so it doesn't grab like it used to. If you like that style, just buy a new one.

I use #3, #4, and #6 -- depending on the vehicle and the situation with the filter.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Senior Moment
6,983 Posts
i oil the gasket and install as z71bill. some seem to tighten? dont know why.
The gaskets are designed to swell in contact with oil. If the filter is installed too tight to begin with, it will be really tight when the gasket swells.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts